VZW S3 intermittently saying "No SIM"
03-22-2014 11:07 AM
- I used the SIM from my Galaxy Nexus and it works fine. Maybe they shipped out a bad batch with the S3.
Just curious though... when you first got it, did you power off the activation? call the activation number, then power on the phone -- in that order?
Have you tried a hard reset? Is the SIM securely seated in it's slot? If you logon to your account page and then click the "Upgrade this Device" botton, does it take you to a screen that says you have a device that's waiting activation? What does this screen say:
Click to view quoted image
Multiple customers at the store have the issue, and opened a high level tech support ticket with *611 last night. Customer service guy said this is starting to make the tech-bulletin of known issues for the phone and they were escalating, he also asked I go back to the store and leave the ticket with the manager there and have him call in the phone #s and info of all the others experiencing the same issue.07-14-2012 11:11 AMLike 1
- One other thing I noticed when I'm in areas where I experience this issue is that my "mobile data" toggle in the notification bar will never go fully green. Sometimes its completely grey, and if i tap on it the arros will turn a dark green but never the same bright green as the other toggles. (and the horizontal bar underneath will not illiuminate green either). Anyone else noticing that too?07-14-2012 11:13 AM
- Well, add me to the list. I bought my daughter the S3 today to replace her flaky Droid 2. Everything worked fine in the store. Left the store and she made a call and sent a couple of texts without any problems. Got home and she started texting her friends and started getting the "No SIM" message.
Went back to the store and waited for a tech, but ended up with the same salesman that sold us the phone. After making a couple of test calls successfully inside the store, he told us the story that it was a problem with the network and they were upgrading the towers in the area and the issue would clear up in a couple of days since they were doing a lot of activations this weekend. My daughter really wants to keep the phone, so as we're walking out to the car we agree that if it keeps happening we'll return the phone in a few days.
As we're pulling out of the parking lot, she tries to text and gets the "No SIM" message. We couldn't have been more than a few hundred yards from the store. Unless the store has some special network arrangement (picocell or boosters), we HAD to be on the same tower as the store.
Sure smells like a big problem. Verizon and Samsung better own up to it quick or they're going to be getting a lot of returned phones.07-14-2012 01:47 PM
- 07-14-2012 08:40 PM
- From reading all the post on this thread I have gotten that this has turned into a huge issue. Probably the size of the iPhone antenna issue but since this isn't an iPhone there is no coverage on the issue. There should be since owners of this phone on carriers such as Verizon cannot make phone calls at certain points or send text messages. If there is an emergency I would be unable to make a call at points.
Samsung is suppose to be sending a fix to the cell phone providers?
The issue is the phone is not properly updating tower information?07-16-2012 09:37 AM
- Sooo, same exact issue, same exact replies from Verzion.
It's kind of like the bermuda triangle. At and around my home I get "No Sim" and can not place phone calls or send text messages.
I was in DC for a few days it worked flawlessly.
At work 7 miles away, it works flawlessly.
But what is the point if I can't use my phone where I use it most.
Went to a Verizon store and the tech swapped out the SIM. Still not working.
What am I supposed to do? I get the usual, tech ticket tower issue response from VZ.
Are we saying we can't have a Galaxy S3?
At the very least I'd be happy if it would switch to 3G07-16-2012 02:40 PM
- i cant believe this BS..i can browse the web..really fast btw..but when i send a text..i get that no sim..im not sending in my phone i dont wanna go thru that BS..i am embarassed to be working for verizon haha..i know its not a tower problem..they just dont wanna admit they messed up or samsung did..something needs to be fixed!!!07-16-2012 03:03 PM
- i hope it gets fixed..i work in DC on the weekends..i need it..i never had problems with service anywhere with verizon..something is wrong..i really hope verizon fixes this soon..i need texting and phone calls in my life lol..i can recieve texts..but not send or do outgoing calls..idk what it is..but its weird that i can browse the web with no problems..VERIZON PLS FIX THIS! LOL07-16-2012 03:06 PM
- When you guys are in an area that has this issue, what is your "Mobile Network Type" (Settings->About Device->Status). Mine seems to only act up in EHRPD:13 areas. If it drops do 1xRTT:6 then the msgs tend to go thru. Also it seems like in the last few days calls have been working better, but sending texts triggers it almost every time in certain locations. So frustrating to have to send a text 30 times to get it to go thru once. Its gotta be some kind of phone + network interaction issue, hopefully it can be resolved with a firmware update :-(07-16-2012 07:13 PM
- I had this happen to me last night and here is what I think: The times I received a "No SIM" error were times when I was in a known weak cell service area which is in the basement of my house, I won't be able to text or make/receive phone calls. Every phone I have ever owned from a standard phone to smart phone has always had a connection problem in the same area. Now for some reason, when my S3 loses cell service (not data service, two separate radios) and it drops to no bars, the No SIM error pops up. Once it gets a connection back it takes about 30 seconds for the No SIM error to go away once service is restored. I was able to reproduce it over and over again, lose voice (no bars at all) get the error, get at least 1 bar back the error went away and I was able to do this without rebooting or taking my SIM card out, in fact the SIM card is the same one that was in my Razr when I had it.
It could be how the phone is handling the disruption of service in thinking if it lost voice service all together that it thinks the SIM card is the cause of it. When I am in an area with a strong service I have never received the error.07-17-2012 08:13 AM
On 9 I couldn't believe how many dead spots there were between Fishkill and the southern most part of Poughkeepsie. Saturday we were running errands and much of 9 was 3G.07-17-2012 08:58 AM
- UPDATE: with my 14 days return closing in I decided to return the phone.
I can't believe that VZ would be pushing a service that causes their phones to lose out on their PRIMARY purpose, to MAKE PHONE CALLS/TEXT.
I have no problem if LTE is not ready or in Beta; default users to 3G, so we can MAKE A PHONE CALL/TEXT. When available or needed, I'd gladly switch to 4G.
But to force me on a network that renders my phone useless is way overstepping your superiority. VZ is plain old to big to care about a few customers07-17-2012 09:22 AM
- Samsung Android Phones
- Samsung Galaxy S3
- Verizon Galaxy S III
VZW S3 intermittently saying "No SIM"
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD