Like Tree1Likes
  • 1 Post By Lanhoj
  1. Thread Author  Thread Author    #1  

Global Posts
    142 Global Posts

Default Keyboard punctuation frustration

Is there anyone else frustrated with the lack of punctuation on the stock SGIII keyboard? How are you getting around the missing of a , and ? ?

Is there a non stock keyboard that provides those on the same view along with the typical qwerty?
    Last edited by 360jeff; 07-24-2012 at 03:21 PM. Reason: misspelled
    Pretty good member

Default Re: Keyboard punctuation frustration

Yeah, I didn't like that at all. I quickly downloaded SwiftKey, which has legendary text prediction using artificial intelligence. Much better keyboard than stock. Unfortunately, it had a few bugs on the S3, which may have already been addressed or will soon be addressed. SwiftKey is also amazing for its support of multiple languages if that's important to you.
    Thanked by:
    BEACH BUM

Global Posts
    1,947 Global Posts
    ROM
    Stock : Rooted, Unlocked

The comma and question mark are there. They are accessed by selecting the "123 SYM" key in the lower left. I did not like having to go to a secondary view on the stock keyboard so I downloaded Swype, much better!

Global Posts
    96 Global Posts

The other option is to hold down the period (also other characters).
    A list will show up that you can select.
    Thanked by:
  5. Thread Author  Thread Author    #5  

Global Posts
    142 Global Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Ricky Babalu View Post
    The comma and question mark are there. They are accessed by selecting the "123 SYM" key in the lower left. I did not like having to go to a secondary view on the stock keyboard so I downloaded Swype, much better!
    I understand that they are there and that you need to access the 123 SYM key, that is my complaint of the keyboard, how can one type quickly by having to access that 123 SYM key all the time.
  6. Thread Author  Thread Author    #6  

Global Posts
    142 Global Posts

Quote Originally Posted by jac-3 View Post
    This is a nice option, thank you. I get good typing speeds and correctness with the stock keyboard, I just didn't like not having the punctuation on the main screen.

Quote Originally Posted by 360jeff View Post
    Is there anyone else frustrated with the lack of punctuation on the stock SGIII keyboard? How are you getting around the missing of a , and ? ?

Is there a non stock keyboard that provides those on the same view along with the typical qwerty?
    same here, hated that thing, if you like to swype, download swype beta, so much better and everything on one screen, it's great...

I'd recommend SwiftKey X
    Thanked by:
    Averix likes this.

Global Posts
    4,343 Global Posts
    ROM
    Stock

OP, try out SwiftKey 3. It's a paid app, but you can try it for free for a few days.

ROM
    Stock

I also downloaded the Swype Beta app from their website, works great!

Sent from my SCH-I535 using Android Central Forums

Quote Originally Posted by 360jeff View Post
    on the same view along with the typical qwerty?
    Are you asking for something like this?.... (5th row can be numbers, punctuation or cursor navigation)

When you hit the space bar those punctuations pop up. I do agree this is the most annoying keyboard I've ever used.

SwiftKey or Jelly Bean keyboard (stock Android AOSP keyboard out of Jelly Bean).

I installed Swiftkey immediately after starting to use my S3. I had Swiftkey on my Droid X and couldn't believe how it could predict what I wanted to say before I even knew what I wanted to say... Needless to say it now lives permanently on my S3.

I tried a bunch of keyboards including swiftkey but was never happy! Ended up downloading a regular ICS keyboard and it is great! (the one I have has an android shaped ICS on it)
    X to Rezound to Galaxy S3

Global Posts
    93 Global Posts

Quote Originally Posted by jac-3 View Post
    holding down the period key works great....thanks for pointing that out!

hey ya'll my @ ' ! ? . symbols are missing frm my predictive text area..the main screen....sooo frustrated trying to get it back...i hate pressing the 123sym button ech time when i need to use the 5 main punctuation marks...pls help me...i just purchased it tody...it was fine and den after tht i dunno wht happened it jz went missing and now it has predictive texts....

Yes,ChapStick Assassin - I would LOVE to have a keyboard like this. Which one is it?