Welcome to the Android Central Forums Create Your Account or Ask a Question Answers in 5 minutes - no registration required!
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Like Tree1Likes
  1. Thread Author  Thread Author    #1  

Default phone gets extremely hot

I received my phone today and it gets really hot whenever I use data like being online or when I am charging it. Is there something I can do for that

Global Posts
    184 Global Posts
    ROM
    ICS 4.0.4 (stock), JB 4.1

Default Re: phone gets extremely hot

I've read of a few people noting this. I know that many had this issue with the GNex when it first launched (though I never did). An update a few weeks or so after launch remedied this and increased batt life.

Can't be sure the same thing will happen, but often this is because the processor is just working harder than it should. Try using a system monitoring app and see if anything is constantly using resources.
    BH, Certified Geekologist

I would give it a day or two. On the day you activate the phone it is doing a lot of updating, syncing, ect...

Quote Originally Posted by gera815 View Post
    I received my phone today and it gets really hot whenever I use data like being online or when I am charging it. Is there something I can do for that
    I would say that it gets "pretty warm" instead of "really hot." However, that was with non-stop heavy use today. Hasn't been too warm at all with regular use this evening.

Global Posts
    1,377 Global Posts
    ROM
    Always changing

mine was really warm/hot at first but now it seems fine, maybe it was just over working reinstalling everything
    Samsung Galaxy Note 3

Definitely gets hotter than the GS2...I cant remember that phone ever getting hot to the touch.

Check your resources/ ram usage. Cut down on data usage or buy a new battery as some batterys fry easy..

Your Faithful Decoder/GFX

what temp are you hitting on battery monitor widget or similar and what is ambient.

Global Posts
    4 Global Posts

Not that I blame you, but honestly that shouldn't be the case.
    Why couldn't Samsun put out the phone with an OS that doesn't cause the phone to
    get hot enough to fry an egg.
    My Verizon GNex did this, and now the Galaxy S3 does this.
    Horrible battery life, and super hot to touch.

Other than that the phones screens are awesome.
    just don't plan on being able to last an entire day with it, and wrap it in foil so it wont burn your pants.

ROM
    Stock

My phone has gotten a little warm in weak signal areas, but only if I'm also heavily using the data connection/CPU as well. Still have excellent battery life despite that.
    dadathepanda likes this.

Phones getting hot when they are in constant use is nothing new. On my old "dumb phones" if I was on the phone for a bit I would feel the phone getting warm/hot. Every smart phone I have had has always gotten warm/hot when using it non stop (surfing the web, playing game, etc), even my wife's iPhone does this. When you are using it non stop you have a lot of factors going on in such a tiny package with no ideal cooling. Between the heat from the screen, processor, memory and the battery as it is being discharged, you get one hot device, this is normal.

If the phone is getting hot just sitting in your pocket then you have an issue with an app that is keeping your data radio open where it is either trying to download an update or your phone is flipping between 3G and 4G trying to lock on.
    Banned

Global Posts
    664 Global Posts
    ROM
    Lithium

My Galaxy Nexus get's very hot when talking on the phone or when it's struggling to get a signal.

I just deal with it. I see the S III has the same issue.

The harder you work the processor the hotter these phones will get. Hopefully someday they will remedy it.

I haven't noticed any more heat than other phones during extended use.

Sent from my SCH-I535 using Tapatalk 2

Quote Originally Posted by VicVinegar View Post
    I haven't noticed any more heat than other phones during extended use.

Same here, my phone does not get any warmer then any of my previous phones!
    Last edited by didiwags; 07-20-2012 at 11:29 AM.
    X to Rezound to Galaxy S3

My Sg3 runs the coolest out of the 4 android phones that I have owned.

Sent from my SCH-I535 using Android Central Forums

So is this the norm for them to run hot. And I do mean hot. I am getting a replacement from Sprint because it is too hot to touch. All it is doing is searching for signal, but weird thing is I have 4 bars but the 3g symbol is constantly changing 3g/4g. never stable.

An update to my previous statement, my phone did indeed get very hot yesterday. Could be a combination of using Waze, charging, a hot day, and it was getting hit with sun.

My question is, how hot is too hot? I attached a shot of the battery temp. You can clearly see when it decided to heat up, which was when I got in my car. Reached a peak of 140.

phone gets extremely hot-uploadfromtaptalk1343995566464.jpg

Global Posts
    289 Global Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Defy-Me View Post
    Check your resources/ ram usage. Cut down on data usage or buy a new battery as some batterys fry easy..

Your Faithful Decoder/GFX
    You shouldn't have to buy a new battery if its an OEM battery straight out of the box.

There is an app for that. Its called Cool Down Phone. You cant use data while its active, but it will help cool down the phone faster.

Global Posts
    289 Global Posts

Quote Originally Posted by potman23 View Post
    There is an app for that. Its called Cool Down Phone. You cant use data while its active, but it will help cool down the phone faster.
    I hate this phrase so much (even though its true). I don't see why companies can't just incorporate a lot of these simple things into the phone instead of having separate apps that can do it. Little things like rotating home screen.

My phone is running warm/hot. I have a low Antutu benchmark test. I'm getting 6830 with all apps killed. Should be 1k higher. Lemon? Can others do a Antutu Default all test and post score. Thank you.

Whenever I watch my Slingplayer app for more than a few minutes the phone gets very hot. I've considered scaling the processor down to see if that would help...

Quote Originally Posted by lbkiml View Post
    I hate this phrase so much (even though its true). I don't see why companies can't just incorporate a lot of these simple things into the phone instead of having separate apps that can do it. Little things like rotating home screen.
    I realize I'm reviving a somewhat old thread, but you could make the same argument the other way, as in "why do companies load these phones with so much software and crapware I never intend to use!" The key of course is finding a perfect balance between building an efficient OS *AND* providing the necessary tools to make it as user-friendly as possible. Frankly, I'd prefer to have to to the Market and find a few apps than to have a phone full of bloated useless code.

I purchased my S3 in August (sprint) and I never had an issue with heat. My sister just purchased hers and I've noticed how warm it gets. I wouldn't say extreme. I've checked all background running apps and turned off S voice, NFC and S beam but it still get's warm. I've even forced updated to Jellybean (LOVE IT) but couldn't do hers. I told her to take back to Sprint and have them test the battery. Any suggestions?

Quote Originally Posted by BdotTirrell View Post
    I purchased my S3 in August (sprint) and I never had an issue with heat. My sister just purchased hers and I've noticed how warm it gets. I wouldn't say extreme. I've checked all background running apps and turned off S voice, NFC and S beam but it still get's warm. I've even forced updated to Jellybean (LOVE IT) but couldn't do hers. I told her to take back to Sprint and have them test the battery. Any suggestions?
    So...is it just hot when it's sitting there idle, or does it get hot when she's using it? Because the latter may not really be abnormal...

For example, if normal use for you is checking email, but normal use for her is watching videos and playing games, her phone will indeed be much warmer to the touch.

It get's hot/warm just sitting there. As I was charging it, it was getting warmer. My phone doesn't do that at all
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast