Like Tree6Likes
  • 1 Post By techgeek32#WN
  • 1 Post By 534n
  • 1 Post By Suntan
  • 2 Post By kloos
  • 1 Post By Samgilmore
  1. Thread Author  Thread Author    #1  

Default How to silence the boot sounds.

I found an old app called Silent Boot in the Play store. It is free and mutes all of the startup sounds on the SIII. The downside is that it doesn't mute the power off sound. Hopefully someone will find a fix for that, but at least we can turn our phones on without everyone in a three state area having to hear it. This is for unrooted devices, so no root is necessary.
    Thanked by 3:
    dpham00 likes this.

Default Re: How to silence the boot sounds.

thanks, was looking for a way to do this. i can't fathom of a reason why you MUST have a boot sound that cannot be silenced from the factory settings.

Copied from my other post answering this topic: (requires root)
    --------------------
    This is easy to do if your phone is rooted, and requires no modification to any boot animation or anything.

Open a root explorer, go to /system/media/audio/ui.

Rename the following two files as shown below (not mandatory for the names to match mine, they are just for example)

PowerOn.ogg -> PowerOn.ogg.disabled
    PowerOff.ogg -> PowerOff.ogg.disabled

From here, you can also get rid of camera and other annoying sounds from the phones UI.

Hope this helps answer your question, but there is no non-root method that guarantees silence.
    --------------------
    Thanked by 4:
    Mastaking likes this.

Global Posts
    289 Global Posts

Quote Originally Posted by dpham00 View Post
    thanks, was looking for a way to do this. i can't fathom of a reason why you MUST have a boot sound that cannot be silenced from the factory settings.
    exactly. another stupid and simple thing that where app is needed instead of being integrated. lame.

You can also just press the pad of your finger firmly over the speaker while it is going. Pretty much cuts the audio.

-Suntan
    unlmtdRW likes this.

Do you guys reboot your phones that often?

Global Posts
    289 Global Posts

I think its for those who swap out their batteries throughout the day.

Quote Originally Posted by rockhopperGS3 View Post
    Do you guys reboot your phones that often?
    Egh, about once a week give or take. More out of force of habit than from need.

-Suntan

Global Posts
    93 Global Posts

Just put phone on vibrate. No sounds shutting off or turning on except for a short vibration.

I've silenced the "system volume." No more boot sounds or audible low battery warning. And I use tasker to silence the camera shutter sound. Handy.
    Thanked by 3:

Quote Originally Posted by techgeek32 View Post
    I found an old app called Silent Boot in the Play store. It is free and mutes all of the startup sounds on the SIII. The downside is that it doesn't mute the power off sound. Hopefully someone will find a fix for that, but at least we can turn our phones on without everyone in a three state area having to hear it. This is for unrooted devices, so no root is necessary.
    This is easy go to system and sounds then to volume last bar line is system just turn it down and no more startup sound.
    Thanked by:
    GaDawgsFan19 likes this.

Global Posts
    43 Global Posts

Thanks for that tip!!!!! :-)

Sent from my A500 using Android Central Forums

Quote Originally Posted by kloos View Post
    I've silenced the "system volume." No more boot sounds or audible low battery warning. And I use tasker to silence the camera shutter sound. Handy.
    Thanks...your answer is the easiest solution, works like a charm and seems like it should be common sense...it is now! lol :-)