Do you still want to root or is the SIII that good?

Tarpit_Carnivore

Jul 4, 2010
Visit site
I'm currently on a Incredible 2 and have been mostly happy with the phone but I'm beginning to feel like this is the Eris situation all over. So I started really looking into the SIII and something I'm noticing is a lot of people who previously were all about rooting their phones are choosing to run stock because they're finding the SIII to be extremely well done. The most I've seen people do is root to get rid of bloat and the wifi notification annoyance.

So my question to you wonderful folks is, do you find the SIII to be that good that you're not too concerned with rooting your phone right now? Would just simply loading Nova or Apex really make the Touchwiz experience that less in your face (obviously the color/design tweaks will remain).

GrooveRite

Sep 30, 2010
Visit site
This phone runs unbelievably well for me so I'm choosing not to root....yet! There are TOO MANY things that are just working well as opposed to having one thing work rooted (tethering) and have many other things not work well. I will most likely root this phone towards the end of its life to prolong its use till my next upgrade!

Tarpit_Carnivore

Jul 4, 2010
Visit site
This phone runs unbelievably well for me so I'm choosing not to root....yet! There are TOO MANY things that are just working well as opposed to having one thing work rooted (tethering) and have many other things not work well. I will most likely root this phone towards the end of its life to prolong its use till my next upgrade!

Oh man that's good to know! I'm guessing there is no tethering option available on the phone? I was considering switching to the share plans to get this as a buit in function (plus to save a couple bucks). I'd find it odd if it wasn't a built in feature.

steveh552

Trusted Member
Mar 6, 2010
Visit site
Iv not rooted and I am happy with mine.

My rooting experience is limited though, so that maybe part of why I am happy.

DreamSTi

Nov 18, 2009
Visit site
After I saw the one clock root tool released, I had no choice! Delete all the bloat and install adfree is well worth it for me! The phone runs even faster now, if you can believe that!

fillossofer

Apr 20, 2010
Visit site
You can tether free on SG3 using FoxFi app.

I'm happy with the stock GS3 but would like to install a Jelly Bean ROM. If Verizon doesn't release an unlock tool I'll likely sell mine on eBay and buy the developer version.

Reactions: johnjuan

Tarpit_Carnivore

Jul 4, 2010
Visit site

I'm happy with the stock GS3 but would like to install a Jelly Bean ROM. If Verizon doesn't release an unlock tool I'll likely sell mine on eBay and buy the developer version.

My hope with all the phones being the same is there is faster updates comparative to other devices ie my Inc2 still doesn't have any sort of ETA other than "August".

EvilMonkey

Jun 4, 2010
Visit site
The only reason I really rooted was because I use Nova launcher and I wanted the widget previews in the drawer, which you have to be rooted for.

Well the additional capabilities of Cerberus and AdBlocker played a part as well, I suppose.

piratelax91

Jun 26, 2012
Visit site
Rooting is just granting yourself superuser permissions on your phone.....so I'd imagine a really nice phone hardware wise would be a great candidate as it would unlock its full potential
I think of it this way I know if I had a Ferrari or another nice car..I'd get the governor removed so I could hit top speed

ansextra

Apr 16, 2011
Visit site
I rooted my Droid X because it started giving me problems. So far I see no need to root my S3. It does everything I want and does it well.

dpham00

Moderator Team VP
Apr 23, 2011
Visit site

You can tether for free using the stock app as well, though you may have to activate it with a third party widget like power widget or elixir.

Sentrix

Mar 9, 2011
Visit site
Not rooting yet. I disabled all the bloatware so that's not an issue.
So far I've been Impressed with this new TouchWiz also.

markespo55

Oct 15, 2010
Visit site
i dont think im going to root anytime soon either! its so smooth and it makes me feel sexy!! i love my s3 though! my third one that is! only problem is mine cant hold a charge to save its life. i post in another thread about my massive issue im having. still trying to figure this thing out. if i cant then im on to the 4th!!

Suntan

Mar 16, 2011
Visit site
I ahve a desire to root, but it is not pressing.

Things I'd like root for:
-Ad Free Android
-Wireless sixaxis
-Getting rid of wifi nags, share/with selections, etc.

Really though, the phone works well. Probably won't even head over to XDA until at least JB is released. Then I'll see what the state of the rooting is and decide if I want to.

-Suntan

Tarpit_Carnivore

Jul 4, 2010
Visit site
Not rooting yet. I disabled all the bloatware so that's not an issue.
So far I've been Impressed with this new TouchWiz also.
Does the SIII allow you to remove it?

Appreciate all the feedback from everyone. Definitely help settle any concerns I was having with regards to the phone if I should make a push with VZW for it.

jnnyr

Jul 16, 2010
Visit site
I'm currently on a Incredible 2 and have been mostly happy with the phone but I'm beginning to feel like this is the Eris situation all over. So I started really looking into the SIII and something I'm noticing is a lot of people who previously were all about rooting their phones are choosing to run stock because they're finding the SIII to be extremely well done. The most I've seen people do is root to get rid of bloat and the wifi notification annoyance.

So my question to you wonderful folks is, do you find the SIII to be that good that you're not too concerned with rooting your phone right now? Would just simply loading Nova or Apex really make the Touchwiz experience that less in your face (obviously the color/design tweaks will remain).

Agree. It's only my second Android phone (Droid X) so I can't say I have a wealth of varied phones to experience. The main reason I rooted my Droid was for the wifi hotspot. That being said I locked the phone down with Froyo and never went beyond. The initial release of GB gave teh phone issues with respect to wifi so I went back and stayed there.
Anyway, havine ICS allows me to run PDAnet so I have no need to root at all and have been very happy after week 1 with the new phone. It froze only once neccessitating a battery pull otherwise a few small issues but they are very minor. I doubt I'll ever root at this point.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
wei34