VZW S3 intermittently saying "No SIM"

paintdrinkingpete

Dec 12, 2009
Visit site
Good to know they've acknowledged the problem and are at least planning to release a fix. Kills me that even something like this seems to take way too long to get from "tentative" to "released" state.

I realize this is only my own daydreaming, but here's how I always picture the Verizon R&D process for Android updates:

Boss: "Anyone seen Jim? I want to get the status of that critical patch update he's been working on."

Dave: "He just just stepped out for lunch, should be back in 15 minutes. The update is ready to go, do you want me to deploy it?"

Boss: "No...I better check with Jim first. Hmmm...well, I'm too important to stay here past 1PM, so I guess I'll just stop back here in 10 days to see if I can talk to him about it"

Dave: "OK, what about all these people calling requesting replacement phones?"

Boss: "Just go ahead and send em a refurb..."

Dave: "But we already know that won't fix anything...we're already literally just shipping out phones were returned for the exact same problem!"

Boss: "Whatever. Sure the smarter thing to do would be to fix the problem quickly rather than spend all the time and money answering customer service calls and issuing new phones...but I got a tee-time this afternoon and can't be bothered with it"

ksmaynard

Sep 1, 2012
Visit site
We have 2 of these phones, both are used in the same area. One has the issue and the other does not so I doubt that it is tower related. Interestingly, The one that works correctly has a small sticker on the origional box saying "updated" and the other does not. I am also not able to update the software in the about phone section, when I try it says "service unavailable" and the other works every time. This is very frustrating!.

Last edited:

xoom_fan

Feb 25, 2011
Visit site
Happened to me again on Friday, I decided to call tech support. They are sending me a new SIM. I said "Are you aware that a lot of people have this problem, it is most likely not my SIM" but the lady had no clue. I guess they'd rather keep sending SIMs than fixing the problem.

MavenJ

Sep 1, 2012
Visit site
I'm shopping for a new phone and REALLY want the SG SIII, but this VZW issue has me stalling. I submitted an online inquiry to tech support and got this in response:

That is a great question and I know this error message is such an important piece to puzzle for this device, especially since this phone is being one of the top selling phones for our company. I wanted to upgrade to this device myself but I am awaiting this issue to be fixed as well.

As you know, we are aware of this issue and are awaiting a software update from Samsung to be released to address this concern. Therefore, at this time, we have no new status information on when this is due to be released but with this being such critical issue for the device, I can anticipate this to be sometime very soon in the future.​

So at this point no news is...well, no news.

ripken204

Aug 8, 2012
Visit site
I reported a month ago that this was happening to me in Canandaigua NY. When I went home I no longer had the issue until about a few days ago... I am in Greece NY and am having the same damn problem.

I just went to a verizon store, she replace the SIM, and it still wont work, so they are sending me a refurb... that probably won't work either. I am just going to hope that the refurb has some sort of updated firmware on it or something.

paintdrinkingpete

Dec 12, 2009
Visit site
Just an update from me...

I was getting this error with about 50% of the text messages I was attempting to send. Then, about 2 weeks ago I installed the "VZ Messages" app for SMS/MMS, primarily because I used it on my old Thunderbolt to get group text capability and liked it. Now, it could be a coincidence, but since I've started using that app for SMS, I have not received a single "No SIM" error when trying to send text messages.

I did still get one once when attempting to dial out a phone call, but honestly haven't encountered a single problem with texts, and I was getting it A LOT before.

Again, may just be random luck, but could be worth giving it a try if you're as frustrated as I was when trying to send text messages...?

muiriddin

Oct 6, 2010
Visit site
I just got this error for the first time today. It occurred when I went to a location where the phone typically has trouble getting a solid 4g signal and previously I had noticed it falling back to 3g mode. I found a thread on verizon's website that talked about a possible solution. I have done what it suggested and will report back if the problem no longer happens...

Now that I've read the whole thread, you all have already tested the change that I saw from the verizon forums... *sigh*

Last edited:

ksmaynard

Sep 1, 2012
Visit site
OTA update recieved today includes fix for "no simm error"!!!
From Android Community: "In the usual Verizon fashion we have learned of the update from their official support page, stating the anticipated update for their version of the Galaxy S III is coming soon. The update will bring the smartphone to build VRALG7, and one big change is they’ve fixed that pesky “no sim” error some have been reporting. "

Ricky Babalu

BEACH BUM
Aug 30, 2010
Visit site
I have never experienced this. I am only posting this because in my travels I came across a post that had solved this issue by "freezing" setup up wizard 1.0 with TB and apparently the issue was resolved. Unfortunately, I do not remember the site I read it on. So if anyone here is having this issue and is rooted you might want to give it a shot (you can always unfreeze).

:(:(

****I know this is not helpful for those that are not rooted, sorry.

paintdrinkingpete

Dec 12, 2009
Visit site
I still have yet to get a "No SIM" when sending texts since installing the VZ Messages app, and I was getting it several times a day prior to installing it. Was still getting it every now and then when trying to make calls...hopefully this new radio fixes it (but it's not looking so good).

njmorgan

Feb 21, 2011
Visit site
I also have received this error after receiving the new software update. I reached out to VZW Tech Support today and they had told me that they were unaware of this being a recurring issue but it might be an authentication issue with my SIM card when the tower 'refreshes' since I live on the same street as the tower. He mentioned that there could be such a thing as being "too close to the tower" which seemed kind of odd to me. Not sure if there is any truth to this.

montanaxvi

Oct 3, 2010
Visit site
I got an "updated" model when I joined VZW a couple months back. And never had the no sim issue until this weekend when it popped up several times prior to getting the latest update

Sent from my SCH-I535 using Tapatalk 2

jacko1004

Sep 30, 2010
Visit site
got update.... didn't change anything... still no service... I just cant believe that they won't even take the phone back... so I'm stuck with non working phone... wow... any suggestions???
just filed BBB complaint.... lets see if this change anything.... stay away from gs3!!!!!!

winnersmw

Oct 11, 2010
Visit site
I've been having this same No SIM issue for about three weeks now and it's bull . Right when you need to send a critical message/phone call it'll fail and you'll have to wait a few minutes, after which the same thing might happen again! It's a good thing I haven't been in an emergency situation yet. Verizon should be crediting all our bills considering the service we're paying for doesn't function properly.

As for the so-called "No SIM fix" ota they pushed, I haven't seen any difference. I've still been getting the same error multiple times per day.

OWybPPgO

Geek Mom
Jun 8, 2012
Visit site
Any updates to this thread? Did anyone find a workaround?

My daughter was getting this sporadically at school but she says she hasn't gotten the problem in a while. I tried sending a dozen texts in a row to my husband to see if my phone would get the error but it didn't.