Google Music stops when phone goes idle

firetruck41

Jan 1, 2012
Visit site
I did a quick search in this forum, but saw no info. I had the google music player stop about 1 minute after the phone screen went off/idle, it kept doing it and I saw no settings to change it. The Samsung Music player does not have this problem and continues to play, while the screen is off. Is there a fix or setting I can use to fix this?

Also just a FYI, when you plug in the headphones, if you pull down the notification list, you will see a "list" of apps that can use the headphones, but the google music player does not show up.

rion_j

Mar 29, 2010
Visit site
you have got to be kidding me! that is some bs right there if you cant stream from google music when the phone is idle. have you checked the power savings mode? is that checked?

Srambo217

Dec 12, 2010
Visit site
You don't have anything like JuiceDefender or GreenPower installed do you?

Sent from my SCH-I535 using Android Central Forums

firetruck41

Jan 1, 2012
Visit site
you have got to be kidding me! that is some bs right there if you cant stream from google music when the phone is idle. have you checked the power savings mode? is that checked?
Power saving mode is not on/checked. I was not streaming, I was just trying to play offline google music and music in my SD card music library.
You don't have anything like JuiceDefender or GreenPower installed do you?

No, I don't have any power related apps.

I was able to use the Samsung Music app, but that does not access my offline google music, just my regular music library...

Suntan

Mar 16, 2011
Visit site
I've been using Google Music all morning with my BT headphones. So far it has been working great.

It even responds to BT button pushes properly. With my Droid 3, the screen would always wake up whenever you paused or skipped a track from the buttons on the BT earphones. The GSIII leaves the display off like you would expect.

-Suntan

GrooveRite

Sep 30, 2010
Visit site
Which native player are you all using? Google's "Play Music" or Samsung's "Music Player"?? Which do you like best? I like Google's BUT Sammy's can view folders which is how I have most of my MP3's set up in. Don't understand why Google wouldn't allow folder viewing in theirs!

firetruck41

Jan 1, 2012
Visit site
I've been using Google Music all morning with my BT headphones. So far it has been working great.

It even responds to BT button pushes properly. With my Droid 3, the screen would always wake up whenever you paused or skipped a track from the buttons on the BT earphones. The GSIII leaves the display off like you would expect.

-Suntan

Google play music works fine with Bluetooth, just having the timeout/idle/shut down problem with wired headphones.

piper28

Jul 11, 2012
Visit site
Google play music works fine with Bluetooth, just having the timeout/idle/shut down problem with wired headphones.

Hmm, I can reproduce this problem myself. Definitely annoying, I tend to use my phone as a music player most on an airplane, so it'd be plugged in headphones and not streaming music.

socialillz

Aug 21, 2010
Visit site
I tried creating the TC problem. I didn't experience any problems at all. I streamed a song and waited for the screen to timeout and the music continued without a hitch.

piper28

Jul 11, 2012
Visit site
I tried creating the TC problem. I didn't experience any problems at all. I streamed a song and waited for the screen to timeout and the music continued without a hitch.

For me, it's not right when the screen times out, it's probably 15-20 minutes after it. No idea if it happens with streaming, for my test, I did it with music stored locally. Then as soon as I wake the phone up at all, it continues.

firetruck41

Jan 1, 2012
Visit site

Try playing offline music from the phone (not streaming) in the Google Play Music app, use wired headphones, let the screen timeout, then wait a couple of minutes. That is where I had a problem.

Rune Meier

Nov 10, 2012
Visit site
I am facing similar problems, still after the JellyBean upgrade. It often happens when jogging, and especially in cold or moist weather (even if the phone is still dry). It's quite annoying, and happens both with the music player (native) and the FM Radio. When using another player, like offline music from my Wimp (similar to Spotify) app, it can play during a whole maratahon, but with the native sources - not even a 45 minutes run without having to unpause the music.

Chris Milne

Dec 4, 2012
Visit site
This happens to me too, it also happened with google music web on my iphone. It will play for a while and just stop. When i wake the phone back up i see the lights blinking on the currrent song like it's playing but there is no sound. If i hit another song, still no sound...i have to kill and restart the app to get it to play again. I thought i was over this nightmare when i moved to Android. :-\

My phone is on WIFI at home and this still happens. I stream all day from the Google Music website on my PC with no issues ever.

psyjohn

Jan 27, 2012
Visit site
Does Google Music actually stop playing or is it just the sound that stops? Just curious as I have a problem on any and all of my devices with Google Music. It will play a few songs and then the sound just stops. When I look at the app it shows that it is still playing but no sound at all. I have searched for a solution to this problem many times but apparently it is not common since I find no other mention of it anywhere.

Nathaniel Comfort

Jan 17, 2013
Visit site
Had a weird, slightly nightmarish night, trying to fall asleep to music and having it cut out after varying lengths of time, 1-3 mins. Same symptoms--I could see that it THOUGHT it was playing, but no sound. Once or twice, waking it up and touching pause and play again seeded to bring it back, but not always and I was groggy. Eventually gave up and drifted off on my own.
By the clear light of day, found this forum. Figured out how to uninstall updates (menu>>app manager>>google play music). Did so. Problem solved.
Thanks, guys.

And as we say round here whenever we encounter a stupid google issue, Thanks, Sergei.

Trending Posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Laila Nance