1. Thread Author  Thread Author    #1  

Default How do I get it to text "ya" instead of "yahoo

So if I text someone "Hey what are ya doin" It says "Hey what are yahoo doin" Major PITA!!!!!!!!!!!

Default Re: How do I get it to text "ya" instead of "yahoo

In the first few minutes of having the phone I had trouble with "still" it kept getting changed. Immediately went to SwiftKey. If you are using the stock keyboard, I'd start there.
    Thanked by:

ROM
    ?

Switch to Swype Beta, add "ya" to your dictionary.

The predictive text provides a couple words while you are typing. So type "ya" and ya should be the first suggestion while Yahoo is second. You can also turn predictive text off so it won't change your words or add it to the dictionary. Lastly, use another keyboard like others have said. Plenty of options.

It you wanna stick it out with the Samsung keyboard then change the predictive words settings so they aren't intrusive.

First, pull down the notification bar and select the keyboard icon. Hit the settings icon for the Samsung keyboard. On the predictive words, just turn it off. As a matter of fact, the only thing I have turned on is spell correction.

That should help dramatically. It helped me. Plus, the more you use the Samsung keyboard the better it gets. So far so good.

Sent from my VZW Samsung Galaxy S3

Quote Originally Posted by DJSgalaxy View Post
    It you wanna stick it out with the Samsung keyboard then change the predictive words settings so they aren't intrusive.

First, pull down the notification bar and select the keyboard icon. Hit the settings icon for the Samsung keyboard. On the predictive words, just turn it off. As a matter of fact, the only thing I have turned on is spell correction.

That should help dramatically. It helped me. Plus, the more you use the Samsung keyboard the better it gets. So far so good.

How do you turn on spell correction? I cant even find that setting. I see "predictive text" and thats it.
    Thanked by:

If you touch Predictive text, it will sense you to another menu. Not the on/off button though, touch the word Predictive.

Global Posts
    289 Global Posts

Well you can spell correctly and say "Hey what are you doing?"
    Then it shouldn't give you Yahoo.

How can I turn off predictive texting completely, while keeping SWYPE capabilities within the Samsung keyboard? Is that even possible?

If not, what are some keyboard apps that you would suggest? Predictive text sucks ballz.

My question is why is there two different user dictionaries? one for predictive text and one for user dictionary that was saved by google... all my new words go strt to predictive text learned words... kinda stupid to manage two dictionaries. Also if i type a word and hit space then realize i made a mistake i use to be able to click the word and edit with the bionic but with the s3 i have to backspace and retry. any one know of a workaround?

+1 Swiftkey. It's so much better than stock KB.

Quote Originally Posted by WillC View Post
    Switch to Swype Beta, add "ya" to your dictionary.
    I use smartkeyboard pro. Give it a try. can add anyword to your "dictionary"
    Chicks Dig The Long Ball

autocorrect = major annoyance + embarrassing mistakes

I have a Samsung galaxy S2. I would like to get rid of non-words like 'tge' and such that it tries to use as real words. Any ideas? And, is there a keyboard app out there that still supports Swype, and is better?

SwiftKey the best keyboard ever

Sent from my SCH-I535 using Android Central Forums

Global Posts
    289 Global Posts

Quote Originally Posted by glassygurl View Post
    autocorrect = major annoyance + embarrassing mistakes
    Agreed. It doesn't take much to learn the keyboard fluently. It happens for me that I spend less time deleting single characters than deleting whole words and waiting for autocorrect to pick up what I'm thinking.