phone gets extremely hot

gera815

Jun 4, 2010
Visit site
I received my phone today and it gets really hot whenever I use data like being online or when I am charging it. Is there something I can do for that

johnatthebar

Nov 17, 2009
Visit site
I've read of a few people noting this. I know that many had this issue with the GNex when it first launched (though I never did). An update a few weeks or so after launch remedied this and increased batt life.

Can't be sure the same thing will happen, but often this is because the processor is just working harder than it should. Try using a system monitoring app and see if anything is constantly using resources.

mizzoudrew

Jun 22, 2012
Visit site
I received my phone today and it gets really hot whenever I use data like being online or when I am charging it. Is there something I can do for that

I would say that it gets "pretty warm" instead of "really hot." However, that was with non-stop heavy use today. Hasn't been too warm at all with regular use this evening.

dubge

Dec 21, 2009
Visit site
mine was really warm/hot at first but now it seems fine, maybe it was just over working reinstalling everything

Defy-Me

Jul 10, 2012
Visit site
Check your resources/ ram usage. Cut down on data usage or buy a new battery as some batterys fry easy..

Your Faithful Decoder/GFX

JohnPA2006

Jul 7, 2010
Visit site
Not that I blame you, but honestly that shouldn't be the case.
Why couldn't Samsun put out the phone with an OS that doesn't cause the phone to
get hot enough to fry an egg.
My Verizon GNex did this, and now the Galaxy S3 does this.
Horrible battery life, and super hot to touch.

Other than that the phones screens are awesome.
just don't plan on being able to last an entire day with it, and wrap it in foil so it wont burn your pants.

mesocyclonic

Jun 28, 2012
Visit site
My phone has gotten a little warm in weak signal areas, but only if I'm also heavily using the data connection/CPU as well. Still have excellent battery life despite that.

dmcman73

May 20, 2010
Visit site
Phones getting hot when they are in constant use is nothing new. On my old "dumb phones" if I was on the phone for a bit I would feel the phone getting warm/hot. Every smart phone I have had has always gotten warm/hot when using it non stop (surfing the web, playing game, etc), even my wife's iPhone does this. When you are using it non stop you have a lot of factors going on in such a tiny package with no ideal cooling. Between the heat from the screen, processor, memory and the battery as it is being discharged, you get one hot device, this is normal.

If the phone is getting hot just sitting in your pocket then you have an issue with an app that is keeping your data radio open where it is either trying to download an update or your phone is flipping between 3G and 4G trying to lock on.

SSHGuru

Banned
Dec 15, 2009
Visit site
My Galaxy Nexus get's very hot when talking on the phone or when it's struggling to get a signal.

I just deal with it. I see the S III has the same issue.

The harder you work the processor the hotter these phones will get. Hopefully someday they will remedy it.

t35rk

Mar 16, 2012
Visit site
My Sg3 runs the coolest out of the 4 android phones that I have owned.

Sent from my SCH-I535 using Android Central Forums

phone-a-holic

Jun 15, 2012
Visit site
So is this the norm for them to run hot. And I do mean hot. I am getting a replacement from Sprint because it is too hot to touch. All it is doing is searching for signal, but weird thing is I have 4 bars but the 3g symbol is constantly changing 3g/4g. never stable.

VicVinegar

Jun 12, 2012
Visit site
An update to my previous statement, my phone did indeed get very hot yesterday. Could be a combination of using Waze, charging, a hot day, and it was getting hit with sun.

My question is, how hot is too hot? I attached a shot of the battery temp. You can clearly see when it decided to heat up, which was when I got in my car. Reached a peak of 140.

View attachment 33416

Sent from my SCH-I535 using Tapatalk 2

potman23

Aug 8, 2012
Visit site
There is an app for that. Its called Cool Down Phone. You cant use data while its active, but it will help cool down the phone faster. :)

lbkiml

Jul 2, 2012
Visit site
There is an app for that. Its called Cool Down Phone. You cant use data while its active, but it will help cool down the phone faster. :)

I hate this phrase so much (even though its true). I don't see why companies can't just incorporate a lot of these simple things into the phone instead of having separate apps that can do it. Little things like rotating home screen.