Welcome to the Android Central Forums Create Your Account or Ask a Question Answers in 5 minutes - no registration required!
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Like Tree1Likes
  1. Thread Author  Thread Author    #1  

Default Vz asst backup plus

Just switched from an iphone 4s to this so I'm still getting used to everything.
    So far I've got SwiftKey keyboard and nova launcher so I'm getting there.

My question is how can I disable this vz backup crap? I though I disabled it in app manager but it still tries to back up. Any help is appreciated

Sent from my SCH-I535 using Tapatalk 2

Global Posts
    4,742 Global Posts
    ROM
    Stock

Default Re: Vz asst backup plus

I disabled it as well and haven't had an issue since.
  3. Thread Author  Thread Author    #3  

It shows disabled but I will get a notification that shows new files to backup

Global Posts
    4,742 Global Posts
    ROM
    Stock

Quote Originally Posted by InkedAdrenaline View Post
    It shows disabled but I will get a notification that shows new files to backup

Did you have to accept the terms of agreement of anything like that?

ROM
    Go Launcher

I went into my VZW account online and removed it from the list of free services. It hasn't bothered me since. I wish I could remove it from the phone, but doesn't seem to be an option without root.

I'm suspicious that even though I removed it, it'll somehow bother me in the future.
    Thanked by:

I rooted my wife's S3 and installed a stripped down ROM which deleted all of the Verizon crap however she was getting a repetitive text from 6205(Verizon) with a VZWMN:1 message. Once you remove the Backup Assistant Plus "feature" from verizonwireless.com the messages stopped. Good luck!

Any help on locating it on verizonwireless.com? I looked under change features and even plan. Under features all I could do was sign up for Backup Assistance Plus. Couldn't find any removal option for it.
  8. Thread Author  Thread Author    #8  

Ok I will disable the feature from my account online

ROM
    RunnyMik/stock

Quote Originally Posted by jchristianh View Post
    Any help on locating it on verizonwireless.com? I looked under change features and even plan. Under features all I could do was sign up for Backup Assistance Plus. Couldn't find any removal option for it.
    further down the line there is another backup assistant plus and it has a charge of 0 you have to remove that one to get it gone for good

ROM
    Go Launcher

Dang, that's where I found that mine was subscribed. Verizon seems obsessed with this annoying program.

(Too slow in answering am I)

Global Posts
    4,742 Global Posts
    ROM
    Stock

I checked and I didn't have any of that stuff added - that's probably why I haven't had issues.

Quote Originally Posted by Vudumedic View Post
    further down the line there is another backup assistant plus and it has a charge of 0 you have to remove that one to get it gone for good
    Yea, like the poster above me I haven't had any problems, I was just curious. However, I don't have any such feature so I'm assuming thats why I haven't had any residual issues. Thanks for the location so I could verify. Glad I'm not going crazy lol.
  13. Thread Author  Thread Author    #13  

I don't know if it matters but after I restarted my phone having no more issues with verizon backup

Yes...it was under change features and you hit remove and follow the prompts...
    Forums Emeritus

Global Posts
    13,813 Global Posts

The first time you boot, or post factory reset, it will prompt you to either Accept the Terms and Conditions or Skip. In the past, skipping would have been enough to stop it from running. Instead it tries to setup about 5 other backup and sync related Verizon apps. To avoid this, you need to repeatedly hit the home button to get you out of it, and directly to the home screen.
    cusco likes this.

I'm pretty sure when I booted for the first time I just hit 'skip' and it hasn't bothered me since. I just checked my vz account online, and sure enough it was not a feature I had (but I could add it for free!) No thanks...

I just assumed I wasn't being bothered by it since I had been using Google to back up all my contacts and everything on my DX, but who knows...
    Forums Emeritus

Global Posts
    13,813 Global Posts

Go into your settings, click application manager, and then click on running. That screen will tell a different story.

It's not running under "services in use" but when I go to "cached processes" it is there as a cached background process using 2.5MB. So that tells me it HAS done something, but I've never gotten any notifications from it asking to run.

Under the "all apps" tab I actually have two entries for Backup Assistant Plus, both at 0.0B. If I click on the first one it gives me the option to disable it, but on the second one the disable button is grayed out. Like I said, it's not bothering me in any way... like the wifi autoconnect is.
  19. Thread Author  Thread Author    #19  

Is there a way to go into a file manager and just delete it off the phone?

I noticed there are two. One does contacts, one does media. I ended up freezing all the VZW stuff that there was, then went into the one Back Up Assistant that won't allow you to disable and cleared the cache. It hasn't come up since.

Quote Originally Posted by Cory Streater View Post
    Go into your settings, click application manager, and then click on running. That screen will tell a different story.
    I also bypassed the option when I activated my phone, but I just checked, and you are right it is running. How do I permanently remove it? I stopped it, but I'm assuming when I turn the phone off and back on it'll reappear

Global Posts
    58 Global Posts

Woohoo. Thanks for the help. I was able to remove the backup assistant. Pretty annoying.
  23. Thread Author  Thread Author    #23  

Permanently removed? Or disabled?

Tapatalk'd from my Galaxy S3

Thanks everyone. I would wake up every morning to this process either running very slowly or having had failed. It was annoying and I am glad to have been able to resolve by removing it from my account online.

Forums Emeritus

Global Posts
    13,813 Global Posts

Quote Originally Posted by DianeR View Post
    I also bypassed the option when I activated my phone, but I just checked, and you are right it is running. How do I permanently remove it? I stopped it, but I'm assuming when I turn the phone off and back on it'll reappear
    All you should need to do is force stop and disable each of these services via settings -> application manager -> Running and/or All (I think they are in the running tab): Sync Service, Verizon SSO Engine Service, and Backup Assistant Plus Service. You can also Clear Data for each of these as well.

You will also see another listing called Backup Assistant Plus in the same list. When you open it, there will not be an option to disable it like there was above. Don't worry about that. It's 0 bytes and will not run.

Other things I've safely disabled include: SNS (Facebook), V Cast Tones, VZ Navigator; Samsung Account, Backup Provider, Cloud Data Relay, and Cloud Syncadapters; S Voice, My Verizon Mobile, Music Hub, Media Hub, DirectShare Manager, Color (Facebook related), Apps, Amazon Kindle, AllShare Play, and AllShare Connector.

I personally don't suggest using task managers, nor "bloat freezers." If it can't be disabled in the stock application manager, there's probably a really good reason for it.
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast