WiFi losing connection at random, needing toggle to reconnect?

Kronko

Nov 9, 2009
Visit site
Re: WiFi losing connection at random, needing toggle to reconnect

I believe I need to knock on wood. The S3 has a better wife connection that my Thunderbolt did.

scuba561

Jun 5, 2012
Visit site

No, on the phone (the last setting below about the IP Settings...I set it to Static instead of DHCP)

Many thanks Evil Monkey! It hasonly been 2 or 3 days now, but with the change from dynamic IP to static IP, my problems (knock on wood) have gone away for both my phone and my wife's phone.

For others who want to do this fix- leave it on dynamic until you get a connection to your wifi router- ip address and everything working. THEN change the setting evil describes to static IP address.

Now my only real issue with the phone is solved! No phone is perfect, but I really like this phone a lot!

SprintGuy

May 18, 2010
Visit site

Are you guys running the free included "Email" app that comes on the phone to read email? Is it set to the "Push" setting (to automatically pull in emails), or to automatically get email every XX minutes?

I'm getting this same Wi-Fi crash behavior, and even set my two S3's to "Static" IP's, and am still getting crash issues. However, I don't think I was until I enabled the "Email" app.

judge34411

Jul 10, 2012
Visit site

I don't know if this will help, but I went into my wifi settings and my network and the advanced settings. I found it had defaulted to DHCP (Dynamic). I switched it to "Static" and it seems to have resolved all my issues with it not reconnecting to my home and work networks.

Granted, it's only been a day, so I'm cautiously optimistic (but I previously haven't gone that long without a problem). We don't use Dynamic IPs, so I think that was probably my problem.

I have now set the phone to "static" as well will give feedback soon, sure hopes this works.

Thank you for the suggestion.

judge34411

Jul 10, 2012
Visit site

For others wanting to try it. When connected to your Wi-Fi.

Settings>Wi-Fi>Press and hold your connection a box will open up select "Modify network config." then change from dynamic to Static in the pull down box. Save and back out of there

Reactions: keoommen

judge34411

Jul 10, 2012
Visit site

Oh well it just did a reconnect again. So no luck with static IP for me. Trying a reboot and see if that helps

SprintGuy

May 18, 2010
Visit site

Yep. Same here. Set mine to 'Static', and even set the IP to Static in the router setup. Got a Wi-Fi crash 3 hours later. I called Verizon Tech Support, got to Tier 2 support, and...as I've seen posted elsewhere, this is a known issue that is scheduled for fix and release in Verizon's next update...in OCTOBER. Yep...

Reactions: judge34411

judge34411

Jul 10, 2012
Visit site

Yep. Same here. Set mine to 'Static', and even set the IP to Static in the router setup. Got a Wi-Fi crash 3 hours later. I called Verizon Tech Support, got to Tier 2 support, and...as I've seen posted elsewhere, this is a known issue that is scheduled for fix and release in Verizon's next update...in OCTOBER. Yep...

Thanks for the feed back. So just have to sit back and wait for the update. I kinda figured it would be something like that. BTW mine is Rogers Canada which is about the same as AT&T in USA.

CP2

Sep 10, 2010
Visit site

I have been having the same issue. I called VZW this morning because I got an errant 90 some messages from them alerting me that I was over my usage -on an unlimited plan and wanted to let them know about it.

In passing, I let them know about the wifi issue and they told me about the OTA coming in ... October. Un-real. Might be time to root and see if some of the devs in the community can come up with a fix before then. I actually prefer the 4G connection as it's faster than my home wifi, but I like to use Able Remote to interact with my Google TV and with the wifi issues, that's pretty much unusable. I'll try the static IP and see if that helps.

judge34411

Jul 10, 2012
Visit site

I have been having the same issue. I called VZW this morning because I got an errant 90 some messages from them alerting me that I was over my usage -on an unlimited plan and wanted to let them know about it.

Sure glad they were on the ball and took the time to warn you so often you went over your limit on an unlimited plan ;)

Might be time to root and see if some of the devs in the community can come up with a fix before then.
Actually many of us here are rooted, and having the same issues. Maybe best if you hang off until this is resolved.

But it is good to know we have members out their with the same issue with stock phones.

billsfan2

Sep 20, 2010
Visit site

Called both AT&T and Verizon tech support. Finally gave up on AT&T but a great U.S. Verizon tech seems to have fixed it! Only needed to change AT&T gateway security from WPA2 to WPA. Apparently many phones have an issue with the more complex security in these newer routers. Ours is a Netgear from AT&T. I am now a MUCH happier S3 owner!

Reactions: scuba561

scuba561

Jun 5, 2012
Visit site

Called both AT&T and Verizon tech support. Finally gave up on AT&T but a great U.S. Verizon tech seems to have fixed it! Only needed to change AT&T gateway security from WPA2 to WPA. Apparently many phones have an issue with the more complex security in these newer routers. Ours is a Netgear from AT&T. I am now a MUCH happier S3 owner!

Another interesting note. Please report back here in a a day or two and let us know if the fix is still holding for you.

Thanks!!

aldous

Apr 26, 2010
Visit site
What is the difference between static and dynamic wifi? How does that help or hinder your wifi? Thanks

Sent from my SCH-I535 using Android Central Forums

judge34411

Jul 10, 2012
Visit site

Tried going WPA from auto both and it actually made things worse.

What is the difference between static and dynamic wifi? How does that help or hinder your wifi? Thanks

Sent from my SCH-I535 using Android Central Forums

Static vs Dynamic IPs

billsfan2

Sep 20, 2010
Visit site

So far, so good. Connecting rapidly and not getting kicked off home Wi-Fi.

Judge...what did you mean by auto both? On our router setting via primary desktop, we had 4-5 choices of security. WEP, WPA (PSK), WPA2 (TSK?), and another choice or two. I didn't mess with type of signal, b, g, n. Ours is set at mixed.

judge34411

Jul 10, 2012
Visit site

So far, so good. Connecting rapidly and not getting kicked off home Wi-Fi.

Judge...what did you mean by auto both? On our router setting via primary desktop, we had 4-5 choices of security. WEP, WPA (PSK), WPA2 (TSK?), and another choice or two. I didn't mess with type of signal, b, g, n. Ours is set at mixed.

Sure here are some shots. I tried WPA only and also selected TKIP instead of AES (tried both ways).

billsfan2

Sep 20, 2010
Visit site

Judge, so WPA personal in conjunction with WPA Only below that didn't work?

EvilMonkey

Jun 4, 2010
Visit site

I honestly haven't had any issues since. Seems to be working fine now.

Dammit...after like 2 weeks of no issues, I got home Saturday and it wouldn't connect (gave me the "wifi network out of range" message). Had to toggle it off and on again.

I'm in the habit of periodically checking to make sure I'm on it. Of course, my wife's white S3 hasn't had an issue at all, but I check hers too since she probably wouldn't notice.