My visit to the ER with my Galaxy S III

droid83

Jun 2, 2010
Visit site
This morning I had a little situation where I woke up at 1a.m with terrible pain on my right side. Made a trip to the hospital which about 300 yards from my condo. Come to find out I had kidney stones. Never had those before & only thought old people get them. But the story had a lot to do with my S3 which never left my side. Eventho I had to strip naked and struggle putting on that cheap hospital robe while in burning pain, It was there. There were some people posting and commenting on how the S3 was too big. And that they had to use 2 hands to really handle the phone. While laying there in pain and an IV stuck in my right arm, I was able to take pics, text and facebook etc with my left hand. And i'm a righty. Then I was pushed down the isle by the nurses to the cat scan room. Keep in mind i'm still multi tasking with the S3. Even check this forum for a quick second. The nurses let me take pics of the cat scan room.

Sadly, the pic below was the first time I ever use the S3 to take pictures. Been to busy tricking the phone out and never even tested the camera and I had the phone since I got it on the 6th. The phone is not that big. 4.8" is perfect. I'm not big. I'm an average dude with average hands & kidney stones. If I can handle the phone given the position I was in, you can do it.

To quote Charlton Heston, "From my cold dead hands will I leave the S3 behind"

smooches680

Dec 27, 2010
Visit site
Hope you are better. When do we get to see pics of those stones? :)
Sorry to hear that you are in allot of pain, and kidney stones are no joke, get better soon. My prayers are with you. I have this phone and love it.

Sent from my white, sexy S3.

Reactions: droid83

jonathanm1978

Super-elite full-time dad
Jan 20, 2011
Visit site
From the looks of the photo, you maybe had a fingerprint on the lens of the camera? The way the whites on the bedsheet have a "shadow" effect, that's usually because of a smudge on the camera lens and it's trying to focus...and that's the best it can do.

I'd say even with a smudge on it, that's a decent pic.

I try to keep mine cleaned off because in really bright situations when you snap a phone pic and have a dirty lens, the thing really shows up something awful.

droid83

Jun 2, 2010
Visit site
Thanks all. I'm hanging in there. No work for the rest of the week for me. Hoping this goes away soon. Even scarier, i'm about to take my first percecet pill ever. I hear these things are crack cocaine. I just can't win this week.

On another note, I was shock to get all 5 bars inside the hospital. Don't know if it was the antennas on top of the building or what. But never seen an S3 with all bars active... shockin!!!!:eek: I only get 2 bars or 3G

jonathanm1978

Jan 20, 2011
Visit site
Thanks all. I'm hanging in there. No work for the rest of the week for me. Hoping this goes away soon. Even scarier, i'm about to take my first percecet pill ever. I hear these things are crack cocaine. I just can't win this week.

On another note, I was shock to get all 5 bars inside the hospital. Don't know if it was the antennas on top of the building or what. But never seen an S3 with all bars active... shockin!!!!:eek: I only get 2 bars or 3G

Take it from someone who's been down that road with pills..man it aint worth it to abuse them. BE VERY CAREFUL when you take those things. Only take what you need...and I would flush the rest (or dispose of them)...

I spent a couple of years in a bottomless pit of pills and bullsh**...nearly lost my family and kids...along with vehicles repo'd, bills went upaid...wife wanted to leave me and we had 10+ years of marriage...but I got it together at the last minute and salvaged what was left of my life. I found treatment, got into a Suboxone program and never looked back.
Now I'm a man on a mission when it comes to telling people about painkillers and the danger they present..people just don't know until it's too late..because once addiction set's in, you're in a downward spiral and there's very little likelihood you'll make it out without a major turn of events...

It took me contemplating suicide before I came to my senses..but if I hadn't found the Suboxone when I did..who knows what I would've done. That's a miracle drug that should have more uses..but not many people have ever heard of it, but I was ready to just "get out"...I was tired..tired of chasing pills, spending money, dealing with "dealers"...all for a pill.

Don't let the pill do you...and whenever you feel like you "want" to take one...ask yourself if you can handle NOT taking it. If it's pain that you would normally shrug off, then don't take a perc just to be taking it. Lots of people say that pills give them an "energy" boost..that euphoric feeling you get from taking them...that was the same thing I chased for over 4 years...and I was SO addicted when I finally stopped that it took a good bit of Suboxone to get me out of withdrawals. I went from 15+ lortab 10s a day to smelling of Oxycontin 80mg ..1 or 2 of those per day on binges...and I was NOT a nice person...I turned into a demon, possessed by that evil substance ....

If you need any advice, feel free to PM me..especially when it comes to dealing with pain without pills..or questions about how long the percs will last in your system (although everyone is different so times are hard to give)

droid83

Jun 2, 2010
Visit site
I feel for you jonathan. Don't worry. No way i'm taking all these percecets. They game prescription Motrin too. I'm hoping by Sunday I'll be all set with everything.

jonathanm1978

Jan 20, 2011
Visit site
I feel for you jonathan. Don't worry. No way i'm taking all these percecets. They game prescription Motrin too. I'm hoping by Sunday I'll be all set with everything.

Years ago, when I was caught up in that crap, I would never be contemplating what I am just like right now...whether I want to buy the Galaxy S3, or buy the Galaxy Nexus. Either way, I'm going today and buy ONE of them..not sure which one yet.

I would've been making a call to someone, spending the money on pills, and by Saturday I'd be out and looking to spend more money on more pills..talk about a dead-end road...

It's easy to look back and see...but while involved in it...you can't see how bad you really are..and the denial is the biggest cultivator.

didiwags

Jun 28, 2010
Visit site
Yikes that sucks, glad you had your phone to keep u company!

On a side note i am sitting at the orthodontist waiting for my daughter and have all 5 bars! :)

Sent from my SCH-I535 using Android Central Forums

goin_nil

Jul 1, 2010
Visit site
Take it from someone who's been down that road with pills..man it aint worth it to abuse them. BE VERY CAREFUL when you take those things. Only take what you need...and I would flush the rest (or dispose of them)...

Glad you made it through Jonathan and feel compelled to warn and help other people. You sound like a great person with a huge heart for people. Keep it up. :)

Reactions: jonathanm1978

djrakowski

Q&A Team
May 4, 2011
Visit site
droid83: I experienced my 3rd bout of kidney stones earlier this year, and I don't wish that level of pain on anyone. The first two passed on their own, but this last one required surgical intervention. I was basically out of commission for the entire month of February and into the first week of March.

My advice? Drink lots and lots and lots and lots of water. My doc recommended a minimum of 2 liters per day.

After surgery, I lived on vicodin for a week. Thankfully, I didn't become addicted to it.

By the way, I used to think they were an affliction of old age as well... but I had all three bouts before the age of 40 (which I reach this Saturday).

jonathanm1978: God bless you and give you strength, man. Thanks for sharing your experiences. Hopefully someone will be given strength by your words and seek help. My mom was addicted to all manner of pills, and doctor-shopped to get prescriptions to feed that addiction.

li2327

Nov 17, 2009
Visit site
Try not to drink alot of caffeine. Excessive caffeine creates kidney stones. I hope you feel better soon.

Sent from my Samsung Epic 4G Touch using Tapatalk 2

droid83

Jun 2, 2010
Visit site
Try not to drink alot of caffeine. Excessive caffeine creates kidney stones. I hope you feel better soon.

Sent from my Samsung Epic 4G Touch using Tapatalk 2

I drink an energy drink every morning. Been doing that for years. The pain started on Monday morning after the drink. Felt fine to go back to work wednesday. I never had a problem with the drinks. By 11am Monday it all went down hill for me at work. I was bent over the keyboard and in pain.

Last edited:

fotd

Apr 15, 2011
Visit site
Had my first one this year @ 32. Wouldn't wish them on anyone. Mine came from a major diet change and too much pop (I'm now a glutard (celiac)).

Keep up on the water and cut out the caffeine/energy drinks. Although I will warn you that I've reverted to my old pop ways and I'm just waiting for the ball to drop.

Sent from my SCH-I535 using Tapatalk 2

droid83

Jun 2, 2010
Visit site
Been laying on my bed since I left the hospital. I've Googling all day on what causes kidney stones. Most say its the what you eat. But I can think of another thing that I do that I will cut back on for awhile and that's Creatine. I lift weights 2 to 3 times a week at the gym at my job. I take 2 creatine pills 45 minutes before a workout. One of the things I read said food sometimes don't dissolved properly which would cause build up in the kidney. What if my creatine doesn't dissolved. The not so good ones takes times to dissolved. Maybe its that. Now ive been working out for over 10 years. When I get back i'm going natural. Probably forever natural. After this morning's event, I'm looking at things differently now. I never been to the ER for something like this.

Trending Posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
johndoe11