Welcome to the Android Central Forums Create Your Account or Ask a Question Answers in 5 minutes - no registration required!
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
Like Tree7Likes

Default Re: Unable to Take Pictures When on Call

Quote Originally Posted by imchandave View Post
    Sorry if this is a little late....

On the International version of the S3 (GT-I9300) running JellyBean 4.1.2, you can enable camera functionality during calls by editing the file:
    /system/csc/feature.xml

Look for the line:
    <CscFeature_Camera_EnableCameraDuringCall>false</CscFeature_Camera_EnableCameraDuringCall>

Change the "false" to "true".

Unfortunately, you will also need root access to remount /system as read-writable in order to edit the file.
    Just tried this on my Sprint GS3 running 4.1.1, and unfortunately it still doesn't work, even after saving the change and rebooting. Oh well, it's not something I'd do often, but it's a nice to have. I'll probably be updating to 4.1.2 soon, so I'll try again then.
    PLEASE, when asking for help provide as much information as possible. We can't help unless we know what the symptoms are and what you did before they began.

LG G3 on Sprint. [Stumped and Bumped, Debloated, Startup apps managed, Trickster, Nova Prime, Swiftkey, G3 Tweakbox]--> Runs smooth as silk, now.

Quote Originally Posted by meyerweb View Post
    Just tried this on my Sprint GS3 running 4.1.1, and unfortunately it still doesn't work, even after saving the change and rebooting. Oh well, it's not something I'd do often, but it's a nice to have. I'll probably be updating to 4.1.2 soon, so I'll try again then.
    Actually, I have discovered the above change DOES work. I had forgotten that using ES File Explorer to edit this file changes the read permissions on the file to rw- --- --- (instead of the correct rw- r-- r--). With the permissions set incorrectly, the system cant read the feature.xml file at all, so it never saw the editing change I made. Tonight I corrected permissions, rebooted, and I can now take a photo while on a call.

Why Samsung, or the carriers, decided to disable this feature I don't know, but if you're rooted it can be enabled. If you're going to try this, I would strongly, very strongly, suggest making a backup of feature.xml before changing anything. And remember to make sure the file permissions are set correctly (rw-r--r--) before rebooting your phone. If you don't understand what this means, and don't have at least a vague familiarity with the syntax of XML, you probably want to avoid messing with this file.
    PLEASE, when asking for help provide as much information as possible. We can't help unless we know what the symptoms are and what you did before they began.

LG G3 on Sprint. [Stumped and Bumped, Debloated, Startup apps managed, Trickster, Nova Prime, Swiftkey, G3 Tweakbox]--> Runs smooth as silk, now.

Global Posts
    156 Global Posts

I have also used this feature frequently on other phones (included Palm Pre Plus and DInc2) and am disappointed that I cannot do it on my SIII.

For those interested, I am often on the phone while shopping and need to send a picture of what I see in the store to either the person I am speaking with or another person who I am texting. Not a necessity, but definitely a convenience that I miss.

I will try the third party camera recommendations, and see if that works.

UPDATE: Downloaded Camera360, and it works like a charm. As a bonus ... when I used Sports Tracker on my DInc2, any pictures I took automatically synced with my workout route. Unfortunately, that was not the case with my SIII. However, with Camera360 it does sync the pictures. Yay!
    Last edited by nsanders; 02-21-2013 at 12:43 PM.

Why is everhine being stupid really is for sexting like we dont ing do it what's the ing point of habing a phome with camera .... god we ing acting like virgin puritan hypocrites

The newest update fixes this issue with the stock camera btw.
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12