Terrible battery life?

junglesnake98

Dec 14, 2011
Visit site
I got my phone this morning and out of the box it had 81 percent battery. I took it home where I have really strong 4g service and installed a few things and just did some tinkering around and my battery was dead in less than 2 hours!! I hope after it charges it was just a fluke or maybe something is wrong with mine but that is insane!! And I even turned stuff off and the screen down.

Predator04

Jan 10, 2012
Visit site
Ok mine is rooted.. but i never installed the recovery. once i installed it im getting better battery life. this make NO sense to me. if anyone would have any idea why this is please post. But maybe just some fluke thing as i dont see how this would help at all.

zxphenomenalxz

Jul 1, 2011
Visit site
Pretty sure another post explained battery life issues. Make sure in the s voice settings that the awake command is turned off.

Sent from my SCH-I535 using Android Central Forums

solido888

Oct 27, 2010
Visit site
Fully stock here so far, and I am quite impressed with battery life. I live in 3g territory, but work in 4g territory, and haven't noticed the change influence the battery life.

Sent from my SCH-I535 using Tapatalk 2

VicVinegar

Jun 12, 2012
Visit site
When it isn't doing anything, I am not seeing any significant drain.

Now today, I downloaded a radio show, listened to the radio show for about 2 hours, listened to a few hours of streaming music, and did some surfing on Chrome and it was hurting by early afternoon after sitting at my desk at 6AM. It was rarely idle though.

kalnel#WN

Oct 8, 2010
Visit site
I finally wore my battery down to zero -- total uptime: 26 hours, 17 minutes, with just under 4 hours of screen time.

Not rooted, totally stock, 4G, Bluetooth, GPS on; wi-fi and NFC off. Verizon apps disabled and S-voice on the lock screen turned off.

I did notice one interesting thing on the History Details chart. As the battery charge decreased, the mobile network signal strength also seemed to fade. Strange, since after the first three hours, the device was at the same location.

richardpandy

Feb 26, 2010
Visit site
My battery life is great. On my Nexus I would take off the charger at 6:00 and would have pandora on from 8am-11:30am and battery would be around 20% or so. With the S3, I do the same but today I ran pandora from 8:30-3pm and still had 38% battery all on 4G. MUCH better battery life.

socialillz

Aug 21, 2010
Visit site
Pretty sure another post explained battery life issues. Make sure in the s voice settings that the awake command is turned off.

Can you tell me how to get your that setting?

junglesnake98

Dec 14, 2011
Visit site
I finally wore my battery down to zero -- total uptime: 26 hours, 17 minutes, with just under 4 hours of screen time.

Not rooted, totally stock, 4G, Bluetooth, GPS on; wi-fi and NFC off. Verizon apps disabled and S-voice on the lock screen turned off.

I did notice one interesting thing on the History Details chart. As the battery charge decreased, the mobile network signal strength also seemed to fade. Strange, since after the first three hours, the device was at the same location.
I'm new to all this but what is NFC and how do you turn it off? Along with the Verizon apps?

nooaah

Jul 13, 2012
Visit site
Weird. I've been using the phone now for 5 hours straight since I've unboxed and I've only gotten the battery to go down about 35%. I'm trying to kill the battery before I charge it for the first time but it's really resisting haha.

sillysarah1

Jul 9, 2012
Visit site
I have been happy with my battery life. I am getting 3 1/2 hours of on screen time with 4G on, brightness at about 95%, all gestures and options turned on, nova launcher, web browsing, texting and phone calls.

kalnel#WN

Oct 8, 2010
Visit site
I'm new to all this but what is NFC and how do you turn it off? Along with the Verizon apps?

NFC is near field communication. It allows the device to communicate with NFC tags, other devices, and some credit card checkouts through proximity/touch. It's off by default, I believe.

I disabled the Verizon apps by going into the application manager and clicking on "disable."

tk-093

Dec 5, 2011
Visit site
Just don't be discharging your batteries all the time. It is not good for Li-ion batteries.

http://arstechnica.com/gadgets/2011/02/ask-ars-what-is-the-best-way-to-use-an-li-ion-battery/

One of the worst things you can do to a Li-ion battery is to run it out completely all the time. Full discharges put a lot of strain on the battery, and it's much better practice to do shallow discharges to no lower than 20 percent. In a way, this is like people running for exercise— running a few miles a day is fine, but running a marathon every day is generally not sustainable. If your Li-ion powered device is running out of juice on a daily basis, you're decreasing its overall useful lifespan, and should probably work some charging stations into your day or change your devices' settings so that it's not churning through its battery so quickly.

junglesnake98

Dec 14, 2011
Visit site
NFC is near field communication. It allows the device to communicate with NFC tags, other devices, and some credit card checkouts through proximity/touch. It's off by default, I believe.

I disabled the Verizon apps by going into the application manager and clicking on "disable."

Thanks for the help. I got most of it last night and it's doing ALOT better today.

zxphenomenalxz

Jul 1, 2011
Visit site
Can you tell me how to get your that setting?

Double tap to activate s voice. Once it is all set and ur at the s voice menu hit the menu key go to settings and unchecked wake up command

Bbeelzebub

Jun 28, 2011
Visit site
I did a little experiment last night to see if it made any difference in battery.

A couple times since I got the phone, I had it charged to 100 before bed. Slept for 6-8 hours and would wake up with it still at 100. That may have been a fluke or because it was brand new. As I've installed more apps, it doesn't hold as long.

I switched my email to push using activesync instead of pulling a pop3 and after sleeping for 6 hours, I lost 3%. I swear that is more than I was using with pull. I'm wondering if it's just better to go back and leave it to pull the email every 15 as I have always done.

PamelaBB

Mar 7, 2010
Visit site
I'm rooted with basic bloat ware off, power saving off, screen brightness 60% and I would say this battery lasts as long as my I phone 4 did which was the best battery life I ever experienced in all my 12 years of owning phones. When I read the threads about bad battery life on the Verizon s3 I just can't relate. I do know Fringe reception can drain battery fast, but I live in an area with excellent 3g and lte coverage.

Sent from my SCH-I535 using Tapatalk 2

Last edited:

CPColley

Jun 13, 2012
Visit site
from my personal experience, my battery life was not up to par with my previous phones (bb storm 2 and iPhone 4) but by turning of gps and data in the notification toggle area it has substantially added HOURS to my battery life and can get around 2 days worth of battery. but if you are relying on emails to be coming in on your phone immediately, this may not be the best way to save battery. but I hope this helps!