Inductive Charging on Verizon Model, Only?

jimbo1mcm

Jun 6, 2012
Visit site
Just called Verizon and they checked and said the wireless back cover is not in stock in any distribution centers as of today. She did find the sku for the blue back cover. I will be notified when it comes in. Samsung and Zens will probably be arriving at the same time. If you look you might find it in a corporate store.

MBSMD

Feb 7, 2010
Visit site
Just called Verizon and they checked and said the wireless back cover is not in stock in any distribution centers as of today. She did find the sku for the blue back cover. I will be notified when it comes in. Samsung and Zens will probably be arriving at the same time. If you look you might find it in a corporate store.

Perhaps they're selling better than we thought - even with basically no advertising. The store I went to had 4 each of blue and white battery doors on the accessory rack but only one charging pad in stock.

Reactions: jimbo1mcm

Neotravy

Aug 8, 2012
Visit site
Hey guys,

I got this and I REALLY want to keep it but the no-case thing is really a deal breaker.

I ordered an extended battery case yesterday to see if it works with the back. I'll report back if it works. If not, this goes back. :(

Reactions: jimbo1mcm

duanedude1

Dec 20, 2009
Visit site
I don't have the charging pad or charging back. I had an idea for someone braver than me.

I was wondering if we could remove the charging coil from the official back (or from a Palm Pre-like was tried before in another thread). Then we could mount the coil inside a TPU case, then use that case without any phone back cover at all. I removed my standard back and the TPU case seems to fit the phone well without it. The TPU case is semi-transparent, so it looks like a see-thru back. There may be enough space in there if the phone is used backless, between the phone and the TPU case. There might even be room for metal or magnets to use a Palm Touchstone for alignment. Would have to make sure the contacts do not move and the battery does not come loose. Have to be sure the case does not come loose either. Does this seem possible, or likely to cause more problems than it is worth?

charlier180

Jul 7, 2010
Visit site
To those who are concerned about cases -- if you do buy the inductive back cover, you will probably not be able to use your existing case -- the phone gets a little thicker and renders most cases unusable.

The inductive charger will work with a case installed, though. So if your case fits, it will charge without having to remove it.

I would really like to have the wireless charger for my S3 but it I have to give up my case then I guess Verizon, Samsung or Powermat will not get my sale. Time will tell I guess.

charlier180

Jul 7, 2010
Visit site
A few hours after my last post yesterday I found a local Verizon store that had the new back covers that support inductive charging (in both colors). For those who are interested, as I suspected, an S3 with the inductive back cover on it will NOT fit in an Otterbox Defender case. The people at the Verizon store were very nice and let me try it before buying it.

Hopefully, the wireless charging that Samsung will be introducing in the not too distant future is not just a rehash of the current inductive charging technology with these same covers. I think many of us need a wireless charging solution that will work with our current cases and not require a special case or require us to remove our S3s from our current case to charge our phones.

WhoMe

Jul 15, 2010
Visit site
Ive decided to pass on the inductive back, I like my case too much and its not worth the added cost to me, counting the money lost on the case.

That being said for those that dont use a case and find themselves in a "use case" that involves picking up and putting down your phone multiple times a day...this is it. I know it sounds like a small thing but not having to physically plug in your phone in a situation like this makes it a very easy and thoughtless way of keeping your phone topped off.

Im selling my charging pad, itll be up on the forum marketplace tonight, but PM if interested.

Neotravy

Aug 8, 2012
Visit site
I think my extended case comes in today. I have some caveats tho.

If the case doesn't fit my new iBolt car dock, the charger goes back.

If the case doesn't fit the wireless charging back, the charger goes back.

Basically there is only a slim chance that I will keep the charger. It's unfortunate because I love the idea. I already had to give up a kickstand (built into my case) for this extended case but if either of the two top apply, back to Verizon it goes.

Ceetar

Jul 27, 2012
Visit site
I would really like to have the wireless charger for my S3 but it I have to give up my case then I guess Verizon, Samsung or Powermat will not get my sale. Time will tell I guess.

Same. I'm sure my case would fit, I'm using a silicone one that looks like the original Game Boy, but I'm also sure the charge wouldn't go through that and taking it off and on would be as annoying as fiddling with a cable anyway.

jam4775

Apr 13, 2010
Visit site
I don't have problem with buying a different back cover. What really pisses me off is that they didn't release it with the phone knowing that it would not fit in cases designed for standard backs. Now I've wasted my money on this case I have now. And all these companies claim to be green... what a environmental waste, Samsung, with these cases that are not usable anymore.

dpham00

Moderator Team VP
Apr 23, 2011
Visit site
companies don't give a hoot about being green, and only do it to improve their image or save money. Like hotels going green by allowing you not to wash your towel every day, or water companies going green by using thinner material. Or credit card companies going green by allowing you not to get paper statements. Yeah, so they are saving money, but is the savings passed on to the consumer?

Neotravy

Aug 8, 2012
Visit site
Got my extended case. It does fit over the back but it doesn't have a kickstand now. I usually buy cases with kickstands and from what I know, there aren't currently any cases with kickstands that will fit this cover.

I'm not sure if it is worth all of this hassle, but it's working in my dock (desktop and car) and charges with the case on.

chewy99

Nov 4, 2012
Visit site
Anybody try this set up? Will this work if my phone has a otterbox defender case? Not my pic but I'm thinking of buying this.

Attachments

• $T2eC16hHJIYE9qUcQYnSBQlW6l,pB!~~48_20.JPG
    $T2eC16hHJIYE9qUcQYnSBQlW6l,pB!~~48_20.JPG
    21.5 KB · Views: 222

WeAreNotAlone

Aug 25, 2011
Visit site

Basically there is only a slim chance that I will keep the charger. It's unfortunate because I love the idea. I already had to give up a kickstand (built into my case) for this extended case but if either of the two top apply, back to Verizon it goes.

Got my extended case. It does fit over the back but it doesn't have a kickstand now. I usually buy cases with kickstands and from what I know, there aren't currently any cases with kickstands that will fit this cover.

I'm not sure if it is worth all of this hassle, but it's working in my dock (desktop and car) and charges with the case on.

Q1: What is the SKU /UPC for the Verizon inductive Samsung S3 back cover?
Q2: Which charging plate are you using? (I'm assuming any QI charger will work)
Q3: What case(s) work with Verizon S3 back cover?
PS: Please post part number(s), Detailed description., if Ebay item copy and paste item description/part number/seller acquired from in addition to posting link to auction.... Reason for COPY and PASTE is Ebay links go stale, info will help someone track down xyz once link go bad.

WeAreNotAlone

Aug 25, 2011
Visit site

Q1: What is the SKU /UPC for the Verizon inductive Samsung S3 back cover?
Q2: Which charging plate are you using? (I'm assuming any QI charger will work)
Q3 : Which cases have you found that will work with the inductive back?

WeAreNotAlone

Aug 25, 2011
Visit site
Anybody try this set up? Will this work if my phone has a otterbox defender case? Not my pic but I'm thinking of buying this.

In post #47, Verizon inductive cover= no-go= Otterbox Defender case

Q1: Did you get the Energizer, separate QI inductive coil shown in the pic?
Q2: Which case are you using?
44933d1352182557-inductive-charging-verizon-model-only-t2ec16hhjiye9qucqynsbqlw6l-pb-48_20.jpg

ScottChapman

Jan 16, 2010
Visit site
My experience (which I think others eluded to) was that once my phone is charged it just cycles through turning on/off charging which wakes the phone up, turns on the display, and alerts me.

Has anyone figured out how to make it NOT do that? Seriously, mine does it a few times every minute. Yes, I can be in the other room, it just seems like the phone shouldn't keep cycling like that...

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Non