Like Tree1Likes
  • 1 Post By ryano3317
  1. Thread Author  Thread Author    #1  

Default Simultaneous voice/data over 3G!!!

Not that I ever use it, but it is cool to know that I can do data/voice at the same time over 3G (WiFi off)!!! I know I can over 4G, but that is not an option as of now! It should be soon. A city about an hour away has it. I might have to make the trip, just to try t out!!!

Sent from my SCH-I535 using Android Central Forums

Default Re: Simultaneous voice/data over 3G!!!

Quote Originally Posted by ryano3317 View Post
    Not that I ever use it, but it is cool to know that I can do data/voice at the same time over 3G (WiFi off)!!! I know I can over 4G, but that is not an option as of now! It should be soon. A city about an hour away has it. I might have to make the trip, just to try t out!!!

Thats cool and all... but you would drive 2 hours just to watch it work? 3G is so painfully slow compared to 4G too... When I see the 3G icon in there I just mentally assume that data isn't worth using anyway. Guess I am spoiled after a week of 20 to 40 Mbit/s internet on 4G.
    Pretty good member

I saw a headline about this somewhere and thought: Haven't we known this for some time now?

Global Posts
    79 Global Posts

I noticed that working yesterday in Sierra Vista, AZ. I got a gtalk message (data) while on the phone. I had heard they were updating CDMA but that was the first I had seen it work. I can verify that it's in operation for you. :-)

this has been posted some time ago. If you want to test it, just use the "phone info" app in the play store and switch to cdma auto prl. This will force 3g.

Quote Originally Posted by robrecht View Post
    I saw a headline about this somewhere and thought: Haven't we known this for some time now?
    yeah, believe there was an article on Droid-Life about it acting like it was some huge feat that no one knew about. Heck, even the early documentation showed it as supporting voice and data over 3G and we already knew the processor supported it.
    Energy hoarder

Global Posts
    1,473 Global Posts
    ROM
    stock rooted

I really like this feature.

Sent from my SCH-I535 using Tapatalk 2

Quote Originally Posted by PJnc284 View Post
    yeah, believe there was an article on Droid-Life about it acting like it was some huge feat that no one knew about. Heck, even the early documentation showed it as supporting voice and data over 3G and we already knew the processor supported it.
    iirc, droid-life took it from the fcc filing.

the rezound and the tbolt already has this feature . i dont know why verizon didnt force all makers the have this feature as its actually pretty handy .

This was always a Verizon issue not a manufacturer issue. Verizon did not implement the full CDMA spec which has always allowed for voice and data at the same time. I used to work at Motorola (In IT not Phone engineering) and one of the original designers of the CDMA spec told me this.

Global Posts
    109 Global Posts

Do you mean like being able to search stuff on the internet and talk at the same time?

Hmm. I didn't know CDMA was actually capable of it. I thought it was just the downside of CDMA. Since LTE is GSM based, it's no surprise that it works, but never knew VZW had the capability of making it happen. One more reason to hate VZW
    Devices:

Rooted HTC Droid Incredible
    Rooted Nook Color
    Rooted HTC Rezound
    Soon to be rooted Galaxy S4

Quote Originally Posted by 318sugarhill View Post
    Hmm. I didn't know CDMA was actually capable of it. I thought it was just the downside of CDMA. Since LTE is GSM based, it's no surprise that it works, but never knew VZW had the capability of making it happen. One more reason to hate VZW
    Yeah, CDMA has been capable of it for a while but neither Verizon nor Sprint made the changes required. The Thunderbolt was the first but Verizon didn't advertise it because it apparently didn't live up to their standards. The Thunderbolt (and Rezound) did it by having separate modems so the GSIII is the first to do so with 1 chip and true SVDO.
  14. Thread Author  Thread Author    #14  

Well, it turns out, I won't have to go far to try 4G, because LTE was just turned on in the town I work!!! I can't believe I just downloaded a entire CD in just 1min and 10 secs!!!!!!!!!!! Love 4G!!!!!!

MERCDROID likes this.