The List of things Verizon changed on the SIII

JGR4444

Nov 9, 2009
Visit site
I guess my only question (and im not extactly complaining) why does Verizon, or any other cell phone carrier change things from how they were originally? I understand they want to put their own twist on their phones but they need to realize that enough is enough and they can add but not change. Think about VZ navigator... how'd that work out for ya? Add features that glorify your Verizon name, do not change the device to make it the way YOU want... after all its about US isnt it? Just a rant....

blueyzfr6

Nov 13, 2010
Visit site
For point 4, maybe you should pay your bill on time. Also, Having the ability to put your phone on your bill is royalty and only Verizon offers it. People put phones on their bill, then nto Verizon when their bill comes in and forgets they ever added it to their bill.

I've NEVER been late, So you're point is invalid. I have also did that with my Thunderbolt, Droid 1, Dare and Samsung 670

The Hustleman

May 28, 2010
Visit site
The op is right, why remove those features?

There's no good reason to.

Just leave verizon

you'll save a lot of money monthly.

*swyped from the evo so excuse any typos*

The Hustleman

May 28, 2010
Visit site
Also, why won't google just put their foot down and say NO CHANGING OUR PHONES?

Take them as they are or don't take them.

Problem solved

dmmarck

Retired Moderator
Dec 28, 2011
Visit site
Also, why won't google just put their foot down and say NO CHANGING OUR PHONES?

Take them as they are or don't take them.

Problem solved

They did. Why do you think they offer a Nexus? Open source is what it is; it can be changed and altered by anyone.

Sent from Oliver, Lord of Time and Space and All Things Gelatinous

Reactions: Ry

wowpaw

Feb 8, 2010
Visit site
Soooo.. back to that list of things changed on the Verizon S3.. cause, well, that was the point of this thread yeah?

-Bootloader locked.
-Wifi toggle gone
-Have read screen mode has disappeared too?

kjung7

Mar 28, 2011
Visit site
Soooo.. back to that list of things changed on the Verizon S3.. cause, well, that was the point of this thread yeah?

-Bootloader locked.
-Wifi toggle gone

I think the screen mode has even removed from all US variants

kjung7

Mar 28, 2011
Visit site

-Bootloader locked.
-Wifi toggle gone

I heard all US variants don't have the screen mode settings

syrianrue

Sep 10, 2010
Visit site
Remember when blackberry's on verizon had locked gps? You were forced to use vznavigator instead of gmaps...fun times...Anyways, on topic, toggle for wifi is annoying but can be dealt with by various measures, I just threw a BeautifulWidgets toggle on my homescreen. Locked bootloader, eh it's being worked on, current workaround isn't terrible, and the phone is *technically* not out yet, so anything could change. Would be nice to get screen modes, but apparently nobody in the US did, so that's not really a verizon issue.

ultravisitor

Aug 29, 2010
Visit site
for those complaining about the bootloader, even the Verizon Galaxy Nexus came with a locked bootloader from the factory. When Google's flagship developer phone had locked bootloader, it would be pretty hard for any other phone to NOT come with a locked bootloader

The Nexus One even had a locked bootloader. The issue is that the Nexus phones are easy to unlock, while the GSIII bootloader might turn out to be encrypted. If that's the case, then it'll never be unlocked.

diesteldorf

Dec 1, 2010
Visit site
I didn't just say Wi-fi toggle, that's not that bad, but a locked boot loader when all other variants aren't was pretty big for me

Does anyone know if its just locked but unencrypted or locked and encrypted? If it's encrypted too (a la many MOTO devices) I would be really upset since cracking it will be difficult if not impossible, but if it's unencrypted, I would think it would be likely that developers would find a way to unlock it.

Does anyone think a developer could still crack an encrypted boot loader using the firmware from the unlocked international versions. I think this was how the original At&T Atrix was unlocked.

If it is unlocked and encrypted it really makes me doubt whether we'll see another Nexus released.

Maybe the original VZW Nexus was only allowed to remain open and unlocked because VZW wanted to be the first with an ICS phone and didn't want any ill will from Google by locking down their flagship phone.

I'll stick with my VZW Nexus but for those switching to the SGIII I hope it is locked but unencrypted it'll eventually be unlocked eventually IMO.

hokiesteve

Sep 11, 2011
Visit site
Re: The List of How Verizon Screwed Us Over

I don't understand the relationship of Android in its various flavors and the GPL. Wouldn't a vendor be required to make available the source of any software they use under the GPL? I don't think the GPL makes mention of the right to freely access any hardware running GPL-compliant software. If that's accurate, then there are no user rights or license terms being violated. It's got to be a pretty complicated legal situation. Food for thought, I guess.
The vendor is only required to release the source code. However, locking down the device the binaries were shipped on violates the spirit and intention of the GPL.

Another thought game. Assuming I don't have a clue about wireless device marketing (and you'd be right with that assumption), would the loudest complainers about locked bootloaders, bloatware, poor interfaces, et al be willing to foot the costs for a phone without any of that stuff? The difference in cost would be there to cover any subsidized costs of bloatware publishers. I have no idea what Slacker or Skype pay Verizon (if they pay anything at all) to put their trash on my Inc. The increased cost if the unlocked model would also help cover any estimated support that Joe Sixpack would need to un-brick the unlocked phone he decided to go with so he could be like the cool kids.
The cost for such a phone is pretty easy. Take a look at the pricing for the Nexus on the Google Play store and there you have it. I would imagine it's cheaper than developing a device with a custom skin and bloatware. Warranty and support are pretty easy for modified devices that have had the bootloader unlocked. You either charge for support on modified devices or don't provide support. Either way is fine so long as there is a fool proof way to completely restore the device through fastboot. Again, the Nexus model is where to look to for this. As for the bloatware, it wouldn't be nearly as irritating if it were uninstallable, much like how the bloatware is on Windows PCs.

I guess if you're a company like Apple, you have the beans to dictate to the carriers what goes on your hardware and what doesn't. Maybe the manufacturers need to start pushing back.

Yes, they should. So should Google.

Last edited:

rage151

Apr 21, 2011
Visit site
Does anyone know if its just locked but unencrypted or locked and encrypted? If it's encrypted too (a la many MOTO devices) I would be really upset since cracking it will be difficult if not impossible, but if it's unencrypted, I would think it would be likely that developers would find a way to unlock it.

Does anyone think a developer could still crack an encrypted boot loader using the firmware from the unlocked international versions. I think this was how the original At&T Atrix was unlocked.

If it is unlocked and encrypted it really makes me doubt whether we'll see another Nexus released.

Maybe the original VZW Nexus was only allowed to remain open and unlocked because VZW wanted to be the first with an ICS phone and didn't want any ill will from Google by locking down their flagship phone.

I'll stick with my VZW Nexus but for those switching to the SGIII I hope it is locked but unencrypted it'll eventually be unlocked eventually IMO.

I posted a link to XDA just s few posts up.

If you read it, they have gained root. The bootloader is locked and encrypted. So, custom ROMs are applicable now. Just no custom kernels, radios, etc...

They (XDA) are working on the bootloader...

Last edited:
Reactions: diesteldorf

hokiesteve

Sep 11, 2011
Visit site
I think the screen mode has even removed from all US variants

-Bootloader locked.
-Wifi toggle gone

It's also my understanding that Verizon had an ongoing notification added that won't go away when you are not on Wifi and there's no way to clear it unless you connect to a wifi hotspot.

http://www.droid-life.com/2012/07/06/yo-verizon-whats-with-this-ongoing-wi-fi-toggle-notification/

liteon163

Mar 19, 2010
Visit site
How much more Verizon bloatware is there on the SGS3 than the other US versions?

Isn't that what the OP was really asking?

Sent from my LG Spectrum using Tapatalk 2.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Laila Nance