Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast
Like Tree4Likes

Default Re: Galaxy S3 signal issue and Verizon support

Made an account just to say I'm also having these issues mainly with 3G. Just got phone last night and get 0.97 MB down and .40 MB up. Now according to the support I talked to they said its normal.

Yea right, and once again they show how worthless they are. Tried to explain to them my last phone, the one I still had yesterday got 2 - 4 MB down and 1 - 2 MB up. I live in a 3G area, -75 in phone settings all the time. When I do pick up 4G (A block away from my house...) I get 15 - 20 MB down and up.

Quote Originally Posted by Elite49 View Post
    Made an account just to say I'm also having these issues mainly with 3G. Just got phone last night and get 0.97 MB down and .40 MB up. Now according to the support I talked to they said its normal.

Yea right, and once again they show how worthless they are. Tried to explain to them my last phone, the one I still had yesterday got 2 - 4 MB down and 1 - 2 MB up. I live in a 3G area, -75 in phone settings all the time. When I do pick up 4G (A block away from my house...) I get 15 - 20 MB down and up.
    .97 and .4 are normal speeds for Verizon 3g. There are a ton of different factors that go into those speeds, especially with a 3g network. Verizon's network can handle bursts of up to 3.1 down, but that's as fast as it can go and your average speeds will be less than half that.
    Sent from my Galaxy Nexus using Tapatalk 2

Quote Originally Posted by JHBThree View Post
    .97 and .4 are normal speeds for Verizon 3g. There are a ton of different factors that go into those speeds, especially with a 3g network. Verizon's network can handle bursts of up to 3.1 down, but that's as fast as it can go and your average speeds will be less than half that.
    Not normal for me when my past two phones got constant speeds of what I stated, all the time where I live.

Quote Originally Posted by Elite49 View Post
    Not normal for me when my past two phones got constant speeds of what I stated, all the time where I live.
    You stated 2-4 when Verizon's 3g network can't even go faster than 3.1.

Also, you can't really compare two different phones with completely different radios.

I had this problem with the galaxy nexus (all 7 of them) but this s3 has been stellar. I would have to say ita simply a defective unit.

Sent from my SCH-I535 using Android Central Forums

i talked to verizon rep they said a software patch was coming sometime in october. just saying what she told me

Anyone picking up a pattern here?

Samsung Droid Charge released May 2011. Terrible 4G reception and signal quality. Patch to fix it coming in July, Aug, Sept, Oct, Nov, finally came in December. Took over 6 months. In my case it did really help signal, but I paid my bill in full for 6 months for partially working phone.

Samsung Galaxy Nexus released Dec 2011. Terrible 4G reception and signal quality (I bought the phone, couldn't get any data signal at my house where even the Charge was getting 4G, returned it). Verizon says update coming soon....didn't come until June 2012.

Samsung Galaxy S3 released July 2012. Many reporting signal issues. I bought the phone. Some 4G at my house, but mostly 3G where the Charge (after the update) got 4G. Love the phone, I can WiFi at the house and luckily have a tower outside my window at work, so great 4G. Verizon promising updates. This time they don't even say they are coming for another 3 months. Does anyone believe the SIII will see an update before December?

Samsung and Verizon are absolutely huge corporations. After the 2nd release wouldn't you at least send out a couple of people with the phones and see if they get as good of reception as the prior phones you released and had to update, and if not, update them before released. Why do we always have to pay full price and wait 6 months for the device to work properly? Doesn't matter I guess, instead of corporations and consumers it might as well be Lords and Serfs.
    Last edited by Davidoo1; 07-28-2012 at 09:14 PM. Reason: Corrected spelling
    equalizer88 likes this.

verizon will warranty the phone for signal issues. It could just be a defective phone. After a few, verizon may let you switch to another phone like the maxx, assuming that the battery life is your main concern, which is supposed to have the best radio .

There are not that many reporting signal issues, compared to when the gnex first came out,at least from what I can tell.

I had a Charge and loved it. The last update that came out in June, ruined things for me. I even was sent out a replacement phone that was just as bad. Upgraded to the Nexus. This was even worse. After switching out sim cards, reactivating, and ultimately getting a new nexus, nothing changed. Returned the nexus, as I was still in the 14 day window, and got the S3. Signal is better than the Nexus, but still not where it should be. I have had atleast two incidents where I am on a call and we can't hear each other. The call doesn't disconnect, just can't hear each other until I move to a different spot, or one of us hangs up and tries the call again. Verizon has me now dialing *111 immediately after the call disconnects to track things for their techs. Mind you I live 3.17 miles from a tower and should not be having any issues with signal strength. I don't pay any attention to the bars, but to the db readings.
    sent from my awesome Galaxy S3

Just purchased the S3 today and signal is terrible. Love the phone otherwise. Pretty sad that I can't get better then one bar in the house or garage with the door open. Have to go out the street to make a call.

Global Posts
    55 Global Posts
    ROM
    Rooted Stock

My 4G signal has been consistently good with the SIII, as has the handoff between 3G and 4G. But, then again, I never had any of the signal problems with my G Nexus that so many people complained about. I guess I just got lucky.

Ive had good service since i owned the phone but tonight i can only get one bar or none. It justs started happening around 3am so im hoping its justr verizon doing maintenance on the service. but i do live in oahu and everything here is spotty.

Quote Originally Posted by miata492 View Post
    They offered to send me a replacement today but they don't have any to send as they are out of stock.
    Of course they have replacement phones. You are just a lower priority than a new customer or an existing customer upgrade.

I don't know what is going on today, but my signal strength is worse than ever. In a strong 4g area, the best I have been getting is -105. It hasn't been great other times, but even then I was seeing anywhere from -90 to -100.

Either you are not in a strong signal area, or there is something wrong with your phone. I have seen signal strength in the 50s in strong signal area. .

Quote Originally Posted by radar320 View Post
    I don't know what is going on today, but my signal strength is worse than ever. In a strong 4g area, the best I have been getting is -105. It hasn't been great other times, but even then I was seeing anywhere from -90 to -100.

Registered just to tell you guys I have Galaxy S3 and it loses signal (both data and voice) when switching from 4g to edge in low signal areas. Tried factory reset, custom ROM, CM, original ROM, multiple modems, changed SIM card, changed data plan and what not.

Turns out the phone was defective !!! I never thought it would be a hardware issue but yes it was. Just returned the phone and got a replacement and couldn't be happier. It works flawless. Ofcourse there is an issue with low wifi strength and not so strong 4g reception but that will be addressed in a software update.

So if any of you are having issue where the phone completely loses signal when transitioning from 4g to edge, its a hardware issue and you should exchange it!

Enjoy

ROM
    CM7 Nightly20120226

My wife and I are both having 4G/3G/1X issues with our almost twin S3s...and I was having a battery issue. They have suggested we go to the local store and trade out sim cards. She is having SIGNIFICANT dropped call issues, and they said to her that since we were at home and on the Wi-Fi that was calusing the problem. We are about to as for new phones since her Facinate and my DInc never had issues like this at home

Quote Originally Posted by fyrfytr24 View Post
    My wife and I are both having 4G/3G/1X issues with our almost twin S3s...and I was having a battery issue. They have suggested we go to the local store and trade out sim cards. She is having SIGNIFICANT dropped call issues, and they said to her that since we were at home and on the Wi-Fi that was calusing the problem. We are about to as for new phones since her Facinate and my DInc never had issues like this at home
    Me and my girlfriend are having the same exact issues and coming from the same phones. I had a dinc and she had a fascinate. I called Verizon yesterday and they agreed the we have had an extremely large amount of dropped calls since we got our new phones. They said they would look into the issue and call me back within 72 hours. Another issue I have is that I will have 3 or 4 bars of service and try to make a call, the phone will say that I don't have service even though I have 3 or 4 bars. Extremely aggravated about this but not a deal breaker for getting rid of the phone. Just need to be able to make phone calls.

I have the same issue as the OP, with basically crap signal, so I talked to Verizon they said they wouldnt give me a new phone because a software to fix was coming by October. anyways in my search for something to help I came upon this
    and it seems to work fairly well, I think it just does what *228 would do on a 3g phone.

I just got off the phone with Verizon and Samsung and I've decided to send my GS3 to Samsung for a few issues. Weak signal for calling, imperfections in the screen and a battery that takes about 3 hours to charge. I'd rather have Samsung fix the phone and just use my Razr maxx for a week and a half then deal with another unit from Verizon which might have similar issues.
    Hello Galaxy
    Thanked by:

Mine is fine

Sent from my GS3....

Use an app called phone info to manually turn 4g off.... Works great!!!

Sent from my GS3....

On the app Go into device Info then
    Sent from my GS3....
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Galaxy S3 signal issue and Verizon support-uploadfromtaptalk1344382465571.jpg   Galaxy S3 signal issue and Verizon support-uploadfromtaptalk1344382476370.jpg  

I joined just to add to this thread. I've had my S3 for 2 weeks now. I came from a droid X to S3 and rarely dropped calls with my droid. Now with S3, I'm dropping calls rather frequently in areas I never had trouble before. I don't think I'll have the patience with the S3 since I buy my phone first as a phone then other features. I was very hopeful this would be a nice phone but it appears to me Samsung packed it with features then forgot it was a phone.
    H2o

I can honestly say that I haven't dropped a call yet.

Sent from my SCH-I535 using Tapatalk 2
Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast