Inductive Charging on Verizon Model, Only?

Tampaguy75

Jun 6, 2012
Visit site
Samsung Galaxy S III for Verizon Wireless review -- Engadget

I was reading the Engadget review of the Verizon Samsung Galaxy S3 (see link above), and it said something interesting:

"You're going to see one key difference here that doesn't apply to the other Galaxy S III models we've reviewed thus far: a set of shiny contacts for inductive charging. Verizon's been purveying of wireless power for over a year now by incorporating golden contacts into almost every LTE phone in its lineup. Aside from this unique feature, everything else remains the same as its GSM counterparts (Sprint's GSIII is different in that it utilizes an embedded SIM card)."

I was thinking that ALL Samsung Galaxy S3 phones would have some kind of wireless charging capability. Is it that the Verizon model will have the traditional inductive charging as well as the "resonance" wireless capability that was touted at the Samsung Galaxy S3 "Reveal" Event?

Rapta619

Aug 11, 2010
Visit site
I'm surprised no one else noticed that on the forums, guess the locked bootloader has gotten the most attention.

Sent from my DROIDX using Tapatalk 2

Reactions: Ry

NiveusAranea

Jun 28, 2010
Visit site
I noticed yesturday that Verizon has its normal induction charging pad listed under the S3 accessories but not the special battery cover that is usually required.

perhaps the Verizon S3 was adapted to use Verizons curent induction charging pad?

VicVinegar

Jun 12, 2012
Visit site
From what I've read, it is "ready" for wireless charging, there just isn't a comptabile back cover yet and I guess that is on the way.

More interesting to me is that some people have already taken a Palm Touchstone back cover and adapted it to a S3, so you can use a Touchstone. Seeing I have one Touchstone, and another one is about $4 on Amazon, with another $4 for a Pixi or Pre cover, I hope to find some DIY instructions out there. Plus having the phone sit upright is superior to laying it on a flat charge mat.

Reactions: robrecht

robrecht

Pretty good member
Feb 13, 2011
Visit site
I noticed yesturday that Verizon has its normal induction charging pad listed under the S3 accessories but not the special battery cover that is usually required.

perhaps the Verizon S3 was adapted to use Verizons curent induction charging pad?
Not according to Verizon's description of the wireless charging pad:

"Description
Wire-free charging! Simply place your LTE phone, equipped with a wireless charging battery cover (sold separately) down on the pad to begin wire-free charging!"

WhoMe

Jul 15, 2010
Visit site
Not according to Verizon's description of the wireless charging pad:

"Description
Wire-free charging! Simply place your LTE phone, equipped with a wireless charging battery cover (sold separately) down on the pad to begin wire-free charging!"

This is false. The phone itself does have the contacts for wireless charging however not the back cover to make it work. Mine is sitting on one of the pads now...got it to use with my last two phones (Thunderbolt & Rezound).

See?
SDC11983.jpg

Reactions: hakoreh

WhoMe

Jul 15, 2010
Visit site
Why would you need "a set of shiny contacts" for induction charging?

The shiny contacts on the phone connect to the contacts on a rear cover that usually houses the coil and other hardware that make the inductive charge work.

WhoMe

Jul 15, 2010
Visit site
Right its a three part system. Phone > Contact on back of phone underneath the cover > To contact on back cover > To inductive charging coil and circuit board > To Inductive charging pad, puck or whatever.

Like a wireless chargin SAMMICH! :)

But to address the OP, all the GS3 variants have the capability with the appropriate back cover (Which is NOT availible yet). However I dont know if Samsung's resonance charging tech is inherently different than what Verizon went with in thier charging pads.

WhoMe

Jul 15, 2010
Visit site

WhoMe

Jul 15, 2010
Visit site
So after I read what the OP had posted, I got to wondering about the possibility that Verizon had Samsung make them a different phone in order for it to work with Verizon's charging pad...which is based off of a different inductive charging standard.

So I started lookin at the pics that were out there on the Touchstone mods that have been done and stumbled upon this. Two pair o contacts vs the one that everyone else has. What does this mean?
Phonecontacts.png

robrecht

Pretty good member
Feb 13, 2011
Visit site
This is false. The phone itself does have the contacts for wireless charging however not the back cover to make it work. Mine is sitting on one of the pads now...got it to use with my last two phones (Thunderbolt & Rezound).

See?
Click to view quoted image
What's false??? Seems to me you just said exactly the same thing as the Verizon blurb: "Wire-free charging! Simply place your LTE phone, equipped with a wireless charging battery cover (sold separately) down on the pad to begin wire-free charging!"

SirCodyAtl

Jul 11, 2012
Visit site
Samsung Galaxy S III for Verizon Wireless review -- Engadget

I was reading the Engadget review of the Verizon Samsung Galaxy S3 (see link above), and it said something interesting:

"You're going to see one key difference here that doesn't apply to the other Galaxy S III models we've reviewed thus far: a set of shiny contacts for inductive charging. Verizon's been purveying of wireless power for over a year now by incorporating golden contacts into almost every LTE phone in its lineup. Aside from this unique feature, everything else remains the same as its GSM counterparts (Sprint's GSIII is different in that it utilizes an embedded SIM card)."

I was thinking that ALL Samsung Galaxy S3 phones would have some kind of wireless charging capability. Is it that the Verizon model will have the traditional inductive charging as well as the "resonance" wireless capability that was touted at the Samsung Galaxy S3 "Reveal" Event?

Why would it have A set of Shiny Contacts???? That's not Inductive, that's Conductive....Induction is when each device has a coil of copper the same size in each that is very flat and when they are close to back to back it forms a magnetic field and sends power safely.....contacts that have to touch are conductive and unsafe. You have heard of the Induction Cooktop haven't you? you can put paper between the pan and burner eye and no fire or heat is put to the paper.........This technology is around 100 years old now...

Reactions: melaski7399

SirCodyAtl

Jul 11, 2012
Visit site
Resonance charging is a wireless charging method for items that require large amounts of power, such as an electric car, robot, vacuum cleaner or laptop computer. The method works over small distances (3-5 meters).

SirCodyAtl

Jul 11, 2012
Visit site
I've been using induction for a few years now and I tried to think of why Samsung had last minute thoughts on the charger and heard they were talking to, and then I thought about the company I've followed and here is a BIG hint of why Samsung decided to not go thru with the current induction they had.....because this is better......read below...

FULTON INNOVATION DEMONSTRATES NEW ADVANCES IN WIRELESS POWER TECHNOLOGY AT GSMA MOBILE WORLD CONGRESS 2012
Feb 24, 2012 12:40:00 PM Fulton Innovation
Categories: Corporate

BARCELONA, SPAIN – February 24, 2012 – Fulton Innovation (intelligent wireless power, miniature hydroelectric technology, competitive insights |?Fulton Innovation | eCoupled Splashpower Alkemi-Insights), the creator and exclusive licensor of eCoupled™ intelligent wireless power(eCoupled Home | eCoupled), today announced that it will be attending the GSMA Mobile World Congress event in Barcelona, Spain from February 27 through March 1, 2012. During the past year, Fulton has advanced its wireless power technology capabilities which will be unveiled to European audiences at Mobile World Congress 2012. It will be displaying its technology at the Wireless Power Consortium booth, #1F62 in Hall 1.

Fulton Innovation will be demonstrating wireless power capabilities that can power electronics through various surfaces. For the first time in Europe, Fulton will demonstrate the ability to power devices through metal surfaces, as well as advances in spatial freedom that allow a mobile phone to be charged on an enabled surface while inside a handbag, without the need for wires. Other demonstrations will include several Qi-certified mobile phones that are available in various world markets from several manufacturers – HTC, Motorola, Samsung, LG, Panasonic, and more.

SirCodyAtl

Jul 11, 2012
Visit site
So after I read what the OP had posted, I got to wondering about the possibility that Verizon had Samsung make them a different phone in order for it to work with Verizon's charging pad...which is based off of a different inductive charging standard.

So I started lookin at the pics that were out there on the Touchstone mods that have been done and stumbled upon this. Two pair o contacts vs the one that everyone else has. What does this mean?
Click to view quoted image

The pair over the sim card is where the connection from the coil is and the other is where the coil carries the power to the battery....It would be because this is a big phone and the location for the coil to be couldn't be placed that high up so that the charger will be able to make contact and the phone be able to be more less upright or in Landscape mode...You just can't put the coil at top of phone and the charger be a small unit and the coils line up correctly..........

robrecht

Pretty good member
Feb 13, 2011
Visit site
Resonance charging is a wireless charging method for items that require large amounts of power, such as an electric car, robot, vacuum cleaner or laptop computer. The method works over small distances (3-5 meters).
Thanks. Does this mean that we should expect someone to come out with an accessory that allows the phone to charge by merely being within 3-5 meters of some kind of charging station?

Trending Posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jokomad