Global Phone?

dpham00

Moderator Team VP
Apr 23, 2011
Visit site
yes it does, just download the "phone info " app in the play store and switch to " wcdma preferred"

Mar 20, 2011
Visit site
When I recently traveled, I just called Verizon's global support and they activated it on my phone for my trip. Was very easy and worked with no issues.

Berry me a G

Dec 6, 2009
Visit site
I'll have to give this a try as I'll be needing international support in a couple of weeks. Has anyone been able to get Verizon to unlock the phone so that another sim card can be used?

tk-093

Dec 5, 2011
Visit site
I'll have to give this a try as I'll be needing international support in a couple of weeks. Has anyone been able to get Verizon to unlock the phone so that another sim card can be used?

I don't know about this particular phone, but Verizon has always unlocked phones for customers in good standing in the past. I don't know what they consider "good standing" is anymore, but it used to be paying your bill on time for at least 3 months.

ENstig8or

Apr 26, 2010
Visit site
When I recently traveled, I just called Verizon's global support and they activated it on my phone for my trip. Was very easy and worked with no issues.

I wish I knew who you reached to accomplish this. I've called Global Support 4 times only to be told each time my S3 cannot be used on my trip to Ireland (GSM network) They said it would be up to 12 months for the update that would allow it to be global.

unlmtdRW

Jul 20, 2012
Visit site
I wish I knew who you reached to accomplish this. I've called Global Support 4 times only to be told each time my S3 cannot be used on my trip to Ireland (GSM network) They said it would be up to 12 months for the update that would allow it to be global.
... I'm thinking that it's more a case of asking @4424 "where did you travel? and was it a country with CDMA service?" That's more likely to be the explanation. :p

Last edited:

anon(661246)

Jan 26, 2012
Visit site

Yeah I am off to Northern Ireland in 6 weeks then England in Dec. That's a bit of a bummer. I do have a Rezound I could use in place.

Seriously though, for a big release phone like the S3 it should have came out of the box global ready.

It could take a year! :mad:

Anon_Emus

Mar 6, 2011
Visit site
When I recently traveled, I just called Verizon's oglobal support and they activated it on my phone for my trip. Was very easy and worked with no issues.

When you say it worked, did you use VZW global roaming or was it unlocked for you to use a local sim from the country you traveled to?

Ceetar

Jul 27, 2012
Visit site
12 days until I leave. Not sure I want to take the steps of rooting and messing around for the first time, or just limiting myself to WiFi and no dialer. (who uses that part anyway)

without the GSM bit unlocked a foreign SIM card won't do any good either right? But I'd need to do that if I rooted anyway otherwise how would it know who to charge me for data/usage?

I called Verizon two weeks ago and they said they had no help for me on when the update would be coming and mentioned a $20 Global Phone, which I guess wouldn't be horrible for emergencies..

anon(661246)

Jan 26, 2012
Visit site
12 days until I leave. Not sure I want to take the steps of rooting and messing around for the first time, or just limiting myself to WiFi and no dialer. (who uses that part anyway)

without the GSM bit unlocked a foreign SIM card won't do any good either right? But I'd need to do that if I rooted anyway otherwise how would it know who to charge me for data/usage?

I called Verizon two weeks ago and they said they had no help for me on when the update would be coming and mentioned a $20 Global Phone, which I guess wouldn't be horrible for emergencies..

Where are you going?

I am off to Ireland in 5 weeks then England in Dec.

Would love to be able to use my phone but I guess it will be strictly wifi. You could make calls using voip. some free apps out there.

This may be a blessing, have you seen the data and voice plans?? Expensive :eek:

Ceetar

Jul 27, 2012
Visit site
Where are you going?

I am off to Ireland in 5 weeks then England in Dec.

Would love to be able to use my phone but I guess it will be strictly wifi. You could make calls using voip. some free apps out there.

This may be a blessing, have you seen the data and voice plans?? Expensive :eek:

Amsterdam, than Munich for Oktoberfest, then Prague.

true. way too expensive. but my friends are counting on beer pictures on facebook when they wake up! ;-)

npo

Jun 12, 2011
Visit site
Ask, & thou shalt receive

Just got back from a trip to Europe. Verizon gave me a free loaner global phone (DInc2) for the trip, after I told them over the phone that Verizon phone reps had told me that the GS3 would work on European GSM networks on 3 separate occasions -- twice before ordering and 2 weeks later before receiving the shipment . On one of those occasions, the rep was even kind enough to transfer me to the "Global Dept", where they told me the software update would come just in time for the London Olympics.

Not as nice as having my GS3, but a lot better than nothing (or my old BB Storm 2!).

NotJustAPhone

Jan 29, 2011
Visit site
Verizon offers free loaner global phones to all its customers. I've gotten the loaner phones before. The per-minute charges are expensive but that shouldn't be surprising. Now, I just use an old unlocked Storm 2 with a local SIM card.

Sent from my Jelly Bean-equipped Galaxy Nexus

anon(661246)

Jan 26, 2012
Visit site
Another question!

What will I need to charge my phone in the UK(coming from US). I have a adapter but do I need a converter from 110 to 220?

Ceetar

Jul 27, 2012
Visit site
Another question!

What will I need to charge my phone in the UK(coming from US). I have a adapter but do I need a converter from 110 to 220?

the default charger says 100-240 on it, so I've taken this to mean it's going to fine with just the adapter.