1. Thread Author  Thread Author    #1  

Global Posts
    35 Global Posts

Default Phone Info. App Question

Which are the correct preferred network type settings:

To use only 3G for better battery life
    To use only 4G when I have a solid signal
    To have the phone automatically switch off to best signal

I've been messing with the setting and I have forgotten what the base settings pre-app install were.

Thanks folks!

Default Re: Phone Info. App Question

3g:cdma auto prl

4g: lte only

Auto switch :lte/cdma/evdo
    Thanked by:
  3. Thread Author  Thread Author    #3  

Global Posts
    35 Global Posts

Quote Originally Posted by dpham00 View Post
    3g:cdma auto prl

4g: lte only

Auto switch :lte/cdma/evdo
    Thanks my friend.

Is there a way to lock 4g to be used all the time (network permitting) and still have voice service?

Quote Originally Posted by deputydog95 View Post
    Is there a way to lock 4g to be used all the time (network permitting) and still have voice service?
    No, the lte only gives you data only

I use this app for my Verizon s3 when I want to disable 4g for better battery life.
    It was suggested to choose CDMA auto (PRL) to turn the phone into 3g, one of the other options options available is "cdma only" another is "EvDo only "

Can anyone please explain the differences between these 3 options? tx

Quote Originally Posted by jeterderek4 View Post
    I use this app for my Verizon s3 when I want to disable 4g for better battery life.
    It was suggested to choose “CDMA auto (PRL) to turn the phone into 3g, one of the other options options available is "cdma only" another is "EvDo only "

Can anyone please explain the differences between these 3 options? tx
    CDMA auto (prl) allows the device to switch properly between all non-LTE modes (3G/1X/1x) which support both data and voice. CDMA only mode limits you to 1X speeds (SLOOOOOW) and allows voice. EVDO only mode is like LTE only mode in that it only gives you a data connection with no voice support (3G and LTE respectively). Suppose you could use one of the VOIP apps for voice on those but you're risking reliability.
    Thanked by:

Has anyone checked to see that the app Phone Info no longer is available on android market? (There is an app with this same name now but it doesn't provide the functionality discussed in this thread). Is there some other app that would work to allow the Verizon S3 to specifically use CDMA (auto) or CDMA ? The problem I'm trying to solve is my Verizon Network Extender has 4 blue lights, my phone indicates that I'm connected to the NE, and yet most of my calls, (9 out of 10) drop after 2 or 3 minutes of talk. I'm wondering if my phone is fighting with a weak 4G signal and disconnecting voice from the NE (just me thinking... have no idea). So, if I could get my S3 phone to only talk CDMA (to my NE) then I could get a better understanding of what is going on... if that situation drops my voice calls, then I've probably got reason to suspect the NE is the problem....

Quote Originally Posted by kdwurl View Post
    Has anyone checked to see that the app Phone Info no longer is available on android market? (There is an app with this same name now but it doesn't provide the functionality discussed in this thread). Is there some other app that would work to allow the Verizon S3 to specifically use CDMA (auto) or CDMA ? The problem I'm trying to solve is my Verizon Network Extender has 4 blue lights, my phone indicates that I'm connected to the NE, and yet most of my calls, (9 out of 10) drop after 2 or 3 minutes of talk. I'm wondering if my phone is fighting with a weak 4G signal and disconnecting voice from the NE (just me thinking... have no idea). So, if I could get my S3 phone to only talk CDMA (to my NE) then I could get a better understanding of what is going on... if that situation drops my voice calls, then I've probably got reason to suspect the NE is the problem....

You can side load the old phone info app, works fine for me.

Turn off LTE (Phone Info App Apk Inside)

Sent from my Verizon Galaxy S3

Global Posts
    204 Global Posts

Quote Originally Posted by kdwurl View Post
    I downloaded an app called "LTE OnOff" which allows switching between various modes. Perhaps you can use this for your test. For what it's worth, I have the Verizon extender also and never drop calles while connected to it. Then again, I have never seen my phone switch into 4G at home. In the future I'll pay closer attention. I have always wondered how the NE fits into the scheme of things.