Welcome to the Android Central Forums Create Your Account or Ask a Question Answers in 5 minutes - no registration required!
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Like Tree3Likes
  1. Thread Author  Thread Author    #1  

Default Email disappears from phone after a few hours

I set up my new S3 to pull in email from my Optonline.net account a couple of days ago. The emails are feeding into the phone fine, however, they seems to be disappearing from the phone after a few hours even though they haven't been deleted or pulled off the Optonline.net server. If I log into the email account on my computer, through the web browser, the emails that disappeared off my phone are still sitting on the Optonline.net web site...

I'm thinking about switching to Gmail and setting it up to Fetch my optonline email since the Gmail seems to push much faster than Optonline on my other phone (a bionic). Hopefully that will resolve the problem?

Any similar experience or advice?
  2. Thread Author  Thread Author    #2  

Default Re: Email disappears from phone after a few hours

Nobody else has this problem??? Perhaps it's a problem specific to Optonline mail. Or maybe I should try a battery pull?

Global Posts
    97 Global Posts

One thing I noticed is that there's a setting to only have xx number of emails. As newer ones come in, older ones are removed from the phone. If I delete newer ones, then the older ones show up again, until the queue fills up.

Quote Originally Posted by jac-3 View Post
    One thing I noticed is that there's a setting to only have xx number of emails. As newer ones come in, older ones are removed from the phone. If I delete newer ones, then the older ones show up again, until the queue fills up.
    no its happening to me too/..how can you keep the ones in there without them automatically deleting

I seem to be having this same problem with my cox email. I had about 5 on there yesterday and today, nothing. This is really odd and this is using the native email client that came with the phone.

Day one I set up my main email on my S3 using the "Others" type account. After a few hours, I noticed the older, read emails were disappearing. They do not show up in the "Deleted" folder for the account or anywhere else. Then the next day I set up 3 more of my email accounts as well. Emails received by all the accounts seemed to stay around longer after being read especially if I used the "Combined View". Today when I opened the email client yesterday's read emails were still there. A little while after reading today's emails, all of yesterday's emails and today's read emails all disappeared.

Hopefully, someone will come up with a solution to this PITA problem.
  7. Thread Author  Thread Author    #7  

I have figured out a solution that works. I have set my Optonline email to forward to my Gmail account and set it to delete off the optinline server after it is forwarded . I access my email through Gmail now and have no issues. In my Gmail account SETTINGS, I set it up to read my Optonline mail, use Optonline as my default email, and reply as Optonline through Gmail. You can find all the details on how to set this up id you Google GMAIL FETCH.

My Droid X didn't have a problem with disappearing email for my cox account. I am still trying to figure out why or how and change the settings if necessary. If anyone can help it would be appreciated.
    gathome likes this.

so is this how the phone is no way ? My droid has in upwards of 700 e mail before I delete them

Quote Originally Posted by larry60 View Post
    so is this how the phone is no way ? My droid has in upwards of 700 e mail before I delete them
    Look at the date of the last post. I haven't seen this come up before. I have no issues with email.

Sent from my SCH-I535 using Android Central Forums
    Current Devices:
    LG G3 - AT&T
    Samsung Galaxy Note 3 - AT&T
    Motorola Moto X - unlocked GSM
    Samsung Galaxy Note 8 - LTE AT&T
    Apple iPad Mini Retina - 32GB LTE

Quote Originally Posted by jneusch View Post
    Look at the date of the last post. I haven't seen this come up before. I have no issues with email.

Sent from my SCH-I535 using Android Central Forums
    so how is this fixed

Global Posts
    89 Global Posts
    ROM
    CM7&9

Question for everyone who is having this problem with the stock email app and "disappearing emails"... In the email app, when you go into Settings for the particular account, under the "Sync settings" section, what is your setting for "Size to retrieve emails"? Is it the default 1.5KB or have to upped the limit?

Quote Originally Posted by unlmtdRW View Post
    Question for everyone who is having this problem with the stock email app and "disappearing emails"... In the email app, when you go into Settings for the particular account, under the "Sync settings" section, what is your setting for "Size to retrieve emails"? Is it the default 1.5KB or have to upped the limit?
    Mine is at the max limit.

Sent from my iPod touch 5G using Tapatalk

I recommend using K-9 Mail.
    It keeps the mail on the phone.

ggant likes this.

Global Posts
    89 Global Posts
    ROM
    CM7&9

Quote Originally Posted by larry60 View Post
    Mine is at the max limit.
    Okay, next question. Are you only using your S3 to access your email or are you accessing it also from a desktop/laptop mail client?
    Is it possible you are experiencing what was observed with this other poster?

Quote Originally Posted by unlmtdRW View Post
    Okay, next question. Are you only using your S3 to access your email or are you accessing it also from a desktop/laptop mail client?
    Is it possible you are experiencing what was observed with this other poster?
    Larry60 is using outlook 2007 set to leave mail on the server.
    I am his son

Any answer

Does anyone have an answer to this yet? From what I'm gathering on my phone is, I use Outlook 2007 on my computer and the default email on the S3. What I discovered is, any email that comes to my Outlook 2007 account stays on the computer. Forever until I delete it. If I happen to read emails on my phone, they will stay on my phone until I open Outlook 2007 on the computer. Then for some reason, the read emails on my phone disappear immediately. Is there a setting on the phone I'm missing to keep all emails on the phone until I delete them? I did a test by sending myself an email from another computer. I opened it on my phone and read it. As soon as I opened Outlook on my computer, it disappeared right then and there. Thank you for your help.

Ok, I think I found the solution. I'm running Outlook 2007 and have my ATT email linked to my wife's Galaxy S3 and Outlook. When a new message was sent to the ATT email, it was received in Outlook (PC) and the Galaxy via POP3 account. As soon as Outlook downloaded the messages, they dissappeard from the Galaxy. Here is what I did and it is working now (keeping the messages in both places). Put your phone down, the fix is in Outlook.
    Tools>Account Settings>eMail Tab (Double Click the email POP3 account) then the Internet E-Mail Setting dialog box appears>More Settings>Advanced>Check "Leave a copy of messages on the server"

I left the other two options un-checked. So far so good.

Good Luck!

Thumbs up Re: Email disappears from phone after a few hours

Well I thought this was the answer. It seems my emails did remain in my inbox but as soon as I got another email, they all disappeared....I will find an answer. Is there a different email app for Android that may fix this problem?

Another Question:

How do you set your emails to format as HTML? Always ugly url's. My iPhone 4 didn't do this.

Thanks
    Last edited by Kevin7777; 12-04-2012 at 08:39 AM. Reason: Thought it worked but it didn't...

This is why POP3 simply isn't a very good protocol for email handling in this day and age. It was really never designed to handle multiple clients accessing a single account on a server; especially not with full retention. I honestly don't understand why so many email providers still have POP as the only option; but I digress.

Sorry if a lot of what I'm about to say sounds like rant or doesn't help you, but this thread is several months old and sometimes knowledge can be power, so here goes...if you're having any problems similar to the ones in thread, here's what I would do:

1. If this issue you're having is with a corporate account, I realize there's not much you can do; but if this is a personal account, what I really recommend is switching to Gmail...or Yahoo!...or whatever MS is calling their mail service now a-days (Outlook.com?). All of these providers work with more advanced protocols such as IMAP and ActiveSync that work much better when it comes to accessing your mail on multiple devices and/or computers (Yahoo may still actually charge $ for some access, so you may want to check that). I recommend Gmail, and that has nothing to do with my affinity for Android either (although that does make it even better). Gmail makes this easy, as you can have your gmail account access your old email and pull any new messages right in, so to any of your friends it's pretty seamless, no having to send out a mass email saying, "hey, I changed my address, email me here now!". The other thing is that email addresses attached to your cable, satellite, telephone, etc provider are not always permanent -- what if you were to move and no longer had Cox cable, would you continue to pay them just for email service? I think not.

Gmail is very flexible, the services are always free and they have a lot of great features. Even if you have an iPhone, I'd recommend it. The gmail app on Android sync flawlessly and seamlessly with your online account -- no having to worry about messages downloaded on one client not being visible on another and so forth. (And yes, you can setup Gmail to run on Outlook if you prefer that over the web interface).

Even if you use the stock Email app on Android phones, most of those providers have their messaging protocols built in, making setup easier and syncing across devices more manageable.

2. Try a different email app. Frankly, the stock email app is crap on most Android phones. I don't know if it's because Google just focuses on Gmail and leaves generic email app out to dry or what, but I agree that's not very good and even the iPhone has a better stock email client. There are alternatives, however -- there's a few free ones out there with great functionality, like K9, that works great with a lot of accounts even if it isn't exactly user-friendly. There are also some paid apps, like Touchdown, which I hear is a great app for Exchange accounts. If your problems lie more with formatting options and stuff like that, I'd definitely recommend doing a little app searching for a better alternative.

3. See if your email provider does IMAP instead of POP. A lot times folks don't realize that IMAP is an option when setting up their account; but a lot of corporate email servers have the support for it. Unlike POP3, the IMAP protocol actually syncs all clients to the primary mailbox on the server -- whereas POP3 just downloads copies of messages to a local cache, which is why syncing between devices can get messy.

Thanks for that info!

I chatted with Samsung Support this morning and it has nothing to do with your email clients. Confirmed that the Galaxy S3 deletes old emails automatically as soon as it receives new emails and there is no fix for this issue. The Chat support person I talked to said he will forward the issue to the support team, so don't bang your heads around trying to figure this one out - it's not an Android issue.

Here's a quirky little way around this. Open the email you want to keep and delete it. Click the "Trash Can" icon and it will go into your "Trash" Folder. Do it quick because if you get another email, it will be automatically deleted to who knows where. So far, all my emails stayed in the "Trash" folder that I wanted to keep.

Samsung didn't really think this one out to well, going back to my iPhone tomorrow!

Im having the same problem but I dicovered tha it only happens when I open my hotmail account through Outlook 2010. If I go directly through the Hotmail Web Page the messages are still on my Galaxy S3. I coud not find an option on the Phone nor on my Outlook mail set up. Does anyone know?

Default Re: Email disappears from phone after a few hours:

The phone will be set up to sync with your email program so it can get emails. The emails you see on the phone are "read" from the online server. If your online server has your account as a POP account then when the email is downloaded to your laptop or to another device then it will no longer be on the server and then when your phone syncs with the server the email will "dissapear" off your phone.
    To fix this your can change your mail account to IMAP. This is not always possible. You provider may not allow this for your account type.
    Another way to fix this that l think is easier is to go into the email program on your laptop eg Outlook , and go to Tools / E-mail Account / view or change / select account / more settings / advanced. THEN tick the box to keep emails on the server for your chosen time limit. THEn email will be able to be downloaded and or viewed on several devices, as long as it is on the server..

Or at least this is what l did and it worked.

I am having the same problem despite all the help on this forum. The problem is only with my andy@coolshot.com email account that I send through Gmail for filtering. Gmail is set up for POP. My other POP email accounts using the stock Galaxy S3 email client do not have this problem of email disappearing. I found this link on the Google site: Using POP on multiple clients or mobile devices - Gmail Help. It talks about "recent mode" but you have to change your POP username to 'recent:mygmailusername@gmail.com'. The only place that I can find to do this is in the incoming server set-up. For existing accounts, this line item is greyed out and I cannot find a way to modify it. Nonetheless, when I create a new account and use the 'recent:mygmailusername@gmail.com' then I cannot log into the account. It seems that there is information missing here or I am doing something wrong. I was hoping this would keep emails from disappearing but, as was noted above, the problem may persist if the root problem is with the Android app. Has anyone tried this 'recent mode' successfully? If so, how did you set up the Android POP account to do so?
    I do not have this problem on my iPad (without the 'recent mode' config.)

Thanks very much.
    Regards,
    Andy
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast