Should I replace with Nexus?

berliner5000

Jun 22, 2012
Visit site
Hey everyone!

So I got my GS3 on Tuesday and I think it's a pretty awesome phone, but I have no idea how to use it. I upgraded from my Pre Plus (I love webOS and the homebrew community). I've searched online for tutorials on using ICS but I can't seem to find any that go into more depth than just how to check your email and make a call. for instance, I can't figure out how to get rid of the whistle sound for emails and keep it for texts-- and I can't find any tutorials.

I know that the locked bootloader is preventing a lot of personalization like rooting/flashing to JB and I was wondering if people were going to keep the GS3 or go to the nexus?

Also, if someone could point me to an awesome how to for ICS, I would be very thankful.

Thanks!

scorpiodsu

Jul 12, 2010
Visit site
Learning to use a vanilla android phone is no easier.

Try reading the touch wiz guide that's a sticky. Gives q pretty good walk through. Remember its not just ics its touchwiz on top of it. Just take your time and go through all the menus. It's tedious buts its really the best way to learn your device and be self sufficient.

You can set each notification individually. In the email app go to the settings and notifications and select what you want. Do the same for message/sms. Pretty simple. Just take some time to play around.

Sent from my SCH-I535 using Android Central Forums

asmallchild

Jan 16, 2012
Visit site
Hey everyone!

So I got my GS3 on Tuesday and I think it's a pretty awesome phone, but I have no idea how to use it. I upgraded from my Pre Plus (I love webOS and the homebrew community). I've searched online for tutorials on using ICS but I can't seem to find any that go into more depth than just how to check your email and make a call. for instance, I can't figure out how to get rid of the whistle sound for emails and keep it for texts-- and I can't find any tutorials.

I know that the locked bootloader is preventing a lot of personalization like rooting/flashing to JB and I was wondering if people were going to keep the GS3 or go to the nexus?

Also, if someone could point me to an awesome how to for ICS, I would be very thankful.

Thanks!

If you are struggling with how to use the S3, I don't think getting a Nexus makes things easier. I would recommend keeping the S3 and just continuing to fiddle with it

Reactions: scorpiodsu

majiklantrn

Apr 24, 2011
Visit site
You can't figure out how to change a ring tone, but mention rooting and adding roms????:confused:

I agree. Unless you plan on modding your phone with ROMs or other customizations I wouldn't bother. The S3 is a great phone and I've been on the Nexus since the day of release.

berliner5000

Jun 22, 2012
Visit site
You can't figure out how to change a ring tone, but mention rooting and adding roms????:confused:

I've never used android before, I'm coming off webOS 2.0 (that I put onto my Palm Pre myself).
I'm allowed to struggle with ringtones/notifications and what seems to be the never ending menu system on this phone and want to root.

scorpiodsu

Jul 12, 2010
Visit site
I do agree it takes time to get use to but what does getting use to the system have to do with root? You should first learn the OS before you even think about rooting. It has nothing to with your original concern of ring tones and menu system. Rooting doesn't solve those things. I think the others just don't understand how you can't find those options but so interested in rooting and talking about a nexus which is even less user friendly then a device like this or one with a skin on top. Again, my suggestion is spend some time with the system and you'll find stuff and worry about root another time because that's a separate thing.

Sent from my SCH-I535 using Android Central Forums

tonycannoli

Mar 18, 2012
Visit site
Hey everyone!

So I got my GS3 on Tuesday and I think it's a pretty awesome phone, but I have no idea how to use it. I upgraded from my Pre Plus (I love webOS and the homebrew community). I've searched online for tutorials on using ICS but I can't seem to...

Thanks!

I deactivated a VZW Pre 3 so big "same here." ICS is a big, fragmented monster. I hate it. Really I hate it. I never said it wasn't powerful. It is but its ugly and its like 25 people designed each individual part. I mean swipe to delete was a great borrow/steal from webOS but it only works on dismissing notifications and from the task manager. That's it? I can't swipe an email or a text? who the designed this? I really hope Matias does something special at google because this ain't it.

And I can't even use google navigation (which is awesome btw and far better than anything on webOS) without first having to decline VZW Navigator. Really? I have to put up with this for the next 2 years? I feel like prisoner.

And I hate how some apps you can close, but others you have to kill from the task manager. And that center button is lame and S voice has already been fired. I hate to say this but I may have to check out the fruit phone in the fall.

I can't believe I left webOS for this. The support for webOS was so much better than the S3. I miss the beautiful icons and fonts, gestures, cards, and swipe to delete throughout the entire OS. WebOS was a thing of beauty. Now all I have is a beautiful looking phone and loads of functions but ICS is way far short of webOS in messaging, notifications and multitasking.

I can live with change, really I can adjust but why doesn't my phone just work properly? Why can't it be beautiful? Why do I need to "customize" by downloading an add on SMS client. How come I can't get attachments on my emails? How come I can't edit a facebook contact that was synced over by just adding a phone number? Why do I need to add Hax Sync just to get my FB contact pictures unblurred in my contact list? And why isn't it obvious on how to do all these things?

I know the above is so negative but its born of frustration. Nevertheless, here we are. I'm going to try a bit more to figure this out. Android people are cool at least and there's no snobbery and I've got beautiful hardware... now is there anyway to make me fall in love? I will try a bit more.

radar320

Dec 9, 2010
Visit site
I had a Nexus for a week and returned it. The radios on the Nexus, which has been well documented, are very weak and do not hold the signal. The SIII has been a much better phone for me. I would not recommend the Nexus.

Last edited:

akronevan2

Nov 9, 2009
Visit site
I deactivated a VZW Pre 3 so big "same here." ICS is a big, fragmented monster. I hate it. Really I hate it. I never said it wasn't powerful. It is but its ugly and its like 25 people designed each individual part. I mean swipe to delete was a great borrow/steal from webOS but it only works on dismissing notifications and from the task manager. That's it? I can't swipe an email or a text? who the designed this? I really hope Matias does something special at google because this ain't it.

And I can't even use google navigation (which is awesome btw and far better than anything on webOS) without first having to decline VZW Navigator. Really? I have to put up with this for the next 2 years? I feel like prisoner.

And I hate how some apps you can close, but others you have to kill from the task manager. And that center button is lame and S voice has already been fired. I hate to say this but I may have to check out the fruit phone in the fall.

I can't believe I left webOS for this. The support for webOS was so much better than the S3. I miss the beautiful icons and fonts, gestures, cards, and swipe to delete throughout the entire OS. WebOS was a thing of beauty. Now all I have is a beautiful looking phone and loads of functions but ICS is way far short of webOS in messaging, notifications and multitasking.

I can live with change, really I can adjust but why doesn't my phone just work properly? Why can't it be beautiful? Why do I need to "customize" by downloading an add on SMS client. How come I can't get attachments on my emails? How come I can't edit a facebook contact that was synced over by just adding a phone number? Why do I need to add Hax Sync just to get my FB contact pictures unblurred in my contact list? And why isn't it obvious on how to do all these things?

I know the above is so negative but its born of frustration. Nevertheless, here we are. I'm going to try a bit more to figure this out. Android people are cool at least and there's no snobbery and I've got beautiful hardware... now is there anyway to make me fall in love? I will try a bit more.

Ok we can all hear your frustration in your rant. Let's take some breaths and get down to brass tacks. You do not "need" to customize anything, especially because at the moment there is some compatibility issues that I have noticed. Out of the box the phone works amazingly well. There are no issues that I have noticed with the radio, sensors, or any other piece of hardware. The minor compatibility issue that I speak of in the aforementioned statement is the notification LED not communicating with some third party apps (no big deal). The contact pics from Facebook is just a very small resizing issue (again, no big deal).
As we all know due in large part to most of our owning phones with a variety of Operating Systems, each OS is different, and each has it's own pro's and con's. If you really do not care to delve into the phone to find out what it can really do, by all means feel free to switch. From my experience, and that includes iOS and BB, Android is by far a better system. I believe this because it is highly customizable, reliable, informative, and easy to use. Please do remember that there is a learning curve involved, so do not become too frustrated so early on. Feel free to ask questions because there are very knowledgeable members in these forums that would be willing to answer almost any question you can come up with.
If you have any questions that I can answer, you are more than welcome to ask. Welcome to Android, we hope you enjoy your stay! :D

Reactions: tonycannoli

Tyegly

Jan 8, 2012
Visit site
Tonycannoli,

Over the course of 2 years I used a Palm Pre Plus and I Pre 2 after having used many Palm PDAs over many years. Once the demise of webOS was announced, I started looking for a replacement and settled on Android. Turns out, I wasn't settling at all. There are some things that webOS did better but there is so much more that Android does better. Keep an open mind and you will see. The superior hardware and huge app market were enough for me, but that's just the beginning.

See this forum for help adjusting from webOS to Android:
http://forums.androidcentral.com/general-help-how/33254-palm-webos-homebrewers-guide-android.html

Reactions: tonycannoli

tonycannoli

Mar 18, 2012
Visit site
thanks but its the little things that annoy me like if I download an SMS client why do I need to keep telling the S3 that I want to send the SMS using the new client rather than the stock?

How can I stop having to decline VZW navigator each time I pull up google nav?

Why can't I edit a contact brought over from a FB sync? I don't know?

Its just things like that. Sorry about the negative vibes and thanks for your generous response. I do respect customization and that's why I'm here and not with the iphone.

Tyegly

Jan 8, 2012
Visit site
When I begin a task that has multiple apps that can perform the task, a menu opens asking which app I want to use. At the bottom of the menu is a check box that says "use by default for this action". Check that and it won't ask again. If you later decide to use a different app, you can clear the default in App Manager.

I disabled VZ Navigator using App Manager and I never get asked about it when I open Google Nav.

As for FB, I rarely use it and don't care about using it for contacts so I can't help you with that.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
kerokekerol