losing network

PolarBear8

Jul 2, 2012
Visit site
I recieved my sgs3 last monday. Ever since my network has come and gone on a regular basis. It can be in various states... no network connection, 1X, 3G or 4G.

I should mentioned that I live and work in a 4G area.

I have called *611 and went through several settings then was told to get a new sim card from the local verizon store.

I am still having issues with the network.

I didn't see a thread so I am guessing this isn't a popular issue.

gg2005

May 24, 2011
Visit site
Same thing here...

Same thing that happened when I had the Galaxy Nexus too.

Guess I'll need to stop at the Vzw store on the way home today and have them try a new phone/SIM card....if this keeps happening, this phone is going back (just like the Nexus).

Love the phone, but it has to work as a phone first, everything else second.

Make me wonder if the Samsung/Verizon 4G radios are total garbage...

Cave1693

Feb 13, 2011
Visit site
I couldnt rx my home tower located out in the boondocks. When i drove by it i could t get a 3g signal while my wifes mot dazr worked fine off that tower. I called vz and the rep connected me to a more technical person that handles these issues. I think he may have pushed a prl update to my s3. Whatever he did i started rx 3g off local tower. The prl file was the same number but it might have been a newer version. Funny thing my wife has the same prl and no trouble on her razr. We used to be part of alltel and this tower is was put up by cell one who was bought by alltell who was bougght by vz. For some reason my phone didnt want to connect to it.

Sent from my SCH-I535 using Tapatalk 2

anon(3092520)

Mar 18, 2011
Visit site
There have been a lot of problems with the Verizon network over the past 6 weeks or so. Your phone isn't the problem, I had a Thunderbolt and was experiencing the same thing. I've seen people with other phones complaining as well. Verizon hasn't officially acknowledged there being an issue but I had a member of 2nd tier tech support admit to me that there was.

steveh552

Trusted Member
Mar 6, 2010
Visit site
Bought mine on new contract yesterday and my data drops bad. I'm wanting Verizon for the nice phone and 4g but my boost mobile is working better. Not a good thing

Sent from my LG-LG855 using Android Central Forums

rfurman24

Jul 5, 2012
Visit site
I'm having this issue on my s3. It is the phone NOT Verizon. My dinc had absolutely no issues. I love this device but the phone part is a big down arrow right now. I hope I can get it fixed.

gg2005

May 24, 2011
Visit site
I can understand if they are having problems with their 4G network, but the phone needs to grab a 3G signal if 4G is unavailable (assuming you are in a 4G/3G coverage area, which I am). That's how it's supposed to work.

Sick of Verizon's crappy radios. If I hadn't returned the Nexus months ago, I would have been stuck with a radio that is crap. Looks like the same thing with the G3.

Ordered a Nexus from Google, and after 13 years with Verizon, switching over to AT&T as soon as it arrives.

Lack of unlimited data isn't a deal breaker for me. Having a phone that works as a phone, and a phone first, is important.

Tampaguy75

Jun 6, 2012
Visit site
The radios in my phone have been working great! I live in a 4G area, and I am almost always connected to 4G. At a restaurant the other day, the data did go to 3G,and I was surprised. I have zero complaints with reception.

PolarBear8

Jul 2, 2012
Visit site
There have been a lot of problems with the Verizon network over the past 6 weeks or so. Your phone isn't the problem, I had a Thunderbolt and was experiencing the same thing. I've seen people with other phones complaining as well. Verizon hasn't officially acknowledged there being an issue but I had a member of 2nd tier tech support admit to me that there was.

They might start once people start exchanging phones and it starts costing them

PolarBear8

Jul 2, 2012
Visit site
I have dealt with their technical support going through settings, resetting the phone, pulling the sim, replacing the sim, pushing out an update to my phone and now finally they are sending out a new phone. My issue has not been that I do not get 4g (I am in a 4g area). My issue is losing connection completely.

lbkiml

Jul 2, 2012
Visit site
Yep, lower signal for me. Got full reception with my old phone at work, now i barely get any 4g/3g signal, when my coworkers get full 4g/3g signal with Tmo and AT&T. Some have the S3 as well.

Can barely even browse the web anymore.

anthony2558

Jan 15, 2011
Visit site
I can understand if they are having problems with their 4G network, but the phone needs to grab a 3G signal if 4G is unavailable (assuming you are in a 4G/3G coverage area, which I am). That's how it's supposed to work.

Sick of Verizon's crappy radios. If I hadn't returned the Nexus months ago, I would have been stuck with a radio that is crap. Looks like the same thing with the G3.

Ordered a Nexus from Google, and after 13 years with Verizon, switching over to AT&T as soon as it arrives.

Lack of unlimited data isn't a deal breaker for me. Having a phone that works as a phone, and a phone first, is important.

Its not verizon's radios. It's samsungs radios. You will have the same problem with the nexus on at&t. The only thing that's gonna help is if at&t has better network coverage in your area.

Sent from my DROID RAZR using Tapatalk 2

dubge

Dec 21, 2009
Visit site
I have also lost connection all together a few times and it wouldnt bother me as much but wifi is even worse! I can not even use wifi in my house because it drops so much, someone suggested an app called wifi fixer and all that did was reset the connection over and over, I could literally watch it do it a few times over the course of 5 mins or so

AVInstaller

Dec 19, 2011
Visit site
I bought the Galaxy Nexus on release day....although reception was noticeably worse than all other Moto's I've used, it was better than most other people's Nexus. Then dropped that Nexus in the toilet, and my replacement Nexus was much worse in the reception department. Almost no dropped calls, but lack of data connection at times, and slow data other times. (Other than that, loved the phone).....

Fast forward to last week, receiving a new Samsung Galaxy S3....great device as far as camera, screen, battery life marginally better, but what's with the damn signal issues again? Come on Samsung.....cannot stay locked on wifi, when all other devices stay locked on. Intermittent data thru wifi.....rarely on 4G unless in a very strong area......even my Nexus was pulling approx -108dbm with 4G in my house, but the S3 (if 4G at all), is -110 to -114dbm 4G coverage at my house. Even 3G service drops at times, and appears very weak. Today, I dropped 3 calls back to back to back, in an area that I never dropped calls with my Nexus. My wife also received a brand new S3, and the only thing I have tested with her phone, is viewing the signal level in Status, and it appears to have similar weak signal as my new S3.......Very frustrating, considering I paid full retail to boot........and yes, both of us are using brand new SIM cards sent by Verizon.

hemp1217

Dec 19, 2010
Visit site
I have dealt with their technical support going through settings, resetting the phone, pulling the sim, replacing the sim, pushing out an update to my phone and now finally they are sending out a new phone. My issue has not been that I do not get 4g (I am in a 4g area). My issue is losing connection completely.

I have been having the same issues as PolarBear. There is another thread on the topic, something like "No Sim".

I am on my third phone and fourth SIM card in 14 days (got the last one last night), but continue to experience a consistent series of events which ususally evolves around: I cannot send a text nor make a call. I called my wireless phone with my desk phone and it immediately goes into voicemail. When I place a call or attempt to send a text message, the phone goes from showing 4G with 2-3 bars, to the circle with a line across it, to displaying the Out of Service Area message, it then has a slight delay then shows the No Sim message at the top left of the phone, a few seconds later some service bars are displayed, then about 5 seconds later the 4G logo is again displayed.

I have been working with Level 2 support for 10-days, and a person supporting the associated critical Network Ticket. They just can't figure out the solution.

I have to decide today if it goes back or if I swap...the 14 day rule.

didiwags

Jun 28, 2010
Visit site
I have not had any issues, it actually connects way better then my old rezound. I was always losing data with it. No dropping of netwotk at all so far. Stays in 4G way better also.

Sent from my SCH-rI535 using Android Central Forums

TonyXL

Jul 11, 2012
Visit site
I have the same dbm readings as my co-workers' Razr Maxx and Galaxy Nexus. 4G area, but indoors all of our phones seem to split 50/50 between 4G/3G.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
WillyC