Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Like Tree1Likes
  1. Thread Author  Thread Author    #1  

Default Slow battery charging time

Is this normal.... my battery takes forever to charge. no I havent timed a full charge but my iphone 4 would charge from 30-40% to 100% in an hour or less.

as i type this (on a computer) im looking at my phone and the battery % shows 7%...I plugged it into the charger 30 minutes ago at 2%.

If this doesnt improve my only solution will be to buy extra batteries.

Dunno I charged my phone in the car it went up 10 in a half hour

Sent from my SCH-I535 using Android Central Forums
    andya1942 likes this.

Default Re: Slow battery charging time

That isn't normal. My battery charges pretty fast. You could try taking the phone and battery to the store and show them the slow charge.

Global Posts
    1,564 Global Posts
    ROM

Mine is pretty slow too compared to the nexus

Battery discharge however is also slower than the nexus :-)

Sent from my SCH-I535 using Tapatalk

Quote Originally Posted by rtf8vc View Post
    Is this normal.... my battery takes forever to charge. no I havent timed a full charge but my iphone 4 would charge from 30-40% to 100% in an hour or less.

as i type this (on a computer) im looking at my phone and the battery % shows 7%...I plugged it into the charger 30 minutes ago at 2%.

U also need to realize the iPhone battery is 1400mah where as the s3 is 2100 so that's 1.5 times bigger and that much longer to charge. But 5% in 30minutes does seem slow.

Sent from my DROID RAZR using Android Central Forums
    Thanked by:

Are you charging it off a wall outlet? I've found if you just plug the cable into a computer USB port it charges really slow. My iPad does the same thing. I believe it's because most USB ports aren't rated at a high enough power draw to charge the phone quickly.

Its because its plugged into a computer. The newer smart phones draw too much power for a USB port to charge them unless they're off.

Sent from my Galaxy Nexus using Tapatalk 2

Mine does seem to charge slower than my old Droid 3. I only charge plugged into the wall.

It feels like the GSIII takes twice as long.

-Suntan

Global Posts
    2,265 Global Posts
    ROM
    Clean ROM

I didn't notice mine lasts me all day and plug it in overnight (knocks on wood) but that doesn't sound right to me

Quote Originally Posted by Suntan View Post
    Mine does seem to charge slower than my old Droid 3. I only charge plugged into the wall.

It feels like the GSIII takes twice as long.

-Suntan
    The battery on the GS3 is significantly bigger.

Sent from my Galaxy Nexus using Tapatalk 2

I agree the battery does take longer to charge (using any method), I just chalked it up to it being bigger and the fact that it's discharge rate is also so much slower.
    O. P.. The computer is the slowest even with my small as battery on my old dinc.

Quote Originally Posted by JHBThree View Post
    The battery on the GS3 is significantly bigger.
    Thanks for laying that revelation on me...

The Droid 3 has about a 1500mAh battery and comes with a 700 mA charger.

The GSIII has a battery that is only about a third bigger than the Droid 3 (2100/1540=1.36), comes with a larger capacity charger (1A) and yet it seems to take about twice as long.

I'm not bagging on the phone (relax, your phone is still double-cool) I'm just relaying to the OP that his observation is not completely unique.

-Suntan

Quote Originally Posted by Suntan View Post
    Thanks for laying that revelation on me...

The Droid 3 has about a 1500mAh battery and comes with a 700 mA charger.

The GSIII has a battery that is only about a third bigger than the Droid 3 (2100/1540=1.36), comes with a larger capacity charger (1A) and yet it seems to take about twice as long.

I'm not bagging on the phone (relax, your phone is still double-cool) I'm just relaying to the OP that his observation is not completely unique.

-Suntan
    Well yeah, but saying it takes longer than your Droid 3 doesn't really mean much considering the bigger battery. It should take longer.

Besides that, as has already been discussed, the issue is that it was plugged into a USB port.

Well yeah, but saying it takes longer than your Droid 3 doesn't really mean much considering the bigger battery. It should take longer.
    I said it feels like it takes twice as long. I didn't just say it takes "longer."

The GSIII has about 30% more storage capacity compared to the Droid 3 but seems to take twice as long to charge even though it ships with a charger capable of outputting 40% more current.

Besides that, as has already been discussed, the issue is that it was plugged into a USB port.
    Where did the OP acknowledge that it was plugged into a computer? All he stated was that he plugged it into the charger. You're the only one jumping to conclusions that the OP had it plugged into a computer.

-Suntan

The charger that comes with this phone is weak, I believe 0.8 mA. All of my HTC chargers are 1.5 mA. The battery in this phone is also pretty big
  16. Thread Author  Thread Author    #16  

Thanks for all the responses. After reading I realized the charger was probably the culprit. I was at work and had my gs3 plugged into my bosses charger he uses for his work phone. I was not aware that chargers vary from phone to phone/brand to brand. (Good to know)

Once I got home the charge time improved to what must be normal for this phone.

But thus brings up another question. I typically keep a charger at work car and home. Would the only smart option be to buy chargers from vzw?

I'd hate to buy a couple off eBay only tohave them suck like my bosses charger.

Thanks folks

Mine charges from 10% to full in less than two hours. It charges much faster than any other smartphone I have owned.

Global Posts
    4 Global Posts

My Galaxy Nexus (the Google one) charges remarkably slowly as well. I'm using the tiny charger that came with it, but a different (longer) USB-Micro-USB cable, which I wouldn't think affects it.
    At work, plugged into a computer, it charged maybe 10% in an hour.

Mines charges from 10 to full in about three hours.. not that bad...

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I747 using Android Central Forums

I noticed the same slow speed when I first got my phone. I just plugged it into my old BB charger that I have in my room and then noticed the charger it comes with is much faster due to the increase amperage.

Also most new motherboards have a charging solution via software interface to increase output to the usb Ports. My desktop has asus charge and increases the voltage to compensate for more power hungry devices like smartphones and tablets.

Does anyone know anything about quick chargers because even with the supplied charger sometimes 3 hours is too long. I remember reading higher amperage chargers but am a little worried about what it could do to the phone.

Question Re: Slow battery charging time

My S3 is charging really very slowly. i plugged it into the wall socket with the Samsung provided wall charger and it took me more than 7 hours to get the phone fully charged. I think this is ridiculous. I have Galaxy Note as well which is having a 2500mah battery and it is taking much faster to fully charge it. Any idea where went wrong?

Thanks for all the responses. After reading I realized the charger was probably the culprit. I was at work and had my gs3 plugged into my bosses charger he uses for his work phone. I was not aware that chargers vary from phone to phone/brand to brand. (Good to know)

Once I got home the charge time improved to what must be normal for this phone.

But thus brings up another question. I typically keep a charger at work car and home. Would the only smart option be to buy chargers from vzw?

I'd hate to buy a couple off eBay only tohave them suck like my bosses charger.

Thanks folks
    I *think* the charger that came with the phone runs at 1 Amp (don't have it here in front of me to check). Generic chargers can provide power at varying ranges from 500 mA up to 2 A (2000 mA; generally for tablets).

You should be able to check the output of the charger -- it will be printed on it somewhere in that fine print.

At work, I use an old BlackBerry charger that is only 850 mA, but it just the job done...just a bit slower than the one that came with the phone that I keep at home. Most car chargers are 500 mA.

It may not cause any damage, but I generally do not use chargers that have higher amp output than the one that came with my device.

Also, some chargers are just cheap pieces of @#$% that simply don't work, regardless what what's printed on them.

My charger slowed tremendously in the past couple of weeks - this is the charger i got with my phone. Last night it was at 14 percent and seven hours later it went up to 40 percent! However, when i plugged it to my Blackberry charger into my laptop's USB slot, it went up from 40 to 100 in an hour. Something fishy?

Global Posts
    758 Global Posts

If the charger is at least 800ma. then that is about as much as you need. The max charge rate is about 800 ma. The battery is 2100ma. So figure (roughly) 2.5 hour for a full charge.
    BUT, if the phone thinks it is plugged into a PC USB port, it pulls about 300ma. Figure more like 7 hours to fully charge. If the connector is starting to fail, if it is the wrong type of cable, or the wrong type of charger, it will charge at the slower PC USB rate. If you need a fast charge, then it needs to be a charger / cable combo with the correct wiring. Install 'battery monitor widget'. It will identify the charger type (AC versus PC USB) and track the current to let you know if a cable is failing, or the after market charger is a low rate charger. There is no point in a charger much over 800ma because the phone can't use it. But the charger and cable MUST identify it as the higher rate.
    If the phone is pulling a lot of power also, like the screen on or heavy data usage, then less power will get to the battery. I have also seen at least one cable that had such small wire in it that it couldn't supply the current, but that is rare.
    BTW, I use a low rate charger for overnight charging anyway just to keep the phone cooler. I only use a high rate charger during the day when I need a quick charge.
    Thanked by:
    jrmy 

Global Posts
    289 Global Posts

Mine usually takes 2 hours from a wall charge, takes forever when its hooked up to my PC with a USB cable.
    Verizon GS3 - "Give me signal or give me death!"
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast