Please compare S3 to GNex for those of you who have both!

kath00

Sep 8, 2011
Visit site
For those of you who were lucky enough to get the phone right away, could you please post your impressions of the S3 compared to the GNex if you have both phones. Size, signal strength, call quality, screen, and loudness of the ring tone especially.

I would appreciate any info!

Katherine (im)patiently waiting in San Diego

20blks

Nov 10, 2010
Visit site
I have the At&t version but I had it side by side with a friends Gnex. Feels about the same size but the G3 is lighter and just has a better feel in my opinion. Also, screen is bigger on the G3

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I747 using Android Central Forums

Cyber Warrior

Robots Will Kill
Nov 28, 2010
Visit site
I haven't seen the Verizon version yet.. only Sprint, but I can tell you the volumes are WAY louder on the GSIII compared to the GNex.

skiddingus

Jan 3, 2011
Visit site
My wife and I both had the Gnex and now we both have the S3. The S3 is much better from first impressions but I am desperately looking for some reliable rooting instructions. I miss the aftermarket rom features from my Gnex. Speaker doesn't seem any louder on the S3 but the call quality seems a little better. I have only had them a couple hours so I can't say much yet.

Dave4321

Jan 12, 2011
Visit site
My wife and I both had the Gnex and now we both have the S3. The S3 is much better from first impressions but I am desperately looking for some reliable rooting instructions. I miss the aftermarket rom features from my Gnex. Speaker doesn't seem any louder on the S3 but the call quality seems a little better. I have only had them a couple hours so I can't say much yet.

You can't root the Verizon GS3 yet. Verizon added some additional anti-root code that the people at xda need to get around.

kath00

Sep 8, 2011
Visit site
Thanks for the first impressions! Can't wait to get mine so that I can, from the sounds of it, pass down the GNex to DD...

g1toevo678

Jun 11, 2010
Visit site
Its obviously a better phone but I dont think its such a huge leap forward from the gnex that I would wholeheartedly recommend it unless the person has an extra upgrade burning a hole in their pocket.

Not having part of the screen taken up by the on screen buttons is nice. And the camera is a worthwhile improvement. Speed is better but unless you measure your life in milliseconds, not really that noticeable.

Sent from my GT-P6210 using Tapatalk 2

PsYcHoNeWb

Feb 17, 2011
Visit site
Its obviously a better phone but I dont think its such a huge leap forward from the gnex that I would wholeheartedly recommend it unless the person has an extra upgrade burning a hole in their pocket.

Not having part of the screen taken up by the on screen buttons is nice. And the camera is a worthwhile improvement. Speed is better but unless you measure your life in milliseconds, not really that noticeable.

Sent from my GT-P6210 using Tapatalk 2

Woah hold on their cowboy. I have both and the Galaxy S3 is NOT a huge leap forward. If anything it is a side step. If you want a phone that works out of the box and easy to use go for the Galaxy S3. If you are a crackflasher (like myself) and like to tinker and toy with your phone get a Galaxy Nexus. Personally, I miss my Galaxy Nexus for some features while I like the GS3 for some of its new features.

I am posting a review comparison of the two later today, since now I have mine I can finish the review. I will post a link to it in this thread later.

Necrocis

Apr 28, 2010
Visit site
Another switcher here, posting this on Wifi. I posted in regards to the signal here
http://forums.androidcentral.com/showthread.php?p=1934635

People receiving your phone--how is the signal strength?

The biggest thing for me so far going from the on screen buttons to physical buttons especially the home buttons.

You may want to select a case with no ridge at the bottom too. I have a Trident Aegis on it right now, I have large fingers so it's been an adjustment for sure.

The overall size seems similar. The big difference is the weight even with a case. Naked the S3 feels like Nexus cut down the middle (with extended 2100).

Sent from my Galaxy Nexus using Tapatalk 2

Last edited:

Fillyo

Aug 7, 2010
Visit site
I just got my S3 yesterday, bought the Nexus on day 1. Overall, I like the look and feel of the S3 a little better, the blue looks really nice. Screen goes a nod to the S3. In regards to buttom buttons, prefer the Nexus for sure. I am hoping for the bootloader issue to be solved, as Jelly Bean was flawless and fantastic on my Nexus. Battery life, I got 15 hours with over 2 hours of screen on-time, that is better than my Nexus with the extended battery, could barely get 1.25 hours of screen on-time on the Nexus. The motion is nice, love being able to answer a text, click on the person, and just bring it to your ear and it automatically calls them. On the other hand, google voice on Jelly Bean is much faster than S voice. Lastly, reception and maintaining 4g seems better, but not significantly. I will do some tests this evening, as my step daughter now has my former Jelly Bean running Nexus.:-$

willstilson

Mar 19, 2011
Visit site
Pretty sure that's what he said - " but I dont think its such a huge leap forward from the gnex"

Woah hold on their cowboy. I have both and the Galaxy S3 is NOT a huge leap forward. If anything it is a side step. If you want a phone that works out of the box and easy to use go for the Galaxy S3. If you are a crackflasher (like myself) and like to tinker and toy with your phone get a Galaxy Nexus. Personally, I miss my Galaxy Nexus for some features while I like the GS3 for some of its new features.

I am posting a review comparison of the two later today, since now I have mine I can finish the review. I will post a link to it in this thread later.

kath00

Sep 8, 2011
Visit site
Thank you so much for the great comments and comparisons so far. Looking forward to hearing more details...

Mine is coming MOnday and will contribute my own thoughts on this thread when I get it. I got the GNex on day 1 also but have stock OS running on it. Katherine

skinnytoo2

Apr 21, 2010
Visit site
I'll have mine on Monday also and will be able to compare with my GN. I can even activate the GN on another line on my account. So that way both devices will be working and right next to each other to compare everything.

Sent from my JB Galaxy Nexus using Tapatalk 2

Reactions: kath00

Ken7

May 25, 2011
Visit site

I think we have a long way to go before we can say 'it's obviously a better phone'. Reports of reception are not great so far, so I'd wait before declaring which is better.

haevolution

Jul 8, 2012
Visit site
Agree with others above but two things not mentioned:

GPS - locks way faster. It was wonky on my Nexus at times.
Camera - much much better quality. Maybe much much much better even.

kath00

Sep 8, 2011
Visit site
Got mine today and have been playing with it for about 4 hours. Initial impressions are that WOW, it is WAAAAAY nicer than my GNex. I was pleasantly surprised because I was expecting a small step up only.

1) MUCH lighter and thinner. Easier on my hands despite me liking big phones.
2) Screen space better laid out so more space for everything. Also love having 7 screens out of the box too so I don't have to install 3rd party like go launcher just to get my 7 screens up.
3) Screen is nicer. Brighter and easier to read outside, even set to relatively low brightness (I had it set to 1/3 up on the sliding bar and could see great outdoors). Inside now at night it is just stunningly brilliant.
4) Camera is MUCH better than my GNext in the dark. Flash is not blowing everything (like my poor dog) to white. While I have a 3rd party camera app, the stock app is quite nice and capable so far.
5) MUCH louder ringtones and louder speakerphone. Thank goodness.
6) Reception seems equal (equally poor, that is, at my house). I wasn't expecting an improvement but I am a little bummed that it is not better.
7) Faster overall. Quicker to open apps, pics, zoom in and out of pix, start up games like Tiny Tower, etc.
8) Nice touches with the double tap to scroll to the top. Still exploring the other motion triggered actions but prob won't be using them much.
9) Setup was easy and trouble free. Activate SIM card BEFORE turning on phone to make sure it will work correctly. I also like having removable SD card again. Missed it on my GNex.
10) Nicer keyboard and better "swype" type functions so far. Phone also just feels slicker. Can't explain except to say that it's a personal yummyness feeling when using the phone to do things.
11) Love how the scroll down information bar has so many things you can adjust (like brightness, sound, GPS, Bluetooth, power saving, etc plus a shortcut to the settings button)
12) Thank you to whomever put back the longpress on the home screen to add an icon or widget again. Never understood why it was removed on the GNex.
13) Pretty minimal bloatware surprisingly. VCast, VZW Navigator, some video player, My Verizon, and Music Hub? That's about it. Will try to hide in a folder if that's possible...

Biggest thing: AMAZING BATTERY LIFE! Have been using it for 3 1/2 hours basically nonstop including phone calls, downloading apps, rearranging the screen icons, etc and the thing is still at 65% battery life. And I didn't bother to charge it all the way because I got impatient, only to about 80%. YIPEEEE. This is a huge one for me.

VERY happy so far. Thinking of selling GNex and buying DD the S3 also since it's so much lighter and the battery life is so much better!

Katherine

Last edited:

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
WillyC