S3 sensor question

flameinthefire

Dec 14, 2011
Visit site
the 2 sensors before the camera the first one the red light is on what does that mean? even when the screen is not on. its not bright but i can see it

drmaf894c

Apr 26, 2012
Visit site
I have seen what you mean. It doesn't happen all the time but sometimes like when you restart the phone or other unusual times there is a very faint red light. I think it is the proximity sensor? But not sure.

Sent from my Samsung Galaxy S III using Android Central Forums

48dodge

Jun 14, 2012
Visit site
I noticed this a couple days ago. Very strange. It seems to show up on list screens like the text app. It disappears when switching to another app.

dmcman73

May 20, 2010
Visit site
It's the IR light, same type of near invisible light that's used in night cameras, TV remotes, etc. The IR light on the front of the phone is what helps to detect how close your face is to the phone so it know when to lock the screen so your cheek does not hang up the call.

KurtM88

Aug 2, 2012
Visit site
the 2 sensors before the camera the first one the red light is on what does that mean? even when the screen is not on. its not bright but i can see it

what I've noticed is I only have the few motion sensors, the one were you are in the thread texting and you put phone to your ear and it makes call and only time the light comes on is when in on a texting thread so that must be for the motions, yours must always be on because you have smart stay

Sent from my SCH-I535 using Android Central Forums

rizsye

Sep 27, 2012
Visit site
i found a solution ;))
After i tried sooo many app to disable this sensor light. I found that the solution is to open viber and exit from it ( from settings select exit don:t exit by home button) and try

comshock25

Jul 1, 2012
Visit site
I had the same issue just now.

Thank you very much for the tip on exiting viber.

I don't know why viber is keeping that light on... Thinking of emailing a question to the developers :rolleyes:

Sent from my GT-I9300 using Tapatalk 2

2605pax

Sep 30, 2012
Visit site
just noticed this 2 days ago, and yes, it is viber, but i also noticed tnat the red light goes on automatically some time after, and i have to close viber from the cach? to turn it off

miadez

Oct 13, 2012
Visit site
The solution to this problem is to Close Viber.

Open Viber, Press More and select Exit. THAT'S IT!

The red light will disappear now :cool:

:)

Ventura726

May 16, 2012
Visit site
I noticed the proximity sensor lights up whenever I open a SMS thread. I'm pretty sure it does it so it can dial whoever you're texting if you have the direct call feature enabled.

Graham Jones

Dec 9, 2012
Visit site
I have noticed that too. Soon afterwards, I also noticed that the hand gesture for taking screen shots & muting sounds does not work anymore. Also, I downloaded "smart screen off/on lite" just to test the switch. This utilizes the proximity switch to close the screen & worked ok! Hand gestures still not working! :(

Pranav Rao

Apr 15, 2014
Visit site
Galaxy s 3 does not have an IR sensor its the proximity sensor it gets triggerd by some apps try restarting phone or force close "dial er" app in all apps

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
kirk781