Things I dislike about the Galaxy S3

PJnc284

Nov 6, 2009
Visit site
So, if WiFi is off, how is it seeing the networks? It's not like the cellular modem should be detecting 802.11x nets.

It apparently turns on the wifi radio when ever you launch pretty much any app that uses the internet to check and see if there are any remembered networks around. Or at least that's the only way I can figure unless it's using gps.

Reactions: New2GalaxyIII

SMD

Mar 23, 2011
Visit site
Two things:
1) My home button has a delay when pressed. Hope it gets fixed.

2) Auto brightness default brightness seems really dim. Too dim. Wish it was brighter or adjustable.

...Add the wifi toggle, give me Jelly Bean this year and I'll be a happy guy.

sniktawm

Jun 30, 2012
Visit site
Toss it. Samsung Galaxy S devices are highly over-rated. I bet S4 will be released in one year anyway. Stick with the manufacture you're comfortable with.

kalnel#WN

Oct 8, 2010
Visit site
Thank you.
1. The constant notification is an actual popup and not in the notification area at the top of the screen. If I can screenshot and post, I will.
2. I tried SwiftKey3 and could not get it to 'swype'. I want to be able to swype (Or T9 Trace) with predictive text turned OFF.
3. I do not have a running notification with 'wifi on or off'. Strange.

Try Nuance's FlexT9 keyboard: https://forums.androidcentral.com/e...ils?id=com.nuance.flext9.input&token=I31o2LLD

It has a good keyboard, a Swype-style keyboard, voice, etc., rolled into one. I prefer it to anything else.

PJnc284

Nov 6, 2009
Visit site
Two things:

2) Auto brightness default brightness seems really dim. Too dim. Wish it was brighter or adjustable.

#1 is due to the phone waiting to see if the button is pressed twice for s-voice. You can turn it off by double clicking the home button, hit the menu button, choose settings and uncheck s-voice.

firetruck41

Jan 1, 2012
Visit site
I am coming from a DX and was really annoyed with the S3 keyboard. I installed the free Swype Beta (from Swype website, IIRC, not the Play Store), it is awesome, everything I liked about the DX Swype keyboard, plus it takes care of the most annoying thin from it, by allowing you to remove words from your "personal" dictionary. In the old swype, if you misspelled a word and didn't catch it, it would remember it as a "new" word and would start inserting it when you meant something else...

Forgetful

Energy hoarder
Jan 30, 2011
Visit site
Two things:

1- go to svoice app. Menu/settings then uncheck "launch s voice"

2- download "brightness widget"] and place the widget on a homescreen to easily adjust. Auto seems to suck on any phone unless you're rooted and can program the levels to your liking.

Sent from my SCH-I535 using Tapatalk 2

Reactions: HotCoil and SMD

CD1X

Oct 1, 2010
Visit site
Two things:

you can solve issue 1 by disabling double tap to S Voice.

skipper2

Oct 5, 2010
Visit site
I just got this phone from Verizon earlier this week. It replaced my Motorola Droid X. I bought it solely on reviews, never even went in and saw other phones. Read that it domiates the iPhone, Droid Razor Maxx...etc.

What I dislike about this phone:
1. I do not like that I cannot turn off the notification 'Known Wi-Fi network available. Connect?' when wifi is turned off. You can only disable this when wifi is turned on.
2. I do not like that I cannot turn off 'predictive word' for texting/google talking/emailing, without also turning off T9 Trace (or Samsungs version of SWYPE). I cannot stand that I have to approve nearly every word when swyping, and when I go back and read it prior to sending, it's all jacked up. And if I try to use predictive text to fix a wrong word, it inserts the word in the already bad word, IE: bbad
3. I do not like that the wifi icon is not in the notificiation area. You have to go into Settings to enable/disable wifi.
4 I do not like that the antenna sucks, I get worse reception with this phone that I did my X.

I might return this phone....

Any tips/tidbits that I'm unaware of? I'd greatly appreciate it!

#2. I know what you mean but that is simple. SETTINGS/LANGUAGE AND INPUT/ now click on PREDICTIVE TEXT NOT THE SLIDER. Once in there uncheck word completion. I came from a Fascinate and this was driving me crazy, couldn't even correct the words that SWYPE was coming up with.

draco947

Jun 12, 2012
Visit site
Completely unrelated. That has no impact on remembered networks that you've connected to and saved.

Is it? Because that's exactly how I got the notifications (just like the one he had in the screenshot) to not come up anymore...

Feel free to test it and see just how unrelated it is and what little impact it has.

Last edited:
Reactions: robrecht

dpham00

Moderator Team VP
Apr 23, 2011
Visit site
Correct, I have that done already. Problem is, with wifi OFF, it won't auto-connect, but it will still annoy the out of me by 'notifying me' of wifi networks available.

This must be Verizon/Samsungs way to trick people off their network and onto free wifi's. :)

i see. i guess, you could just delete the wifi network, if it is something that you don't use very often

PJnc284

Nov 6, 2009
Visit site
Is it? Because that's exactly how I got the notifications (just like the one he had in the screenshot) to not come up anymore...

Feel free to test it and see just how unrelated it is and what little impact it has.

Completely different as that option only controls when wifi is ON but not connected. The popup is also slightly different.

Wifi ON and not connected with Notify Me box checked
Screenshot_2012-07-13-20-45-50.png

Wifi OFF, notify me box unchecked and near remembered network
Screenshot_2012-07-13-20-49-43.png

Last edited:

raremage

Nov 5, 2009
Visit site
It apparently turns on the wifi radio when ever you launch pretty much any app that uses the internet to check and see if there are any remembered networks around. Or at least that's the only way I can figure unless it's using gps.
Weird, but I don't see this behavior. I've tried to replicate it but can't so far.

I did install a toggle widget to turn wifi on and off, maybe that's somehow interfering? But nothing I do so far actually makes this happen. Maybe somehow it's a result of using the VZW-modified shortcut in the notification tray?

New2GalaxyIII

Jul 13, 2012
Visit site
I just installed a wifi widget from the app store (WiFi OnOff - CurveFish). Works great. However, when I turn it off, and run my YouTube app, it immediately throws up this popup:

PJnc284

Nov 6, 2009
Visit site
Weird, but I don't see this behavior. I've tried to replicate it but can't so far.

Enable wifi and then connect to and remember a network. Turn off wifi. Hold home button and close all apps. Open Google Play Store, Youtube, or Browser. Reproducible 100% of the time for me. Only ways around it are: 1. Forget all networks, 2. Leave wifi on or 3. Use AnyCut to access the menu below. Root users also have a 4th option of editing the key using an sql editor.

Screenshot_2012-07-13-21-36-40.png

Last edited:

iron mongoose

Jun 3, 2011
Visit site
i have some album in my gallery that has nothing but blanks and weird symbols i cannot delte any of these pictures in the album or the phone locks up this sucks no 4g at my house used to have it sometimes on my crappy LG it even has trouble finishing speed test the up load takes about 30 secons to start yes i deleted app and reloaded it i like the keyboard just fine would love help on this photo gallery issue please:confused:

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
planeboy