Slow battery charging time

cavscout19

Jul 15, 2012
Visit site
Is this normal.... my battery takes forever to charge. no I havent timed a full charge but my iphone 4 would charge from 30-40% to 100% in an hour or less.

as i type this (on a computer) im looking at my phone and the battery % shows 7%...I plugged it into the charger 30 minutes ago at 2%.

If this doesnt improve my only solution will be to buy extra batteries.

majiklantrn

Apr 24, 2011
Visit site
That isn't normal. My battery charges pretty fast. You could try taking the phone and battery to the store and show them the slow charge.

asmallchild

Jan 16, 2012
Visit site
Mine is pretty slow too compared to the nexus

Battery discharge however is also slower than the nexus :)

Sent from my SCH-I535 using Tapatalk

ryanr509

Jul 11, 2012
Visit site
Is this normal.... my battery takes forever to charge. no I havent timed a full charge but my iphone 4 would charge from 30-40% to 100% in an hour or less.

as i type this (on a computer) im looking at my phone and the battery % shows 7%...I plugged it into the charger 30 minutes ago at 2%.

U also need to realize the iPhone battery is 1400mah where as the s3 is 2100 so that's 1.5 times bigger and that much longer to charge. But 5% in 30minutes does seem slow.

Sent from my DROID RAZR using Android Central Forums

Reactions: taylorz_412

Dunbar42

Mar 6, 2011
Visit site
Are you charging it off a wall outlet? I've found if you just plug the cable into a computer USB port it charges really slow. My iPad does the same thing. I believe it's because most USB ports aren't rated at a high enough power draw to charge the phone quickly.

JHBThree

Feb 15, 2012
Visit site

Its because its plugged into a computer. The newer smart phones draw too much power for a USB port to charge them unless they're off.

Sent from my Galaxy Nexus using Tapatalk 2

Suntan

Mar 16, 2011
Visit site
Mine does seem to charge slower than my old Droid 3. I only charge plugged into the wall.

It feels like the GSIII takes twice as long.

-Suntan

taylorz_412

Aug 28, 2011
Visit site
I didn't notice mine lasts me all day and plug it in overnight :p (knocks on wood) but that doesn't sound right to me

Sent from my SCH-I535 using Android Central Forums

JHBThree

Feb 15, 2012
Visit site
Mine does seem to charge slower than my old Droid 3. I only charge plugged into the wall.

It feels like the GSIII takes twice as long.

-Suntan

The battery on the GS3 is significantly bigger.

Sent from my Galaxy Nexus using Tapatalk 2

NIKSTORM

Mar 25, 2010
Visit site
I agree the battery does take longer to charge (using any method), I just chalked it up to it being bigger and the fact that it's discharge rate is also so much slower.
O. P.. The computer is the slowest even with my small as battery on my old dinc.

Suntan

Mar 16, 2011
Visit site
The battery on the GS3 is significantly bigger.

Thanks for laying that revelation on me...

The Droid 3 has about a 1500mAh battery and comes with a 700 mA charger.

The GSIII has a battery that is only about a third bigger than the Droid 3 (2100/1540=1.36), comes with a larger capacity charger (1A) and yet it seems to take about twice as long.

I'm not bagging on the phone (relax, your phone is still double-cool) I'm just relaying to the OP that his observation is not completely unique.

-Suntan

JHBThree

Feb 15, 2012
Visit site
Thanks for laying that revelation on me...

The Droid 3 has about a 1500mAh battery and comes with a 700 mA charger.

The GSIII has a battery that is only about a third bigger than the Droid 3 (2100/1540=1.36), comes with a larger capacity charger (1A) and yet it seems to take about twice as long.

I'm not bagging on the phone (relax, your phone is still double-cool) I'm just relaying to the OP that his observation is not completely unique.

-Suntan

Well yeah, but saying it takes longer than your Droid 3 doesn't really mean much considering the bigger battery. It should take longer.

Besides that, as has already been discussed, the issue is that it was plugged into a USB port.

Suntan

Mar 16, 2011
Visit site
Well yeah, but saying it takes longer than your Droid 3 doesn't really mean much considering the bigger battery. It should take longer.

I said it feels like it takes twice as long. I didn't just say it takes "longer."

The GSIII has about 30% more storage capacity compared to the Droid 3 but seems to take twice as long to charge even though it ships with a charger capable of outputting 40% more current.

Besides that, as has already been discussed, the issue is that it was plugged into a USB port.

Where did the OP acknowledge that it was plugged into a computer? All he stated was that he plugged it into the charger. You're the only one jumping to conclusions that the OP had it plugged into a computer.

-Suntan

DreamSTi

Nov 18, 2009
Visit site
The charger that comes with this phone is weak, I believe 0.8 mA. All of my HTC chargers are 1.5 mA. The battery in this phone is also pretty big :p

cavscout19

Jul 15, 2012
Visit site
Thanks for all the responses. After reading I realized the charger was probably the culprit. I was at work and had my gs3 plugged into my bosses charger he uses for his work phone. I was not aware that chargers vary from phone to phone/brand to brand. (Good to know)

Once I got home the charge time improved to what must be normal for this phone.

But thus brings up another question. I typically keep a charger at work car and home. Would the only smart option be to buy chargers from vzw?

I'd hate to buy a couple off eBay only tohave them suck like my bosses charger.

Thanks folks

Varjohaltia

Jun 12, 2012
Visit site
My Galaxy Nexus (the Google one) charges remarkably slowly as well. I'm using the tiny charger that came with it, but a different (longer) USB-Micro-USB cable, which I wouldn't think affects it.
At work, plugged into a computer, it charged maybe 10% in an hour.

nelonez

Dec 31, 2010
Visit site
Mines charges from 10 to full in about three hours.. not that bad...

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I747 using Android Central Forums

ajaxkiller

Jun 21, 2012
Visit site
I noticed the same slow speed when I first got my phone. I just plugged it into my old BB charger that I have in my room and then noticed the charger it comes with is much faster due to the increase amperage.

Also most new motherboards have a charging solution via software interface to increase output to the usb Ports. My desktop has asus charge and increases the voltage to compensate for more power hungry devices like smartphones and tablets.

Does anyone know anything about quick chargers because even with the supplied charger sometimes 3 hours is too long. I remember reading higher amperage chargers but am a little worried about what it could do to the phone.

Sent from my SCH-I535 using Android Central Forums

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
coehlcke