VZW S3 intermittently saying "No SIM"
03-22-2014 11:07 AM
- I am having this problem only when I'm at work - even outside the building. My colleague with a RAZR Maxx has no problem with this 4G location inside the building. I have no problem in other towns nearby with or without 4G, only when I'm at work, so it is clearly a tower specific issue with the phones. I've talked to so many different tech support people and they always are unaware of the problem. This reminds me so much of my DroidX problem when it started turning itself ON after Gingerbread was downloaded to it. No one would admit there was a problem - not Verizon nor Motorola. That problem was magically fixed on an update pushed out a few months ago with no acknowledgement. At least this time when I returned to my local Verizon Wireless store for the second time yesterday (because the on-line tech said I should try a replacement SIM and if that did not work, a replacement phone), the sales guy I had spoken to earlier said he found on internal forums that this was happening all across the U.S., so it isn't phone specific and it seems to be with respect to certain towers. He said because of how widespread it was, there would likely be some update made soon, but he had no knowledge of anything.
My own testing showed that this morning at work I made 4 calls in a row without problem, but at noon, when traffic would be heavier, I could not get a single call through and nothing but "No SIM". Since I only have a smartphone for work, this isn't going over well with me.07-17-2012 12:38 PM
- I am at the Southern end of the coverage area (Fishkill) and got this once on Saturday. It cleared it self in a few seconds. I have not had the issue since. The one time it happened I was on the balcony of my apartment and get a decent signal there I think.
On 9 I couldn't believe how many dead spots there were between Fishkill and the southern most part of Poughkeepsie. Saturday we were running errands and much of 9 was 3G.
Sent from my SCH-I535 using Android Central Forums07-17-2012 01:56 PM
- Brand new s3, brand new account. Cannot activate phone, after the first screen where you select your language I get a "SIM initialization failure"
"A SIM card is needed to operate this phone. Please turn off your phone and insert your SIM card."
Tried factory reset, insert & re-insert. Contacts look great, you can see the fine lines where it made contact.
I'm not looking forward to this...07-17-2012 07:03 PM
- 07-18-2012 05:19 AM
- I am on my third phone and fourth SIM card (got the third phone last evening). I have been working with Level 2 support for 10-days and a network trouble ticket person for two. I have extreme difficulty sending texts or making calls at work (at home and elsewhere, not too many issues). My Fascinate 3G worked fine at this location for two years.
When I place a call or attempt to send a text message, the phone goes from showing 4G with 2-3 bars, to the circle with a line across it, to displaying the Out of Service Area message, it then has a slight delay then shows the No Sim message at the top left of the phone, a few seconds later some service bars are displayed, then about 5 seconds later the 4G logo is again displayed.
Today is the end of my 14 period, so I have to make a decison regarding what to do next.07-18-2012 11:36 AM
- 07-18-2012 11:54 AM
- Is there an official Verizon response to this issue?
Also, is it true that you can't activate an S3 in a 3g area or is verizon tech support pulling my leg? I don't want to go the the VZW store and have it work only to have the same problems you guys are having with intermittent SIM failure.07-18-2012 02:24 PM
- Second phone, 3rd SIM. Still acting up. It only happens inside or within 10 ft of my home. I can establish a call outside this radius and walk into my home and keep the call going, but once I disconnect the next out-going call or text fails with no sim card message to follow.
I'm going to try to get Engadget on it...everyone else should try too.
https://twitter.com/engadget07-18-2012 08:06 PM
- Well I'm thoroughly frustrated again. I logged a ticket with Verizon last thursday night that was escalated to the systems/network engineering team. Called back tonight to get the status and they closed it out saying the coverage in my area is weak. Makes absolutely no sense since I've lived here over 5 years and have gone thru a Motorola Razr, Palm Centro, HTC Touch Pro 2, Droid 2, Droid 2 Global, and Droid 3 all without any issues in this area. The fact that the phone thinks there is No Sim and that the signal drops the millisecond after I hit send in a text or talk to place a call screams of a software/firmware issue. I just wish Verizon would acknowledge it. The rep on the phone looked into all of the tech-bulletins again (aka known issues with the phone) and this still has not made the list. He found that there were some software updates tentatively planned for Sept/Oct timeframe but I'm not sure I'm willing to wait that long for a fix.
BTW I tried sending this to droid-life.com as a news tip and never heard anything back, maybe if we all pile on to endgadget together we can make some headway. I may also take some videos (Already have screenshots) to demonstrate the issue and post to youtube.
If it wasn't for this one damn problem this would be the perfect phone for me!!07-18-2012 09:12 PM
- Just got off the phone with VZW tech support. They didn't have a record of escalating my issue, but did know that I had called in previously (Tuesday night). While the rep and I were discussing the issue, I mentioned that there were at least two Internet discussions where people had encountered the exact same problem I was having. She asked for the links, so I sent her the link to this discussion and the discussion going on in the Android forum on the VZW web site: https://community.verizonwireless.com/message/841379
Hopefully, something will come of out it.07-19-2012 08:15 AM
- 07-19-2012 10:50 PM
- After 10-days of working with Level 2 support, three phones, four SIM cards, and multiple interactions with the network folks, they found the issue on the network in the area I work, made an update and I am now sailing free. I haven't had an issue all day. So there is hope and I am pleased that I stayed with the G3. The VZW folks I worked with were very diligent in getting to the root of the problem and fixing it.07-20-2012 02:13 PM
- Unfortunately, even after switching phones I am having the problem.
The sequence is 1) you place a call; 2) the signal strength meter goes to zero bars; 3) you receive an "Out of Service Area" message; 4) the "no SIM" message is shown on the top-left side; 5) the phone reconnects to the network; 6) the signal strength meter redisplays bars.07-20-2012 02:55 PM
- 07-20-2012 03:02 PM
- 07-20-2012 03:20 PMLike 1
- I got another No sim message today. This time on 1x at work. It cleared itself in a few mins. Coverage at work is horrible.
Yesterday I had my data turn off on my drive home. I think perhaps it was me messing with the settings with phone info app.
I will have to watch this a bit more closely.
I wonder if No sim is an erroneous error message and it maybe should display no data or something like that.07-20-2012 07:34 PM
- For some reason Google Voice I just don't get. I don't get it something just doesn't click for me when people explain it to me.
I don't care that I lose SMS (although I was trying to send one today). It is annoying to see a signal strength but have no data at all (and voice).07-20-2012 08:50 PM
- Samsung Android Phones
- Samsung Galaxy S3
- Verizon Galaxy S III
VZW S3 intermittently saying "No SIM"
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD