Welcome to the Android Central Forums Create Your Account or Ask a Question Answers in 5 minutes - no registration required!
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
Like Tree17Likes
  1. Thread Author  Thread Author    #1  

Default Old Phone -- What are you doing with them?

What is everyone doing with their old phones?

I have the original Droid Inc, and verizon will buy it back for $28. Doesn't seem like it is worth it especially since I have extra batteries, rugged cases, etc. Phone works perfectly well as a Android Touch like device using only WiFi and no phone. It would be nice if I could get Skype to work on it over wifi though (Verizon seems to have killed this feature).

Rich

I sale mine on craigslist, but I don't keep my phones for longer then 4 months. My Galaxy nexus is the longest phone I've kept. I actually just got back on this I've been using my S3 since the release.

Sent from my Galaxy Nexus using Tapatalk 2

Global Posts
    127 Global Posts
    ROM
    stock

Sell mine on craigslist..........

Sent from my SGH-T999 using Android Central Forums

Default Re: Old Phone -- What are you doing with them?

I plan to use my Rezound as my "don't-care-as-much-if-I-lose-it" phone (+camera+mp3 player+gaming console+etc) using local SIM cards during international business trips.

Sell on craigslist

Sold my DX2 to a friend for $150 with a ton of accessories. It was only like 3 months old and he was using a dumb phone he'd be stuck with for another 16 months.

Sent from my SCH-I535 using Android Central Forums

ROM
    Stock

I donate most of them to the local battered women's shelter.
    Thanked by:
    Retired Moderator

Global Posts
    10,751 Global Posts
    ROM
    AOSP, & stock.

Giving my 4s to my daughter, if she keeps her grades up, she won't loose it.

I usually sell mine on Ebay, but my old phone is a Charge. Best Buy, where I picked up my S3, said they'd buy it back for $90. I could proably get a bit more from Ebay, but this will be simpler. I'm bringing my Charge to them tomorrow

I normally give mine away to charities that help battered women.

However, this time I'm going to see what Best Buy will give me for it (original DInc) when I pick up my pre order tomorrow.

Wasn't quite ready on the monetary front for my upgrade so every little bit would help
    Thanked by:
    MERCDROID likes this.

I gave my Droid X to my 5 year old grandson. I download games on it for him to play and he likes to take pictures.

Sent from my DROID RAZR using Tapatalk 2

Gave my DX to my 7 yr old with 7 screens worth of games on it. He still prefers his Ipod though. Debating whether to upgrade the DX to my old Gnex to see if it can supplant the Ipod.

Sent from my SCH-I535 using Tapatalk 2

I found Samsung Upgrade through Facebook. They're willing to give me $200 for my four month "old" LG Spectrum. Just mailed it off today.

Sent from my Blue 32 Verizon SGSIII using Tapatalk 2

Since my screen is broken I doubt I could get much! Still works but has a crack lol
    X to Rezound to Galaxy S3

Global Posts
    1,565 Global Posts
    ROM

keeping my nexus for now, not sure if i will end up using the s3 as a daily driver

ended up donating my old droid (og) and old blackberry curve 3G to the battered women's program that Verizon participates in
    Thanked by:
    MERCDROID likes this.

I plugged my old fascinate into the speakers in my garage to play play music (really google?), pandora, etc.

Quote Originally Posted by Bullfrog1337 View Post
    I donate most of them to the local battered women's shelter.
    This is a very thoughtful and noble thing to do, but I am concerned if this will still be viable in the future. It was all well and good a couple years ago when the majority of people had dumb phones that could call and text and dial 911 without a plan in emergencies. Does anyone have any guesses on whether smartphones will still be equally useful to donate since the majority now have them?

I know they can still make 911 calls without a plan, but, assuming the carriers still require them to have data plans couldn't this be an obstacle to someone who may be getting a charitable donation and not have the desire and/or income to pay for a data plan?

Heck, I think this is still a great idea, and I may be overanalyzing this.

I suppose a smartphone could be used to call 911and allow the receiver to use it on wifi without ever activating it on any network.

ROM
    ?

Here's a few more things you could do with your old phone.

Install this and use it as a wireless webcam:
    https://play.google.com/store/apps/d...com.pas.webcam
    Can be monitored from a browser or from another Android phone using:
    https://play.google.com/store/apps/d...om.alexvas.dvr

As a touchpad to control a computer:
    https://play.google.com/store/apps/d...stuff.touchpad

As a remote for your XBMC HTPC:
    https://play.google.com/store/apps/d...android.remote

Use it as a dashcam in your car:
    DailyRoads Voyager

GPS Device with cached maps:
    https://play.google.com/store/apps/d...droid.mapdroyd
    Thanked by 3:
    RifterAD and MERCDROID like this.

Global Posts
    1,565 Global Posts
    ROM

Quote Originally Posted by diesteldorf View Post
    This is a very thoughtful and noble thing to do, but I am concerned if this will still be viable in the future. It was all well and good a couple years ago when the majority of people had dumb phones that could call and text and dial 911 without a plan in emergencies. Does anyone have any guesses on whether smartphones will still be equally useful to donate since the majority now have them?

I know they can still make 911 calls without a plan, but, assuming the carriers still require them to have data plans couldn't this be an obstacle to someone who may be getting a charitable donation and not have the desire and/or income to pay for a data plan?

Heck, I think this is still a great idea, and I may be overanalyzing this.

I suppose a smartphone could be used to call 911and allow the receiver to use it on wifi without ever activating it on any network.
    Maybe some of the data plans are donated by Verizon? Perhaps a "family" share plan at a particular shelter so all the phones will have unlimited minutes/text and a strict data cap?

Lightbulb Re: Old Phone -- What are you doing with them?

I'm keeping my thunderbolt as a backup and will probably swap the SIM card to it when I'm going places where I may lose or break my phone. I'd hate to drop the GS3 into a lake while fishing, so might as well take the old one.

I have a Fascinate which I would hardly get anything for if I tried to sell it. I cleared out all the apps and widgets from my home screen, along with the shortcuts on the dock except for the app drawer (LauncherPro). Hid the notification bar and put the phone in Airplane mode, then downloaded a few games for my sons to play. Keeps them busy & out of each others hair while we're in the car. I'll prob pick up another SD card for it so that I can put a few movies on there for them.

My 6 month old GNex will go up for sale.

Global Posts
    62 Global Posts

I traded my wife's Incredible 2 awhile back to Amazon for $156, I paid $200 for it. I just did the same thing with my Incredible 2. Pretty damn good trade in price if you ask me.

I am planning to sell my original Droid Incredible to Cash For Laptops - Sell used Laptops or Broken Devices. They will give me $61 for it. Better than the price VZW offered me. You can punch in what you have on their site and they will tell you what they'll give you. Hope that helps.

Global Posts
    467 Global Posts
    ROM
    AOKP Devil 40.1

My Fassy is my new Alarm clock. Never worry about not having power. It is always on time.

Plus gonna be putting Jelly Bean on it, once AOKP gets it working.
    I know enough to get into trouble, but not enough to get myself out of that trouble.
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast