In Store or Over the Phone??

Jul 16, 2012
Visit site
Had the Galaxy S3 for about 5 days now. Great phone. However, i'm wondering if i should get a replacement device. My wifi will not hold a connection at home. after a couple minutes, it cycles back and forth to 4G. Here at my desk, my 4G services goes in and out. Yes i sit in a building, but my thunderbolt never had much issues.
Sometimes the screen takes a couple presses to register input on a web page link etc.

Question is, should i take the phone to a Verizon store and ask for a replacement or call over the phone and ask for a new replacement? Which avenue has the most chance of having updated Galaxy S3's with better build quality or are they all the same?

Also, i';ve been hearing of everyones good battery life here. However, i am puzzled. Is this the norm...On my way to work this morning, 25 minute commute, i listened to the music player, surfed the web and had the screen on most of the time. My battery went from 100 to 90. Screen brightness 1/4 of the way up, no facebook syncing, S Voice disabled most things disabled etc. Is this normal battery life?

Please help

Thanks

ibcop

Trusted Member
Mar 9, 2011
Visit site
I'd recommend you delete the Wi-Fi connections and re-establish it. Maybe that will sort out the connection issues. Can it hold a connection with another Wi-Fi spot?

As far as 4G, are you in a strong signal area? Many factors are in that assumption, and depending on how the building you're in was constructed (metal, concrete, basement, etc) will play into that.

Multiple presses on the screen - I don't know about this.

As far as going into the store or the phone - that will depend on how your originally ordered. If you did it via phone or web, then you'll have to call to set up an exchange. I have seen where people have been able to exchange an online order in the store after having technical support. Obviously if you made the purchase in store, simply take it back. Most stores only have the 16gb version in stock - they claim the 32gb's are hard to come by.

I don't think that was a bad battery drop considering what you were doing and signal strength could factor into it as well. If you aren't in a good 4g signal area, simply switch to 3g. Search AC and you'll find the thread.

If all else fails, do a hard reset and see if that will fix the issues. Always worth a try before you try the exchange.

InkedAdrenaline

Jul 11, 2012
Visit site
Not sure about the wifi, but the battery life seems a little off. I've been on my phone all morning since 730am and I'm at 94% right now 3hrs later

Tapatalk'd from my Galaxy S3

chris.then

Apr 28, 2010
Visit site
I had the same issues with dropped wifi and 4g. Mine was preordered via phone. My nearby store exchanged it for a new one in less than 15 min. Replacement s3 is holding WiFi and 4g much better now. It had a "updated" sticker on the front.. Haven't been able to find an official change log for the update, just speculation. not sure if the update is what helped.

EvilMonkey

Jun 4, 2010
Visit site
I don't think that's bad battery life, but you should first understand how battery "stats" work. Your phone probably wasn't at 100% to begin with. The stat lies to you (on all smartphones, not just Android phones).

Basically, modern phones will charge to 100% and then, since it's really bad for the battery to keep it there, it'll just cut off the power from the wall and then drain back down for awhile (to as low as 90%), then charge it up again in short bursts.

While this prolongs the life of the battery itself (and allays any concerns about leaving the phone plugged in overnight...it's not going to hurt the battery), it presents an interesting dilemma for the stats. If the phone reported the "real" charge, people would complain their phone charges to 100% then drops off despite being plugged in. So they've opted to report 100% while plugged in (and charged), then have it quickly display the "real" stat after being unplugged. This is why a lot of people notice a sharp drop off in the percentage after being removed from the charger. I've seen mine drop as low as 94% within a few minutes of being unplugged...even if the screen's off. Of course, I don't always pay attention to it since I just know that's how it works.

Here's a much better writeup than I can explain: http://phandroid.com/2010/12/25/you...is-lying-to-you-and-its-not-such-a-bad-thing/

I much better gauge for you (rather than seeing it "dropped from 100% to 90%") would be to take it off the charger, give it 10 minutes, then see what the battery says. Maybe you only really dropped from 95% to 90, for example.

Last edited:

pstellato73

Oct 1, 2010
Visit site
I don't have this problem with mine, but my wife did. I turned off the power save and it's working fine now. Mine is still turned on, but I don't have the switching back and forth like she did. Both have the white 16gb version. I'm thinking of turning it back on and deleting and re-adding the connection to see if that fixes it.

Sent from my SCH-I535 using Android Central Forums

twindragons187

Jul 16, 2010
Visit site
Another thing is maybe doing a factory reset. It's kind of a pain but seems to work more often then not.

Sent from my SCH-I535 using Tapatalk 2

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
kerokekerol