Messaging App Lagging, Not Responding, Bad, Etc

bduncan6

Jul 7, 2012
Visit site
I am coming from the HTC Incredible 2. I guess I had just under 9000 text messages and used Mybackup PRO to back them up and restore them onto the S3.

I have noticed a LOT of lag when opening and exiting the Messaging (stock sms/mms) app. Also, frequently when sending a text it will take forever to send-- not likely a network/signal problem-- and has a handful of times stopped responding which required a force close.

I don't know if this is a kink that will work itself out, if it is a Samsung/TouchWiz thing, or if this is an issue with the restore from Mybackup PRO, but I can tell you the Incredible 2 had no problem loading and scrolling though this volume of messages. This is really the only area of the phone that has any lag/FC issue...

Yes, I could probably delete some old ones, but that really isn't the point.

Ideas? Anyone else with the same issue?

nexsin

Jun 30, 2011
Visit site
To be perfectly honest, i would delete a lot of those, you could keep the back up incase you ever need to see them. But with 9000 messages having to load it just bogs down the app.

bduncan6

Jul 7, 2012
Visit site
Thanks for the advise, but the real question here is why is it lagging/force closing? The Incredible 2 is a much slower phone and had no problem working smoothly.

If it is an issue with Mybackup PRO, I would like to notify them of that. Or if it is just a general Samsung thing or typical issue when restoring a bunch of texts, then that would help me be more patient and not want to drop kick my phone when it acts up-- especially if it is something that is typical in the beginning after a restore and then works its way out.

Thanks!

shantheman#AC

Jun 13, 2010
Visit site
Samsung may choose to manage their messaging app differently than your old dinc. Im with the previous post...delete those and just keep them in back up. That is the source of the lag and freezing.

GSDer

Jan 30, 2011
Visit site
Before you nuke those messages why don't you just try a 3rd party messaging app? If the problem goes away then you can be pretty sure it's just a poor app provided by Samsung. If the problem continues then perhaps it was a bad restore by My Backup.
You could also try backing the SMS/MMS up with a different app that just focuses on SMS/MMS, then nuke the content and restore it from that app.

Sent from my rooted, debloated, deodexed Sinclair ZX-80 running CM 0.001 using Tapatalk 2

dirtbiker0025

Apr 30, 2010
Visit site
I know this an old threat but I recently got 5 mms texts today from one person and my phone went on the fritz, it kept saying sports tap is not responding at least four times and touchwiz also got one error. I un installed the sports tap app and deleted the thread from the person and rebooted. I also rebooted once before the deletions and no change but after deleting both it fixed the problem I have since reinstalled sports tap and it's all working fine. It's a little frustrating not knowing whether it was the app or the texts but it's a little disappointing that a brand new flagship phone can't handle having 7 mms total in one thread. Btw I have the max at 200/20 before this problem arose. This is the first time anything like this happened.