Things I dislike about the Galaxy S3

Johnly

Retired Moderator
Oct 6, 2010
Visit site
I dislike that Samsung software is so awesome, and does so many things. Nothing like facial rec going beyond unlock. Damn you Samsung for being so damn cool.

dpham00

Moderator Team VP
Apr 23, 2011
Visit site
Enable wifi and then connect to and remember a network. Turn off wifi. Hold home button and close all apps. Open Google Play Store, Youtube, or Browser. Reproducible 100% of the time for me. Only ways around it are: 1. Forget all networks, 2. Leave wifi on or 3. Use AnyCut to access the menu below. Root users also have a 4th option of editing the key using an sql editor.

Click to view quoted image

this is such a stupid thing. thanks for posting the fix though.

EvilMonkey

Jun 4, 2010
Visit site
I keep wifi on because battery life is good enough to not have to toggle it so I never see the pop up. I do agree that is annoying though.

Ditto. I haven't actually seen that, but if it's a known wireless network, why not just choose to always auto connect? Then you wouldn't see it anymore?

Unless there's a reason you wouldn't want to connect to known network?

New2GalaxyIII

Jul 13, 2012
Visit site
I don't know, my DX battery was smoked when I went onto wifi. So I figure I would save battery and only use wifi if I needed to. Besides, I'm paying for the Verizon network, so I will be using it.

draco947

Jun 12, 2012
Visit site
Completely different as that option only controls when wifi is ON but not connected. The popup is also slightly different.

Wifi ON and not connected with Notify Me box checked

Wifi OFF, notify me box unchecked and near remembered network

The interesting thing was that I was actually getting that notification to go away (second screenshot).

Turns out, though, that it was because I had exited the app without choosing a selection, and it seemingly stored that action in memory as me having ignored it, so it wasn't coming up anymore. Once I cleared the memory, it came back up, despite the settings I used.

I was really hoping I'd somehow fixed it, but thanks for being persistent that it wasn't a fix.

Apologies on my part, as I really thought I'd gotten it sorted out, at least on my phone.

andreasmro

Jun 20, 2011
Visit site
Not able to use the phone as a simple USB Storage Device with Window XP, the fascinate and droid charge were able to do it. In fact I cannot exchange files with GS3 from my PC running Windows XP using usb cable which came with the GS3. And, I tried everything, USB drivers from Samsung, Kies from Samsung, no way. I don't want, cannot use Wi-Fi. Any suggestions?

atlharry

Mar 2, 2011
Visit site
Regarding the 'notify' setting on the Wi-Fi menu, I've found that it does the opposite on my wife's phone. If I enable it, it never shows up. If I UNCHECK it, I get the notification as soon as I open YouTube.

Sent from my Galaxy Nexus using Tapatalk 2

Ricky Babalu

BEACH BUM
Aug 30, 2010
Visit site
Not able to use the phone as a simple USB Storage Device with Window XP, the fascinate and droid charge were able to do it. In fact I cannot exchange files with GS3 from my PC running Windows XP using usb cable which came with the GS3. And, I tried everything, USB drivers from Samsung, Kies from Samsung, no way. I don't want, cannot use Wi-Fi. Any suggestions?

What version of Windows Media Player are you running on Windows XP? You have to have Media Player 10 or above for MTP to work.

Roffles

May 7, 2010
Visit site
I agree with all your points except for the reception problems. In the California Bay Area, my reception is bang on and LTE is just as fast as it was in my old Droid Bionic.

One more dislike I would like to add is the volume rocker and power/screen buttons do not have enough push resistance. They are too sensitive to accidental push pressure.

For example: I turn off the screen and go to put it in my pocket. But sometimes I hit the screen wake-up button as I'm moving it into my pocket. I'm thinking it's only a matter of time before I pocket dial someone as a result. Also, while playing youtube videos, I will be tilting the phone into portrait mode to go full screen...and my fingers have pressed against the volume rocker and sent the volume up to max. Yikes! I'm sure I'll get used the the sensitivity and position of the buttons, but it's annoying for now.

Feb 26, 2011
Visit site
My complaints are minor. I love it but...
1. Too slippery- afraid I'll drop it
2. The constant notification of an available WiFi connection is annoying
3. I often hit the volume button while turning off the display

copernicus

Mar 3, 2011
Visit site

Point #2: "Settings/Wireless/WiFi Settings/Network Notification" or a similar path should allow you to get around that.

Reactions: robrecht

robrecht

Pretty good member
Feb 13, 2011
Visit site
It apparently turns on the wifi radio when ever you launch pretty much any app that uses the internet to check and see if there are any remembered networks around. Or at least that's the only way I can figure unless it's using gps.
I know some people are saying this is unrelated, but this is how I too got rid of the annoying wifi notifications on the first or second day:

Settings, WiFi, Notify me. This should be unchecked.

I do use Quick Settings to easily toggle wifi so maybe that's the reason?

By the way, Quick Settings (free version) provides quick access to a lot of settings. I've used it for years and it has always been better than the stock pull down menus that started being incorporated a couple years ago (with ICS?). The stock system is better with the S3 but amazingly stupid that Verizon got rid of the wifi toggle there.

OpenTrackRacer

Jun 29, 2011
Visit site
I have to say, the thing I dislike most so far is the physical home button. It's hard to adjust doing gentle taps on the screen or capacitive buttons and then have to switch to a hard press on the home button. I guess it could be worse!

allanmclovin

Nov 15, 2009
Visit site
I was going to post this, but atlharry beat me to it. Anyone looking to disable the wifi notifications this is what atlharry linked to: (I know some people are going to be too lazy to click over)

open the dialer and enter the following code:
*#6335623#

this will open "HiddenMenuWifiOffload" menu.
select "Disable WifiOffloading"
press OK

MikeekiM

Sep 3, 2010
Visit site

Point #3: "You're holding it wrong." - Steve Jobs

Love the S3 overalll... #3 above is my only big complaint... I tend to mute my phone only to accidentally unmute it in the middle of a quiet meeting as I try and turn the phone "off"...

I guess one other complaint I have is when I actuate S-Voice from my bluetooth headset, S-Voice doesn't seem to want to work unless I physically unlock the phone... This makes it less of a "hands free" experience...

Also, I have intermittent problems with the Samsung motion gestures and the Smart Stay.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
tress