A letter to Verizon Customer Support requesting unlock tool

fillossofer

Apr 20, 2010
Visit site
Feel free to copy/paste this into a letter or email. I sent mine via USPS today.

Verizon Wireless
Customer Service Department
777 Big Timber Road
Elgin, IL 60123

July 26, 2012

Dear Customer Service,

I am writing to express my dissatisfaction with the locked and encrypted bootloader on my new Galaxy S3. Since I pre-ordered the device, I had no knowledge of the availability of a developer version so now I seem to be stuck with an unlockable device.

I want to be able to unlock my device and install custom software.

While the Galaxy S3 is a great device right out of the box, I enjoy customizing my phones in ways that require an unlocked bootloader. There has been finger pointing between Verizon Wireless and Samsung on who decided to encrypt the bootloader, leading to the announcement that a developer edition will be made available. Because Verizon Wireless is allowing unlocked Galaxy S3 devices on its network, I feel the option to unlock the device should be made available to customers who pre-ordered the phone and are in possession of the locked and encrypted version.

Clearly there are technical ways this could be accomplished and Verizon Wireless would save face with a segment of its user base that is disgruntled by the inability to unlock the device.

As an aside, if Verizon Wireless was a leader in delivering timely software updates to devices, there would be far less appeal in installing custom software. Because Verizon Wireless has historically been slow in pushing software updates, a community has grown up to support people who want to run the latest software on their devices. Maybe Verizon Wireless should consider hiring some of these developers to help get updates out faster.

Please add my name to the list of people requesting an unlock tool for the Samsung Galaxy S3.

Best Regards,

Suntan

Mar 16, 2011
Visit site
They've already given you the option of the Samsung warrantied "Developer Phone" which I was amazed to see them do. Don't expect to get anywhere asking for an unlocker tool.

Not trying to be a dink, but you just wasted 45 cents.

-Suntan

Reactions: fillossofer

snookiesnoo

Apr 28, 2010
Visit site
They've already given you the option of the Samsung warrantied "Developer Phone" which I was amazed to see them do. Don't expect to get anywhere asking for an unlocker tool.

-Suntan

Haven't seen it for sale yet and Samsung is doing this not Verizon.

PJnc284

Nov 6, 2009
Visit site

-Suntan

It's only warrantied for 30 days or until custom firmware is loaded. Verizon could have just as easily had a similar policy if an unlock tool was used.

Paul627g

AC Moderator All-Star
Nov 25, 2010
Visit site
Well written letter.. I hope they are at least decent enough to provide you with a letter/response in return for the work that went into that.

mikesmith

Jul 15, 2010
Visit site
They don't care. They already have your money.

You are also asking them to cater to the minority of S3 users and/or people looking to purchase a S3.

Sent from my SCH-I535 using Android Central Forums

Last edited:

Suntan

Mar 16, 2011
Visit site
It's only warrantied for 30 days or until custom firmware is loaded. Verizon could have just as easily had a similar policy if an unlock tool was used.

They could have... but they didn't.

I'm not saying I'm against the actions of the OP. I'm just saying that it is wasted effort.

-Suntan

fillossofer

Apr 20, 2010
Visit site
They could have... but they didn't.

I'm not saying I'm against the actions of the OP. I'm just saying that it is wasted effort.

-Suntan

In my experience, written letters always get a quality response, whereas calls or emails really depend on who ends up on the other end. I realize this is like pissing into the wind, but it took me all of five minutes and $0.45.

aaCharley

Sep 9, 2011
Visit site

-Suntan

There is an announcement by Samsung that the Developer Edition will be "Available Soon."

I called Samsung to find out if I can buy it.. Rep could not find out when it would be available. Is Verizon holding up the release? No way to find that info.

So, nothing has been released to unlock that phone on the Verizon network. And nothing has been released from Samsung, nor do they provide a possible release date. Pound sand if you were willing to pre-order the disabled model from Verizon. Did Verizon charge an Upgrade Fee for a Downgraded phone? Sure they did.

Suntan

Mar 16, 2011
Visit site
In my experience, written letters always get a quality response, whereas calls or emails really depend on who ends up on the other end. I realize this is like pissing into the wind, but it took me all of five minutes and $0.45.

You're partially right.

I'm an engineer in charge of product support for a couple of model lines at my company. I can tell you that a written letter (that actually makes it to one of the guys in one of the nice offices) can make a difference.

But - only when it is a topic that people inside the company are tentatively in favor of.

When it is a topic that the company views as detrimental or abusive to the product, it is just used as the butt of jokes around the printer.

Sorry, that's the truth.

-Suntan

anon(19758)

Apr 30, 2010
Visit site
"I understand that everyone wants to customize their device in which the device is locked from doing so."

"...but there will be nothing we can do..."

Sounds to me like it was written by someone whose first language was not English, or was run through a translator. OP might get a more accurate (but still probably unfavorable) response by writing directly to the CEO's office:

Note: Mead is an EVP of Verizon Communications, and CEO/President of Verizon Wireless

Daniel S. Mead
140 West St
New York, NY 10007
(212)-395-1000

PS: I despise any written response that doesn't include a full name. "Carl" screams "bullpucky" to me,

Last edited:

aaCharley

Sep 9, 2011
Visit site
Sending a letter to Daniel Mead may have some effect on the matter.

A better route for complaint is with the FCC. Verizon cannot trash that complaint.

There is another thread on the "complaint" topic with links to the FCC website and filing the complaint is pretty easy to do. If you follow that course, make note that Verizon has crippled the phone to not allow users access to services such as Google Wallet. Verizon has charged an Upgrade Fee for a Downgraded phone. Restricting the applications violates the agreement with the FCC that allowed Verizon Wireless to acquire additional bandwidth. I requested that Verizon be ordered to replace all of the disabled phones sold without notice that they were crippled.

anon(19758)

Apr 30, 2010
Visit site
Unfortunately the FCC already investigated Verizon on whole "blocking tethering apps" thing. They gave them a slap on the hand and said they couldn't block the apps, UNLESS you're still on unlimited. If you're not on unlimited, tethering's included anyway so.... yeah. Doesn't do a lot of us much good.

sfobrien

Dec 10, 2010
Visit site
Haven't seen it for sale yet and Samsung is doing this not Verizon.

Don't expect to see it anytime soon or at all if you are a Verizon customer. They will probably not allow it on their network unless they can lock it down and/or get a higher percentage of the money from Samsung's price on each device for allowing it on their network.

If they don't lock it they could possibly face liability issues since they have already stated its a "network security" for the version they sell. How would they explain it to the FCC,BBB, etc. if questioned as to why allow one version of the device locked and one unlocked ?

And to the OP, great letter. Sorry for getting of topic a little.

Trending Posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
sandersc