Like Tree1Likes
  • 1 Post By inm8num2
  1. Thread Author  Thread Author    #1  

Question Keep the GS3 or not? Help!

Hey all,

Like many others I preordered a GS3 before June 28 to secure unlimited data. I'm coming from a Droid Incredible 2 with 3G unlimited. My line wasn't eligible for an upgrade yet, but since I'm on a family plan I transferred an upgrade from my dad's dumb phone line.

With all the stuff going on about the locked bootloader and whatnot, it's made me question whether I should keep the GS3. I received it about 5 days ago and haven't opened or activated it. I'm considering:

a) Return the phone, get back the upgrade on my dad's line for later use
    b) Activate the phone, try it out, if I don't like it then sell it on ebay/craigslist
    c) Keep the phone

For option (a), my understanding is that in the future if I want to use my dad's upgrade, I would actually have to order the smart phone for his line by adding data to it, then activate the phone on my line and cancel my dad's data. This would be necessary to preserve unlimited data, right? The phone becomes "customer provided" for my line, and since my line didn't use an upgrade or renew its contract it doesn't affect my data package. One Verizon rep on the phone said that would not work, though. Hard to tell.

For (b), if I activate the phone then downgrade back to my D Inc 2, can I still keep unlimited? Does going from 3G --> 4G --> 3G matter? Some people are saying that Verizon is trying to push people to 4G and that "3G unlimited" might not be an option in the future.

For (c), well, there's no risk of losing unlimited there. But I'm stuck with a phone that potentially will get slow updates and lack the ability to use custom OS updates due to limited rooting capabilities. However, my understanding of how the encrypted bootloader will affect GS3 custom ROMs/updates is limited. Maybe it's been hacked enough that this won't matter?

Anyways, my main concern is whether I risk losing unlimited data if I return the phone and do a later "alternate upgrade", or if I activate/sell/downgrade to 3G phone (which I would later upgrade to 4G by purchasing full price or used).

Do you guys have any advice? Are there any known phones coming out later this year, besides the Razr HD (which will probably also be locked down heavily) that are worth waiting for? Or should I stick with the GS3 as the best possible phone currently available, for the next two years, and trust in the devs to crack it well enough and allow us to update without waiting for ? Droid Incredible 4G seems to not be as "future proof".

I have about 7 days to decide, but I should do so sooner to possibly test out the phone. I've tried it in the store and like the phone itself - no issues there. Just the choice between uncertainty about rooting/updates vs. uncertainty about preserving unlimited data. I suppose the data is more important and I shouldn't risk that, but I'd love to hear what you guys think. Thanks a lot for reading.
    MERCDROID likes this.

Global Posts
    35 Global Posts

Default Re: Keep the GS3 or not? Help!

How much data have you been using on average for a month? That should help answer your question. If it's 2GB or less you will save money with a new plan + get the phone of the year. If it's 4GB or less you'll probably spend the same, no worries.
  3. Thread Author  Thread Author    #3  

I use plenty of data. I'm on a family plan as explained above and going to the shared ones isn't an option.

My main question is about the GS3 itself, and whether its worth it to keep that phone or wait for something better but risk losing unlimited since you never know with Verizon.

Is what I explained above in terms of upgrade options accurate? Will the alternate upgrade method described work for securing unlimited data in the future?
    Last edited by inm8num2; 07-19-2012 at 05:38 PM.

ROM
    Stock

There is no "3g Unlimited" AFAIK, just "Unlimited Data". 3g vs 4g does not factor into the equation.

Global Posts
    450 Global Posts
    ROM
    Stock

I say keep the GS3. It's the best phone out right now, and if you always "wait for something better," then you'll never be satisfied. As far as going from 3G to 4G to 3G, somewhere in that switch you're going to run into problems, whether you're grandfathered into unlimited data or not. Because Verizon is really pushing 4G phones, switching Unlimited back to a 3G line will be really difficult in the future. The CSRs may give you a hard time, or the system may not allow it to take place. Either way, I would keep it. Phones have had locked bootloaders in the past, and that never prevented anyone from obtaining root access, creating roms, and other various hacks. That's just my 2 cents. Good luck with whatever road you take buddy
    Thanked by:
  6. Thread Author  Thread Author    #6  

Thanks, Metrodroid. That's the kind of advice I was sort of hoping for. It makes sense.

While 3G/4G shouldn't matter, in Verizon's system they do have specific items that say "3G unlimited" or "4G unlimited", and it's probably best to secure 4G unlimited now rather than take a risk in the future.

Judging from what people have said at XDA, the development looks promising as well.

Global Posts
    4,343 Global Posts
    ROM
    Stock

Soon, all carriers will phase out unlimited data all together. Keep the S3 and enjoy it. It's an awesome device.

Global Posts
    241 Global Posts
    ROM
    Stock w/ Root

The S3 is awesome. My battery life is fabulous (compared to all the other devices I have had) and it just works great. Keep the phone, activate it and if you don't like it, sell it on craigslists.
  9. Thread Author  Thread Author    #9  

Quote Originally Posted by Lakers View Post
    The S3 is awesome. My battery life is fabulous (compared to all the other devices I have had) and it just works great. Keep the phone, activate it and if you don't like it, sell it on craigslists.
    The only issue there is that if I sell it, I have to reactivate my DInc2. Most signs point to unlimited data still being secure in going from 3G > 4G > 3G, but you never know with Verizon.