E-Mail Questions

NAPA55

Jul 18, 2012
Visit site
Coming from a blackberry I'm having some issues with e-mail. Trying to simplify this as much as possible:

I use outlook as my PC email client. It is not normallly kept open, ie only downloads from server when opened.

With the BB, I would receive mail, read it and the message would stay on my device and not be downloaded from the server (so it would appear in outlook next time it was opened). I also had the option to delete (removes from device) or delete and remove from server (so if i open outlook later, I would not get the message there).

On the outlook side, when, it would download messages from the server and I would not see them on the device.

What seems to be happening now is if i read a message on the phone it remains for a while until some random time after I open outlook, then it disappears, sometimes a day or two later.

I'm guessing there is no way to make it work the way I am used to, which is a shame. Can anybody explain what is going on?

DianeR

Jun 7, 2012
Visit site
Coming from a blackberry I'm having some issues with e-mail. Trying to simplify this as much as possible:

I use outlook as my PC email client. It is not normallly kept open, ie only downloads from server when opened.

With the BB, I would receive mail, read it and the message would stay on my device and not be downloaded from the server (so it would appear in outlook next time it was opened). I also had the option to delete (removes from device) or delete and remove from server (so if i open outlook later, I would not get the message there).

On the outlook side, when, it would download messages from the server and I would not see them on the device.

What seems to be happening now is if i read a message on the phone it remains for a while until some random time after I open outlook, then it disappears, sometimes a day or two later.

I'm guessing there is no way to make it work the way I am used to, which is a shame. Can anybody explain what is going on?

I use an exchange account also. When my work email downloads from the server, it stays on the server. My outlook on my desktop shows the same emails as on my S3. If I delete an email in either place the email is deleted from the server.

I think the issue might be how your outlook is set up on your desktop. My outlook used to be set up so the emails DID download to the pc. However, corporate had me change the outlook settings a few years ago so all of the email actually sits on the server, even when viewed through outlook on my desktop. this way when I use webmail to view my outlook (even on a pc, such as at a client site) or on my phone I always see the same emails (and folders).

NAPA55

Jul 18, 2012
Visit site
Clarification: not a corporate exchange server, just using outlook at home for my email accts.

Still don't understand why some messages stay for a while and disappear, regardless of whether or not they have been downloaded from the server into outlook.

I was real happy with the email on the BB, but apps were non existant. Now the opposite is true!

ibcop

Trusted Member
Mar 9, 2011
Visit site
Clarification: not a corporate exchange server, just using outlook at home for my email accts.

Still don't understand why some messages stay for a while and disappear, regardless of whether or not they have been downloaded from the server into outlook.

I was real happy with the email on the BB, but apps were non existant. Now the opposite is true!

I am also moving from BlackBerry - and lemme tall ya, I'd much rather have the apps and deal with the email. Gee, I have finally have the USAA banking app - damn sure couldn't with BB! :D

NAPA55

Jul 18, 2012
Visit site
I am also moving from BlackBerry - and lemme tall ya, I'd much rather have the apps and deal with the email. Gee, I have finally have the USAA banking app - damn sure couldn't with BB! :D

I agree, apps are great, I think I already have 10X more than I ever had on the BB... can finally take a pic of a check to deposit instead of going to the bank....and use all the apps that say "iphone, android"....but no blackberry...

Just gonna have to work thru it, nothing is perfect I guess.

Now if somebody can tell me how to stop the screen from locking every time it times out I would be really happy. Having to swipe, etc. every time it times out is a pain!

Ricky Babalu

BEACH BUM
Aug 30, 2010
Visit site
I agree, apps are great, I think I already have 10X more than I ever had on the BB... can finally take a pic of a check to deposit instead of going to the bank....and use all the apps that say "iphone, android"....but no blackberry...

Just gonna have to work thru it, nothing is perfect I guess.

Now if somebody can tell me how to stop the screen from locking every time it times out I would be really happy. Having to swipe, etc. every time it times out is a pain!

Menu>System Settings>Security>Screen Lock>None.

anon(1058619)

Jul 15, 2012
Visit site

Have you checked your settings in outlook? if you only have POP access your outlook may be deleting the emails after it downloads them. There is a setting under the "Advanced" tab to leave the mail on the server. The other option is to find out if the email service offers IMAP and change your outlook settings to use that.

NAPA55

Jul 18, 2012
Visit site
Screen lock clarification: guess it is a BB thing too....
With the screen lock on, when it times out I have to unlock it. Or if I lock with the side button...the same thing. The time out, then an unlock is a bother. With lock off, hitting the side button or the home key in a pocket could cause phantom who knows what.

It would be nice to be able to have it stay unlocked with a time out. And only lock by pushing the lock button on the side. Thats the way my BB worked. In other words, it stayed unlocked unless manually locked. :-(

charlier180

Jul 7, 2010
Visit site
Have you checked your settings in outlook? if you only have POP access your outlook may be deleting the emails after it downloads them. There is a setting under the "Advanced" tab to leave the mail on the server. The other option is to find out if the email service offers IMAP and change your outlook settings to use that.

I use Windows Live Mail 2011 on my laptop which is configured as POP3. In WLM under Advanced Settings I have "Leave Mail on Server" checked.
There is an additional setting "Remove from server when removed from Deleted Items" which I have checked as well. Having the email client on my laptop configured this way keeps the emails from disappearing from my S3's email app until I have read them on the S3 and/or read & deleted them using my laptop's email client.

The stock email app on the S3 under "incoming settings" has a setting for "Delete email from server" which I believe defaults to "never". It also has a setting "When I delete from Inbox".
If this setting is checked and the S3 pulls down an email and I delete it (before my laptop pulls it down), then the S3 deletes it from my email server and the email is not there for my laptop to pull it into WLM.

To the Original Poster:

- It sounds like under "Advanced" settings in your email client, you have it configured to "Remove from server after" a specified number of days. When that number of day(s) passes those emails are deleted from the server and they disappear from your S3 the next time it syncs with your email server. You might want to try changing some of these settings in your email client and see what happens.

Latest posts

Trending Posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
nilsgutkowski