How is the GPS on the Galaxy S3?

Andy847

Nov 1, 2010
Visit site
Hi, I'm due for a Phone Upgrade next month. Still sporting a Droid X and very happy with it. I've started doing some research on the phones available now and see the Samsung GS3 Is getting a lot of Praise. I remember when deciding on my Droid X, that the Samsung Fascinate's GPS was horrible. Kind of heard that a lot with Samsung phones. Is this the Case with the Galaxy S3? I live in a Chicago suburb and never had any problems with my Motorola Droid X with GPS. Considering looking at the Razr Maxx or Waiting For the Droid Fighter if GPS is a problem on the Galaxy S3. Anyone having Problems with theirs?

Sabban

Jul 11, 2010
Visit site
Gps has been great for me, licks within 3-5sec with about 14-18dif sats. Had as many as 24 at one point

Sent from my SCH-I535 using Android Central Forums

dpham00

Moderator Team VP
Apr 23, 2011
Visit site
gps runs pretty good for me. The fascinate used Samsung's exynos soc. The GS3 in the USA uses the qualcomm snapdragon krait msm8960, which is the same as the hox.

drmaf894c

Apr 26, 2012
Visit site
I will also say my gps is great. I live in very rural America and have no problems with gps or other signal (4g or 3g). Have been very impressed with the signal in this phone. At least comparable to my dinc. If not better.

Sent from my Samsung Galaxy S III using Android Central Forums

ZipKicker

Nov 10, 2009
Visit site
Mine is AWFUL! My wifi also loses connection all the time...perhaps I should send mine back and get a replacement?

Sent from my SCH-I535 using Tapatalk 2

Suntan

Mar 16, 2011
Visit site
I'm suprised at how quickly it locks GPS. I had a Droid 3 and the GSIII locks much quicker. Even indoors.

Also, fwiw, to the people out in rural areas, getting a GPS signal has nothing to do with ruaral vs. urban areas. The signals are coming from space.

-Suntan

dillon24

Jul 4, 2012
Visit site
Just recently on a trip my GPS wouldn't hold signal unless it was in my windshield.. my old phone I would sit on my center console and it would never lose signal.. The galaxy lost signal numerous times where I actually had to physically place it in the windshield and wait for 10 seconds before it would reconnect..then trying to balance it on my knee while driving.. guess I'll have to get the window mount for the future

johnjuan

Nov 7, 2009
Visit site
I'm in los Angeles area never had issues with GPS, went to San Francisco and Oakland this weekend and only had trouble in Oakland outside convention center.

anon(94115)

Banned
Nov 29, 2010
Visit site
I loved my fascinate but comparing then and now is not a fair fight.

Though I did not test the gps, overall sign strength for me wasn't bad

From my XxX rated Rezound

chris.then

Apr 28, 2010
Visit site
I'm in los Angeles area never had issues with GPS, went to San Francisco and Oakland this weekend and only had trouble in Oakland outside convention center.
I?d considsr that buildings in sf and oak are taller than LA. They block gps view of satellites. My s3 gps has been amazing coming from a tbolt that isnt saying much.

snookiesnoo

Apr 28, 2010
Visit site
I think the GPS works as it does on the iPhone in that it uses a combination of satellite and wifi locations to get a position. If you used satellite only it would take forever to get a lock. That would explain why some are getting faster or more accurate locks than others.

haevolution

Jul 8, 2012
Visit site
Best of any smartphone I have owned - including Droid X and Galaxy Nexus. Droid X was pretty slow to lock most of the time and drained battery like mad. GN was better pretty quick but frequently required multiple tries to get a lock. GS3 grabs lock quickly and uses moderate battery even when using navigation feature.

Russian GLONASS appears to be cause of the great performance - this from a review (not 100% certain if the US models have this but it makes sense):

GPS is on board, and it's backed up by GLONASS - for those that don't know, this is a system that's similar to GPS (developed by the Russians) that's slightly less accurate than the US-created version - but add the two together and you've got a superbly quick fix when it comes to locating yourself on the Maps app... we're talking a couple of seconds max most of the time and world away from the rubbish reception of the Galaxy S2.

(Apparently GLONASS is necessary on mobile phones now to avoid being subject to an import duty when exporting to Russia - we don't care, as it gives us faster tracking and phones are cheaper for our Russian friends. Everyone wins).

Andy847

Nov 1, 2010
Visit site
Thanks for the input everyone, I couldn't try the GPS at the Verizon store, but got my first look at the phone and really love it. I'm forgetting about even considering the RAZR Maxx, because the screen had a yellow tint to it and the pictures were awful compared to the GS3. Nice phone, but noticed as mentioned on the forum here, lack of accessories, which kind of worries me. Other than that, it may be my next phone. Still not sure if I should wait awhile for more accessories and to see the Droid Fighter, but if Fighter is anything like the Maxx, I'll pass.
@dillon24, I noticed I didn't see any car mount at the corporate verizon store I usually buy my phones at. I could place my X on the console also and still recieve a signal. Hopefully will be able to use the GS3 that way also, if I can't find a mount for the windshield.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
smokedog87