Do you really think software updates will fix reception issues??

usmc176

Apr 28, 2010
Visit site
So I am in Bloomington MN walking through the Mall of America with my new SIII. Now mind you, I am not in any stores, just in open areas. Throughout the entire mall, I have little to NO reception. As I post this, I am sitting in my home in Bloomington with off and on 4G and at times no reception at all. This is by far the best phone I have had, minus the reception issue which is HUGE, so I hate to return it. But damn...........Any thoughts?

DianeR

Jun 7, 2012
Visit site
Re: Do you really think software updates will fix reception issue

I am getting receptions in a hotel and work (Chicago) that I was not getting with my Droid last week. I couldn't make calls last week from the hotel and had intermittent data access at work. This week with 4G I am fine in both locations. Loving my S3! :)

rpz3.14

Nov 16, 2010
Visit site

I'm wondering if some phones have faulty radios. I work in Fridley, and get speeds around1-2 mbps on 4g. At home in Minneapolis, where I used to get 15+ mbps downloads with my Thunderbolt (and where my wife gets similar speeds with her S3), I still only get 5 mbps, with occasional drops. If my wife wasn't having good results, I'd think it might be a software thing, but as it stands, I'm thinking its the phone itself.

PFD664

Jul 2, 2012
Visit site

I have had great signal strength and no call or data issues so far, I am about 2 hrs south of Atlanta and close to lower part of the 4G area. I also have compared one of my coworkers Moto Razr running ICS and we are within 1db of each other. Speedtest.net is showing me 19-25 Mbps down and 11-18 Mbps up on different days and times.

jphillips1963

Banned
Dec 16, 2011
Visit site
I've been following threads for a bit over the sIII and I just stopped in at my Verizon store where they had two on display I went into settings and checked the signal strength and here is what I'm showing then I did a screen shot of my Rezound signal strength and it goes to show the Samsung radios are just not up to par no matter what specs are and all them goodies if the radio isn't good what good is the phone except for bragging rights the secon pic should be of my Rezound signal.

sent from my HTC Rezound using Tapatalk 2

didiwags

Jun 28, 2010
Visit site
I live in rosemount, mn and though i have not been to the MOA yet with this phone i have had no issues at all. I drove through bloomington last weekend with no issues either. I actually pick up better reception in my local target that my rezound would lose connection in all the time. My rezound had no issues at the MOA so i assume my S3 would be even better. Sorry yojr having issues. Maybe i need to tell my SIL we need to go to the MOA to test it. Lol

Sent from my SCH-I535 using Android Central Forums

dpham00

Moderator Team VP
Apr 23, 2011
Visit site

I've been following threads for a bit over the sIII and I just stopped in at my Verizon store where they had two on display I went into settings and checked the signal strength and here is what I'm showing then I did a screen shot of my Rezound signal strength and it goes to show the Samsung radios are just not up to par no matter what specs are and all them goodies if the radio isn't good what good is the phone except for bragging rights the secon pic should be of my Rezound signal.

is your rez on ics? if not, then the readings are not comparable as your rez is reading cdma signal, not lte signal.

dpham00

Moderator Team VP
Apr 23, 2011
Visit site

Yes I'm on ICS

good, then use the Android Signal app on both phones in the same location and orientation. Then you can get an accurate comparison.

Having said that, the gs3 signal isn't as good as my Rez, but it is very close, and WAY better than my HTC Thunderbolt.

Last edited:

didiwags

Jun 28, 2010
Visit site
Having just come from the rezound, i honestly dont think you can compare phones by what they say their signal strength is. My rezound was always losing data, the network was always going out. I could never call from inside some stores. I have been able to get a better signal keep the network up and make calls from inside the same stores i couldnt before. Maybe ICS made it better on the rezound but with gingerbread it sucked.

Reactions: Jdroids

rexxman

Apr 28, 2011
Visit site
I was across from MOA last Friday, at TGIF, sitting deep in the bar and speedtest.net reported 32/20!

The first day I had the phone was disappointing reception wise. But something changed. Maybe it heard me talking about returning it.

Been fine ever since.

Cave1693

Feb 13, 2011
Visit site
I am facing the same decession. I love the phone but after comparing it to a htc thunderbold and mot razr have decided the samsung radios are just a notch below mot and htc. I hate to snd it back.

Sent from my SCH-I535 using Tapatalk 2

lbkiml

Jul 2, 2012
Visit site

My co-worker with the S3 on T-Mo gets full signal here, while I'm struggling to even get a single 4g/3g signal.

Maybe its something with Verizon and this phone?
Not a good feeling when T-Mo gets better signal than Verizon.

DianeR

Jun 7, 2012
Visit site

How do you check the signal strength in settings? i can't find it.

wowpaw

Feb 8, 2010
Visit site

How do you check the signal strength in settings? i can't find it.

Menu > Settings > About Phone (this is all the way at the bottom) .. after you get into that screen, there should be a -(#) dbm value

DreamSTi

Nov 18, 2009
Visit site

I too am in MN with no issues. In fact, I was up in Duluth this weekend with my gnex and my S3 and while camping at Spirit Mountain, my gnex would only get 3G and my S3 was pulling down 4G.

Maybe you have a bad device?

laurel25

Oct 7, 2010
Visit site

I'm in MN, too, but in the sticks (west of Brainerd) and I had to exchange my S3 for the Razr Maxx because of the poor reception. We don't get 4G where we're at and the S3 was awful (we live in a fringe area). In areas with good coverage, reception was fine though, but if I can't make a call or keep a data connection at my house then the phone is worthless to me.

dubge

Dec 21, 2009
Visit site

I am at 92 and my gnex was always at 102-115

What does the asu number mean? Mine is on 2 right now and I have seen it on 1 aso

didiwags

Jun 28, 2010
Visit site

I'm in MN, too, but in the sticks (west of Brainerd) and I had to exchange my S3 for the Razr Maxx because of the poor reception. We don't get 4G where we're at and the S3 was awful (we live in a fringe area). In areas with good coverage, reception was fine though, but if I can't make a call or keep a data connection at my house then the phone is worthless to me.

I drove up to Moorhead last weekend but stayed in Alexandria at my hubby's grandparents and had great reception all the way up. It did change to 3G sometimes but still was great! At the grandparents cabin in Alex which is off of lake ida which is kind of out there I had 4G. I was shocked lol

Trending Posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Lawiss