| || |
Keep the GS3 or not? Help!
Like many others I preordered a GS3 before June 28 to secure unlimited data. I'm coming from a Droid Incredible 2 with 3G unlimited. My line wasn't eligible for an upgrade yet, but since I'm on a family plan I transferred an upgrade from my dad's dumb phone line.
With all the stuff going on about the locked bootloader and whatnot, it's made me question whether I should keep the GS3. I received it about 5 days ago and haven't opened or activated it. I'm considering:
a) Return the phone, get back the upgrade on my dad's line for later use
b) Activate the phone, try it out, if I don't like it then sell it on ebay/craigslist
c) Keep the phone
For option (a), my understanding is that in the future if I want to use my dad's upgrade, I would actually have to order the smart phone for his line by adding data to it, then activate the phone on my line and cancel my dad's data. This would be necessary to preserve unlimited data, right? The phone becomes "customer provided" for my line, and since my line didn't use an upgrade or renew its contract it doesn't affect my data package. One Verizon rep on the phone said that would not work, though. Hard to tell.
For (b), if I activate the phone then downgrade back to my D Inc 2, can I still keep unlimited? Does going from 3G --> 4G --> 3G matter? Some people are saying that Verizon is trying to push people to 4G and that "3G unlimited" might not be an option in the future.
For (c), well, there's no risk of losing unlimited there. But I'm stuck with a phone that potentially will get slow updates and lack the ability to use custom OS updates due to limited rooting capabilities. However, my understanding of how the encrypted bootloader will affect GS3 custom ROMs/updates is limited. Maybe it's been hacked enough that this won't matter?
Anyways, my main concern is whether I risk losing unlimited data if I return the phone and do a later "alternate upgrade", or if I activate/sell/downgrade to 3G phone (which I would later upgrade to 4G by purchasing full price or used).
Do you guys have any advice? Are there any known phones coming out later this year, besides the Razr HD (which will probably also be locked down heavily) that are worth waiting for? Or should I stick with the GS3 as the best possible phone currently available, for the next two years, and trust in the devs to crack it well enough and allow us to update without waiting for ? Droid Incredible 4G seems to not be as "future proof".
I have about 7 days to decide, but I should do so sooner to possibly test out the phone. I've tried it in the store and like the phone itself - no issues there. Just the choice between uncertainty about rooting/updates vs. uncertainty about preserving unlimited data. I suppose the data is more important and I shouldn't risk that, but I'd love to hear what you guys think. Thanks a lot for reading.