Welcome to the Android Central Forums Create Your Account or Ask a Question Answers in 5 minutes - no registration required!
Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
Like Tree15Likes

Global Posts
    93 Global Posts

Default Re: Things I dislike about the Galaxy S3

I agree with all your points except for the reception problems. In the California Bay Area, my reception is bang on and LTE is just as fast as it was in my old Droid Bionic.

One more dislike I would like to add is the volume rocker and power/screen buttons do not have enough push resistance. They are too sensitive to accidental push pressure.

For example: I turn off the screen and go to put it in my pocket. But sometimes I hit the screen wake-up button as I'm moving it into my pocket. I'm thinking it's only a matter of time before I pocket dial someone as a result. Also, while playing youtube videos, I will be tilting the phone into portrait mode to go full screen...and my fingers have pressed against the volume rocker and sent the volume up to max. Yikes! I'm sure I'll get used the the sensitivity and position of the buttons, but it's annoying for now.

My complaints are minor. I love it but...
    1. Too slippery- afraid I'll drop it
    2. The constant notification of an available WiFi connection is annoying
    3. I often hit the volume button while turning off the display

Quote Originally Posted by JamesThomas936 View Post
    Point #2: "Settings/Wireless/WiFi Settings/Network Notification" or a similar path should allow you to get around that.
    robrecht likes this.

Point #3: "You're holding it wrong." - Steve Jobs
    JamesThomas936 likes this.

The slight delay in Touch Wiz with the weather widget...in no way that big an issue though.
    Pretty good member

Quote Originally Posted by PJnc284 View Post
    It apparently turns on the wifi radio when ever you launch pretty much any app that uses the internet to check and see if there are any remembered networks around. Or at least that's the only way I can figure unless it's using gps.
    I know some people are saying this is unrelated, but this is how I too got rid of the annoying wifi notifications on the first or second day:

Settings, WiFi, Notify me. This should be unchecked.

I do use Quick Settings to easily toggle wifi so maybe that's the reason?

By the way, Quick Settings (free version) provides quick access to a lot of settings. I've used it for years and it has always been better than the stock pull down menus that started being incorporated a couple years ago (with ICS?). The stock system is better with the S3 but amazingly stupid that Verizon got rid of the wifi toggle there.

Quote Originally Posted by info View Post
    Point #2: "Settings/Wireless/WiFi Settings/Network Notification" or a similar path should allow you to get around that.
    I believe this works better... worked like a charm on my wife's phone.

http://forums.androidcentral.com/sho....php?p=2002978

Sent from my Galaxy Nexus using Tapatalk 2

I have to say, the thing I dislike most so far is the physical home button. It's hard to adjust doing gentle taps on the screen or capacitive buttons and then have to switch to a hard press on the home button. I guess it could be worse!

I was going to post this, but atlharry beat me to it. Anyone looking to disable the wifi notifications this is what atlharry linked to: (I know some people are going to be too lazy to click over)

open the dialer and enter the following code:
    *#6335623#

this will open "HiddenMenuWifiOffload" menu.
    select "Disable WifiOffloading"
    press OK

Quote Originally Posted by wolverine2003 View Post
    Point #3: "You're holding it wrong." - Steve Jobs
    Love the S3 overalll... #3 above is my only big complaint... I tend to mute my phone only to accidentally unmute it in the middle of a quiet meeting as I try and turn the phone "off"...

I guess one other complaint I have is when I actuate S-Voice from my bluetooth headset, S-Voice doesn't seem to want to work unless I physically unlock the phone... This makes it less of a "hands free" experience...

Also, I have intermittent problems with the Samsung motion gestures and the Smart Stay.

the one thing I cant stand about the verizon s3... damn thing keeps vibrating when I play music apps over 70% volume. does not do it consistently but when it does its the most annoying god damn thing ever!!! doesn't vibrate like i'm getting a call or text, rather it seems like its trying to vibrate to whatever music is being played. almost like its trying to enhance the bass or something. I cant tell if its a glitch, or supposed to be doing it. maybe take phone back to verizon and about it, I dunno. suggestions?
  12. Thread Author  Thread Author    #62  

Since having my phone for a few months, I've decided to make a warranty claim on it for the following reasons, lets hope the new phone they're sending me works better:

1. Horrible battery life, battery was in the red after 8 hours yesterday - I'm not a heavy user
    2. Reception sucks, continued dropped calls in my normal living area where my Droid X would never have dropped calls
    3. wifi-data connectivity - terribly data connectivity, always flat lining my apps, stalling
    4. Random freezing to the point where I have to yank my battery

If I were within my 14 days, I'd trade it in and get the Razr MAXX.

Even though I had to send my phone off to Samsung for a few issues I love the phone to death and don't have any reasons to consider anything else. I have a razr maxx and while the phone runs well and the battery life is stellar it's just plain boring compared to the GS3. I'm picking up a spare battery just for emergencies but I'm going to holding onto this phone for at least a year. I like having a backup phone but I'm prob. selling my maxx very soon. The GS3 just blows everything else out of the water. If you have an issue get it fixed or do a warranty swap. I honestly think that it won't be too long of a wait for Jb and when the phone gets it this beast will be unstoppable.

Hate the fact every data files downloaded goes to phone memory. There's no way around this unless you're rooted. This is my first Sammy phone. None of my HTC phones did that. EA games data are 1gig+. I have the 16gig version and down to 2gig phone memory. Now i'm seriously looking at the upcoming LG optimus G with the s4 pro. Hope it lands on VZ.

i came from a thunderbolt and love the S3. Every new phone takes some getting used too. Alll in all great device.

Global Posts
    409 Global Posts

Quote Originally Posted by kaufmansm View Post
    i came from a thunderbolt and love the S3. Every new phone takes some getting used too. Alll in all great device.
    +1
    JSE

I came from the Rezound and while I think the Rezound is probably the most underated and ignored android phone out right now, the S3 is just amazing.

But, I have the say the position of the power button and the volume rocker in relation to each other is horrible.

Despite Jobs telling me I'm holding it wrong, I still can't get used to it. I'm constantly muting my phone by accident when I hit the power button. It's really the only thing I don't like about the phone other than the stock Gallery.

Why can't there be a catchall "All Photos" album that has everything on the phone whether it was downloaded, taken with the camera or from some other media? I hate having to go to different albums to see all my photos. Not sure if this is an ICS or Samsung issue but it's really annoying.
    bgl321 likes this.

If those are your worse problems..you have a pretty good phone..I love mine and also hate that WiFi thingy but I can live with it.

There are a few ways to turn off the wifi notification without root. I used the dialer command. Do a search in XDA for it.

Sent from my SCH-I535 using Android Central Forums

Quote Originally Posted by JSE View Post
    I came from the Rezound and while I think the Rezound is probably the most underated and ignored android phone out right now, the S3 is just amazing.

But, I have the say the position of the power button and the volume rocker in relation to each other is horrible.

Despite Jobs telling me I'm holding it wrong, I still can't get used to it. I'm constantly muting my phone by accident when I hit the power button. It's really the only thing I don't like about the phone other than the stock Gallery.

Why can't there be a catchall "All Photos" album that has everything on the phone whether it was downloaded, taken with the camera or from some other media? I hate having to go to different albums to see all my photos. Not sure if this is an ICS or Samsung issue but it's really annoying.
    +1

Global Posts
    408 Global Posts
    Carrier
    Stock

Quote Originally Posted by New2GalaxyIII View Post
    I just got this phone from Verizon earlier this week. It replaced my Motorola Droid X. I bought it solely on reviews, never even went in and saw other phones. Read that it domiates the iPhone, Droid Razor Maxx...etc.

What I dislike about this phone:
    1. I do not like that I cannot turn off the notification 'Known Wi-Fi network available. Connect?' when wifi is turned off. You can only disable this when wifi is turned on.
    2. I do not like that I cannot turn off 'predictive word' for texting/google talking/emailing, without also turning off T9 Trace (or Samsungs version of SWYPE). I cannot stand that I have to approve nearly every word when swyping, and when I go back and read it prior to sending, it's all jacked up. And if I try to use predictive text to fix a wrong word, it inserts the word in the already bad word, IE: bbad
    3. I do not like that the wifi icon is not in the notificiation area. You have to go into Settings to enable/disable wifi.
    4 I do not like that the antenna sucks, I get worse reception with this phone that I did my X.

I might return this phone....

Any tips/tidbits that I'm unaware of? I'd greatly appreciate it!
    Root your phone and unlock your bootloader

Install another Rom like the SynergyROM

This Rom gets rid of the ongoing wifi notification but you still get the pop up every once in a while.

Enjoy your new 15 notification toggles and many other new features

I can't help you with the antenna but you can try another keyboard like Swype Beta because it has the option to turn off the predictive word feature

Quote Originally Posted by phillysdon04 View Post
    This Rom gets rid of the ongoing wifi notification but you still get the pop up every once in a while.
    Ditto, but you can get rid of the wifi popup too. I did it yesterday and the popup is now a distant memory.

Here's the instructions: http://forums.androidcentral.com/ver...-reminder.html

Quote Originally Posted by New2GalaxyIII View Post
    Since having my phone for a few months, I've decided to make a warranty claim on it for the following reasons, lets hope the new phone they're sending me works better:

1. Horrible battery life, battery was in the red after 8 hours yesterday - I'm not a heavy user
    2. Reception sucks, continued dropped calls in my normal living area where my Droid X would never have dropped calls
    3. wifi-data connectivity - terribly data connectivity, always flat lining my apps, stalling
    4. Random freezing to the point where I have to yank my battery

If I were within my 14 days, I'd trade it in and get the Razr MAXX.

Return yours, it's defective.

I can easily get 8 hours of battery life.

Also this phone holds Wi-Fi signal better than my EVO

I don't get the freezing issue.

Sent from my SGH-T999 using Tapatalk 2

Global Posts
    3 Global Posts

I'd like to add a couple of issues I've had with my S3 and see if anyone else had encountered them or has solutions.
    1) When attaching photos to text messages, I randomly but frequently get the error message that the file type is not recognized (even though the picture was taken with this phone) and the photo will not attach. I have to reboot the phone after which it usually works but very annoying.
    2) I tried to pay my car registration over the phone the other day which required going through multiple branches of a phone tree (press 1 for this, 5 for that, etc.) and ultimately led to entering my CC#. When I got to the step of entering the expiration date it was as if I had somehow "overloaded" the phone's capacity to accept further keypad inputs. It wouldn't accept any more numeric inputs and the screen would go instantly black everytime I tried to enter something. I thought it might be a problem at the other end so I tried again with exactly the same result at exactly the same point in the process. I did it again on my landline phone with no problem.

Anxious to hear thoughts from the forum.

To turn off the wifi pop up to tell you about available WiFi.
    Dial *#6335623# (star-pound-6-3-3-5-6-2-3-pound) Disable button. Back out. YAaaaa no more popups
Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast