LTE vs. EHRPD

jerethi

Jan 20, 2011
Visit site
So, I was plugging around in various menus tonight, and happened my way into the mobile networks menu. I tapped on access point names, and discovered that my selected mobile network is EHRPD Verizon Internet. There's another option for LTE Verizon Internet that is selectable as well.

I've done a little bit of research about this, but wanted to put it to the Android Central forum gurus. What's the difference between these two? Does it mean my device will switch to a 3G connection if an LTE connection isn't available? Or is it better to only select the LTE option?

This is kind of confusing to me. Am very interested to see what others have to say.

Sent from my SCH-I535 using Android Central Forums

buenos

Oct 9, 2010
Visit site
EHRPD basically is what handsoff or allows switching between LTE and EV-DO systems.
you can search EHRPD and check out all the details....

jerethi

Jan 20, 2011
Visit site
Thanks for the reply. Is one setting recommended over the other?

PsYcHoNeWb

Feb 17, 2011
Visit site
It wont switch between the two if you check one or the other. Meaning these settings wont disable or enable 4G. If you want to disable your 4G, unfortunately they don't have a built in toggle for it like other phones.

You will need to go to the market, download Phone Info and follow this....

Launch Phone Info App > Device Info > Set Preferred Network Type.

Here is where you can set network types. GSM/CMDA will only run 3G and LTE/CDMA/EvDo will be 4G/3G.

jerethi

Jan 20, 2011
Visit site
It wont switch between the two if you check one or the other. Meaning these settings wont disable or enable 4G. If you want to disable your 4G, unfortunately they don't have a built in toggle for it like other phones.

This is interesting to me. I'm feeling like I should just select LTE...

dpham00

Moderator Team VP
Apr 23, 2011
Visit site

You will need to go to the market, download Phone Info and follow this....

Launch Phone Info App > Device Info > Set Preferred Network Type.

Here is where you can set network types. GSM/CMDA will only run 3G and LTE/CDMA/EvDo will be 4G/3G.

Cdma auto prl was what I always used on my rez when I wanted 3g.

PsYcHoNeWb

Feb 17, 2011
Visit site

This is just what I have seen on my phone. I selected EHRPD and I was still on LTE. If the info I posted isn't correct someone please correct me but I am pretty sure that this doesn't effect the radios you will use.

mikesmith

Jul 15, 2010
Visit site

It will automatically switch back and forth depending on 3G/4G signal. So it doesn't matter what you chose.

jerethi

Jan 20, 2011
Visit site
I guess what confuses me is that it seems like choosing EHRPD means I won't be using LTE (or at least, not using it all the time). Am I totally wrong about that? I guess I don't understand why these two options are here and what the difference is.

I'm sorry for appearing dense about all of this. I really appreciate the help and knowledge everyone is sharing!

PJnc284

Nov 6, 2009
Visit site
I guess what confuses me is that it seems like choosing EHRPD means I won't be using LTE (or at least, not using it all the time). Am I totally wrong about that? I guess I don't understand why these two options are here and what the difference is.

I'm sorry for appearing dense about all of this. I really appreciate the help and knowledge everyone is sharing!

It doesn't change anything that I can see. Changing it to EHRPD doesn't cause it to fall back to 3G only mode. Mine always defaults back to LTE checked after a certain period of time, device reboot or toggling airplane mode. It may default to EHRPD if you're not in an area covered by LTE but not sure. To actually make your device run on 3G in an area with LTE, you need the Phone Info app from the market to access the hidden menu.

jerethi

Jan 20, 2011
Visit site
Interesting. When I view my APN menu, it appears that EHRPD is the default. I think I'm going to call Verizon about this and see if I can get some answers.

Reactions: geekaren

geekaren

Dec 13, 2009
Visit site
Interesting. When I view my APN menu, it appears that EHRPD is the default. I think I'm going to call Verizon about this and see if I can get some answers.
I'm curious about the EHRPD - Verizon Internet & LTE -Verizon Internet settings too. I'm hoping you'll post what you hear from Verizon :cool:

jerethi

Jan 20, 2011
Visit site
So I spoke with a Verizon support person last night. She basically told me, as folks here have said, that it has to do with the way 4G hands off to 3G. She said if you're in an area with scattered 4G coverage it basic ensure a smooth handover. I asked her several times if that should be selected and she said yes.

Last night, I randomly went to check on the setting again. Now, the default selection my phone seems to be LTE. I restarted and checked again, and it is still LTE.

So, I'm afraid I still haven't satisfactorily gotten to the bottom of this yet. The tech support rep did tell me that since this is a new phone, they were still working through these issues and offered to send me follow up information. I accepted the offer and will report back here if I hear anything.

The plot thickens again?

Reactions: geekaren

TonyXL

Jul 11, 2012
Visit site
I'm not entirely sure what mine started out as, but now it seems to switch back to LTE, either after boot or after I change it to EHRPD.

I had used the "Phone Info" app once to try the 3g-only setting, but switched back after a few hours. Could this have messed something up permanently?

Can someone who has NOT used Phone Info let us know what setting is selected for them?

I have pretty good 4G signal outdoors, but when I'm inside it's pretty much 50/50 3g/4g.

Thanks,
Tony

TonyXL

Jul 11, 2012
Visit site
Looking at it today, my hunch is that the "APNs" screen where you can choose between EHRPD and LTE is really just a read-only screen where "selecting" a particular option does nothing.

To see how you are actually connected, you can go to the Status screen where it shows the signal strenth, etc.

codyweis

Jul 17, 2012
Visit site
I have a brand new galaxy s 3 and also noticed the two settings. Mine is default on the ehrpd. I really want to know the difference between the two.

archielee

Oct 7, 2011
Visit site
When I was reading a discussion about the 'no sim' error and someone said their phone was set for LTE and they had the error while their other phone was set for EHRPD, I checked my phone and it was at EHRPD. However just this evening I checked again and its now at LTE. I did just reboot the phone because I had to replace the battery which was running very low with my spare battery.