phone gets extremely hot

pdrozdek

Mar 31, 2011
Visit site
My phone is running warm/hot. I have a low Antutu benchmark test. I'm getting 6830 with all apps killed. Should be 1k higher. Lemon? Can others do a Antutu Default all test and post score. Thank you.

paintdrinkingpete

Dec 12, 2009
Visit site
Whenever I watch my Slingplayer app for more than a few minutes the phone gets very hot. I've considered scaling the processor down to see if that would help...

I hate this phrase so much (even though its true). I don't see why companies can't just incorporate a lot of these simple things into the phone instead of having separate apps that can do it. Little things like rotating home screen.

I realize I'm reviving a somewhat old thread, but you could make the same argument the other way, as in "why do companies load these phones with so much software and crapware I never intend to use!" The key of course is finding a perfect balance between building an efficient OS *AND* providing the necessary tools to make it as user-friendly as possible. Frankly, I'd prefer to have to to the Market and find a few apps than to have a phone full of bloated useless code.

BdotTirrell

Nov 13, 2012
Visit site
I purchased my S3 in August (sprint) and I never had an issue with heat. My sister just purchased hers and I've noticed how warm it gets. I wouldn't say extreme. I've checked all background running apps and turned off S voice, NFC and S beam but it still get's warm. I've even forced updated to Jellybean (LOVE IT) but couldn't do hers. I told her to take back to Sprint and have them test the battery. Any suggestions?

paintdrinkingpete

Dec 12, 2009
Visit site
I purchased my S3 in August (sprint) and I never had an issue with heat. My sister just purchased hers and I've noticed how warm it gets. I wouldn't say extreme. I've checked all background running apps and turned off S voice, NFC and S beam but it still get's warm. I've even forced updated to Jellybean (LOVE IT) but couldn't do hers. I told her to take back to Sprint and have them test the battery. Any suggestions?

So...is it just hot when it's sitting there idle, or does it get hot when she's using it? Because the latter may not really be abnormal...

For example, if normal use for you is checking email, but normal use for her is watching videos and playing games, her phone will indeed be much warmer to the touch.

lteitelb

Oct 29, 2010
Visit site
My Verizon Galaxy S3 (SCH-I535) sometimes gets extremely hot when it is in my pocket. I live in LA, where we have plenty of 4G, so i don't think that's it. I have seen this supposition about an app keeping the radio on before. Any thoughts on how to track it down?

davidnc

Super Moderator
Jun 8, 2010
Visit site

GSDer

Jan 30, 2011
Visit site
Welcome to the forums!You quoted some older post without providing any specific information regarding your problem. The phone shouldn't be hot on a regular basis, although if you're doing something like using mobile data + a navigation app + charging then it would be normal for the phone to get hot; or playing a processor/graphics intensive game.

You'll have to provide more information about your problem and circumstances.

Sent from my rooted, debloated, deodexed Sinclair ZX-80 running CM -0.001 using Tapatalk

jokeyhaha

Sep 17, 2012
Visit site
Mine gets really hot as well. I've noticed it happening under two scenarios: When I have it plugged in to my car and I'm using the GPS (for trips usually over 2 hours) and when it's in my winter coat pocket. I take it out of the case when I'm using the GPS.

GSDer

Jan 30, 2011
Visit site
When I have it plugged in to my car and I'm using the GPS (for trips usually over 2 hours)
This is to be expected - here's the rationale:
- the phone is charging
- you're running a graphics/processor intensive app
- you're (more than likely) using mobile data
- you're using the GPS
- the phone is still trying to do all of its normal background tasks

I can't speak to the winter coat issue, but if it's in a case and in a pocket it probably can't dissipate the normal heat burden that it generates.

Sent from my rooted, debloated, deodexed Sinclair ZX-80 running CM -0.001 using Tapatalk

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
19escape20