Welcome to the Android Central Forums Create Your Account or Ask a Question Answers in 5 minutes - no registration required!
  1. Thread Author  Thread Author    #1  

Default Wifi Tethering Problems on VZW S3

Hello all, I have a Verizon Samsung Galaxy S3, rooted, running stock vanilla ICS. I have tried to use Foxfi and good ol Wireless Tether for Root Users with no luck. I think there is an issue with running ad hoc vs. infrastructure mode, I get an error in the log every time with wireless tether that says "unable to start ad hoc mode".

Has ANYONE been able to successfully turn their rooted VZW S3 into a wifi hotspot??

Default Re: Wifi Tethering Problems on VZW S3

Quote Originally Posted by bejackso View Post
    Hello all, I have a Verizon Samsung Galaxy S3, rooted, running stock vanilla ICS. I have tried to use Foxfi and good ol Wireless Tether for Root Users with no luck. I think there is an issue with running ad hoc vs. infrastructure mode, I get an error in the log every time with wireless tether that says "unable to start ad hoc mode".

Has ANYONE been able to successfully turn their rooted VZW S3 into a wifi hotspot??
    Some history first. WiFi Hotspot worked fine last summer when my phone was running ICS using the default options and paying. Fast forward six plus months. Now with Jellybean and a shared data plan, invoking the Verizon Mobile Hotspot or directly from Settings results in "Unfortunately, Settings has stopped." Thought I could work around this by Tethering via USB, but again same result. Is anyone else having this problem? Hope I'm just missing an obvious step or option.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Wifi Tethering Problems on VZW S3-screenshot_2013-02-05-16-45-12.png  

Looks like this is not an isolated issue. Will check out FoxFi now.
    Hotspot Issues

ROM
    Tshed

Quote Originally Posted by bejackso View Post
    Rooted stock JB-VRBLK3 & FoxFi works fine on my phone.
    Thanked by:

Quote Originally Posted by k4df4l View Post
    Rooted stock JB-VRBLK3 & FoxFi works fine on my phone.
    That's encouraging. From what I understand FoxFi now = PdaNet FoxFi - Turn Android into free WiFi Hotspot (no root) I'm rooted as well and running VRBLK3. Are you using PdaNet?

ROM
    Tshed

Quote Originally Posted by Dog5000 View Post
    That's encouraging. From what I understand FoxFi now = PdaNet FoxFi - Turn Android into free WiFi Hotspot (no root) I'm rooted as well and running VRBLK3. Are you using PdaNet?
    Just the foxfi app 1.9.53
    Thanked by:

OK, this helps. Good news is that after a Factory Reset and Titanium Backup Restore the WiFi Hotspot works perfectly. Don't know what happened as I did a Factory Reset before/after updating from ICS to Jellybean. I did run into "Could not contact the AM server" message several times when trying to initialize the feature. The message popped up after system initiated a plan check to see if I indeed was allowed to use WiFi Hotspot. About 10 minutes later apparently the AM server responded, and all was good from there.

I've been using the Fattin Hotspot Toggle Widget. It's better than FoxFi and it's FREE. No root required. It somehow uses Verizon's own hotspot utility even if you have their unlimited plan.
    https://play.google.com/store/apps/d...widget.hotspot