Welcome to the Android Central Forums Create Your Account or Ask a Question Answers in 5 minutes - no registration required!
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Results 1 to 25 of 30
Like Tree2Likes
  1. Thread Author  Thread Author    #1  

    Exclamation Can't transfer pictures from my S3....

    Took a bunch of pictures this weekend after I got my new S3. I have my 32gb card in there that was in my Thunderbolt. When I hook the phone up to my laptop I can only see the pictures that are on the card from before the Galaxy S3. When I click on the details of the photos they say they are in this folder: /mnt/extSdCard/DCIM/Camera/

    When I go to the mnt folder the only option from there is SDCard. There isn't an extSdCard folder.

    I was trying to upload pictures into a photo album on Facebook. Kinda hard to do when you can't even locate the pictures.

    Also, when shooting in Burst Mode the files are being saved to mnt/sdcard/DCIM/Camera. I can see the files but it won't let me take them off the phone and put them on the computer.

    This is very frustrating. Does anyone have any solutions?

    Thanks!
  2. Thread Author  Thread Author    #2  

    Default Re: Can't transfer pictures from my S3....

    Anyone got anything? This is driving me nuts.
    Thanked by:
  3. #3  

    Default

    Can you still view the pictures from the phone gallery?

    Sent from my SPH-L710 using Android Central Forums
  4. Thread Author  Thread Author    #4  

    Default

    Yes. I can view them all in camera mode and in the gallery. Yet nothing when I sync up to a computer. Tried several computers and all with the same result.

    Sent from my SCH-I535 using Android Central Forums
  5. #5  
    flenn's Avatar

    Posts
    14 Posts
    Global Posts
    17 Global Posts

    Default Re: Can't transfer pictures from my S3....

    After plugging in your phone, you can pull down from the top (where the settings toggles are) and select "Connected as a media device, touch for other USB options". Select "Camera PTP". In Windows Explorer you'll now see the phone just like it was a camera (it'll even have a camera icon). Right click on it and select "Import pictures and videos". You can select where you want everything saved in "Import settings". If you leave you pictures/videos on the phone, it'll only copy the new photos next time you import.
    Thanked by:
  6. #6  

    Default

    with google+ you can activate instant upload only when phone charging. So when you wake up in the am all your photos will be on your gmail(google+) account secure so only you can view. I used to store photos on my pc til it crashed one year and i lost so many family photos. This is a great storage place for you and from there you can do whatever with your photos.

    Sent from my SPH-L710 using Android Central Forums
    harajuku0910 likes this.
  7. #7  

    Default

    also a great photo app to upload multiple photos at once to FB is my album or my album pro. I use that to upload all my photos to FB.

    i know it doesn't answer your question exactly but it just may save your night:-D

    Sent from my SPH-L710 using Android Central Forums
    Thanked by:
  8. Thread Author  Thread Author    #8  

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by flenn View Post
    After plugging in your phone, you can pull down from the top (where the settings toggles are) and select "Connected as a media device, touch for other USB options". Select "Camera PTP". In Windows Explorer you'll now see the phone just like it was a camera (it'll even have a camera icon). Right click on it and select "Import pictures and videos". You can select where you want everything saved in "Import settings". If you leave you pictures/videos on the phone, it'll only copy the new photos next time you import.
    The only options I remember seeing were mnt or ptp. I don't recall anything after that. I will try again tomorrow and look for that.

    Sent from my SCH-I535 using Android Central Forums
  9. Thread Author  Thread Author    #9  

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by sandman132 View Post
    with google+ you can activate instant upload only when phone charging. So when you wake up in the am all your photos will be on your gmail(google+) account secure so only you can view. I used to store photos on my pc til it crashed one year and i lost so many family photos. This is a great storage place for you and from there you can do whatever with your photos.

    Sent from my SPH-L710 using Android Central Forums
    But I still need to save them to the computer from there to upload into a Facebook album, right?

    Still...It is an option. But I would at least love to get this sync issue resolved.

    Sent from my SCH-I535 using Android Central Forums
  10. #10  

    Default

    I use my album pro to upload.

    Sent from my SPH-L710 using Android Central Forums
  11. #11  

    Default

    hope this helps, good luck

    Sent from my SPH-L710 using Android Central Forums
  12. Thread Author  Thread Author    #12  

    Default Re: Can't transfer pictures from my S3....

    Quote Originally Posted by flenn View Post
    After plugging in your phone, you can pull down from the top (where the settings toggles are) and select "Connected as a media device, touch for other USB options". Select "Camera PTP". In Windows Explorer you'll now see the phone just like it was a camera (it'll even have a camera icon). Right click on it and select "Import pictures and videos". You can select where you want everything saved in "Import settings". If you leave you pictures/videos on the phone, it'll only copy the new photos next time you import.
    Ok. I just hooked it up to a computer at work and did the import. It is importing those pictures. So at least it does that.

    The downside, I still can't just locally access that file on the phone. It won't even let me change the folder to where pics are saved to. It is either card or phone. Would be nice if it let me choose what folder on the card to save to.
  13. #13  
    bucky716's Avatar

    Posts
    78 Posts
    Global Posts
    272 Global Posts

    Default Re: Can't transfer pictures from my S3....

    Easiest option: download and install the Samsung Kies software, connect phone, click external memory option and there's everything.
    Thanked by:
  14. #14  
    byrds8's Avatar

    Posts
    522 Posts
    Global Posts
    523 Global Posts

    Default Re: Can't transfer pictures from my S3....

    I have this same issue with my phone. I can copy all the pictures that was not taken with the phone to my desktop no problem but nothing that was taken with the phone itself. No matter what setting for the USB connection it has the same outcome. Very odd that it is only items I have taken with this device. That is one heck of a weird bug. Anyone ever figure out why this is an issue?
    Last edited by byrds8; 09-23-2012 at 05:27 PM.
  15. #15  

    Default Re: Can't transfer pictures from my S3....

    I would suggest using Dropbox. When you first set it up it will ask if you want to automatically upload your pictures, and gives you the option of only doing so over wifi to save data. When I get to my computer I just open my dropbox folder and all my pictures are there. Another nice thing is I can open my online dropbox account if I am using someone else's computer and access my recent pictures from there.
  16. #16  
    mike340t's Avatar

    Posts
    417 Posts
    Global Posts
    772 Global Posts
    ROM
    Rooted Stock

    Default Re: Can't transfer pictures from my S3....

    One of my biggest issues with this phone is not being able to access as a disk drive like in prior Android versions and how many apps saves to only the internal "sdcard" and not "extSDCard"... Kind of sucks having to constantly transfer from internal to external all the time...
    My history: Ericsson 628, 768, T10, T28 World, Siemens S12, Nokia 8290, 3390, Motorola C330 , V70, Ericsson T68i, Motorola v100, Accompli 009, Sony Ericsson P800, T300, T610, O2 XDA II, BlackBerry 6210, Sanyo SCP5300, SCP8100, VM4500, PM8200, MM7400, MM8300, MM9000, BlackBerry 7750, Kyocera KX18, MM-A900, SCP8400, Pearl 8130, Tour 9630, Samsung Epic 4G, HTC Design 4G, Nook Tablet. CO's: Omnipoint, Voicestream, T-Mobile, (Amp'd for a short time) Sprint, Verizon
  17. #17  

    Default Re: Can't transfer pictures from my S3....

    Quote Originally Posted by Canephins View Post
    The downside, I still can't just locally access that file on the phone. It won't even let me change the folder to where pics are saved to. It is either card or phone. Would be nice if it let me choose what folder on the card to save to.
    Are you trying to 'locally access' those files on the phone when it's disconnected from the computer? I use the included 'My files' application and it shows both the sdcard and extSdCard directories:I'll agree that you can't pick a specific directory to save the camera pictures to but you can access the default directory on either the sdcard or extSdCard using 'My files' or any other file explorer.

    Sent from my rooted, debloated, deodexed Sinclair ZX-80 running CM -0.001 using Tapatalk 2
  18. #18  
    mike340t's Avatar

    Posts
    417 Posts
    Global Posts
    772 Global Posts
    ROM
    Rooted Stock

    Default Re: Can't transfer pictures from my S3....

    Quote Originally Posted by GSDer View Post
    Are you trying to 'locally access' those files on the phone when it's disconnected from the computer? I use the included 'My files' application and it shows both the sdcard and extSdCard directories. I'll agree that you can't pick a specific directory to save the camera pictures to but you can access the default directory on either the sdcard or extSdCard using 'My files' or any other file explorer.
    I meant how many apps just blindly save to the internal memory, especially some other camera apps... I wish I had the option of choosing my default save space.. By access I meant how in prior versions I was able to access as a real disk drive and not as a media drive... which is so painfully slow and annoying..
    My history: Ericsson 628, 768, T10, T28 World, Siemens S12, Nokia 8290, 3390, Motorola C330 , V70, Ericsson T68i, Motorola v100, Accompli 009, Sony Ericsson P800, T300, T610, O2 XDA II, BlackBerry 6210, Sanyo SCP5300, SCP8100, VM4500, PM8200, MM7400, MM8300, MM9000, BlackBerry 7750, Kyocera KX18, MM-A900, SCP8400, Pearl 8130, Tour 9630, Samsung Epic 4G, HTC Design 4G, Nook Tablet. CO's: Omnipoint, Voicestream, T-Mobile, (Amp'd for a short time) Sprint, Verizon
  19. #19  
    Rockafella's Avatar

    Posts
    32 Posts
    Global Posts
    251 Global Posts
    ROM
    Stock 4.1.1

    Default Re: Can't transfer pictures from my S3....

    I too use Dropbox to save all my pictures I take with my phone. I have different folders set up on Dropbox and I use "drop sync" to keep the pictures separated the way I want them to be. You can use drop sync to monitor picture folders you create in gallery and it will automatically upload them. This way I don't have a folder with just a crap load of pictures with no organization. Instead of using the lack luster gallery that comes with the phone get the app "quickpic". It's so much better and I like to see my picture list in detail view instead of a bunch of thumbnails. Create and organize your folders with quickpic or you can take it a step further.

    I also have an app called "media organizer". The good thing about the app is it helps you easily move pictures to your most common folders that you create to organize pictures. An example....I'm viewing a picture I just took in the "quickpic" app and I want to move it to a folder I've created. You can select the "move to" option but you have to always keep sifting through the folders to get to the folder you want or you can click share and select "media organizer" and you can select favorite folders. You don't have to constantly sift through folders all the time and you can create unlimited favorite folders.

    I hope this doesn't sound way too complicated because it isn't. I just wanted to show you options out there. Ultimately if you used Dropbox to upload your shots you can have access to them on your pc automatically without having to even connect the cable to the phone.
  20. #20  
    byrds8's Avatar

    Posts
    522 Posts
    Global Posts
    523 Global Posts

    Default Re: Can't transfer pictures from my S3....

    I am trying to copy from the exsdcard to the computer. The images are saved on the external card. It will not copy anything that was taking with the S3. Images taken with prior phones that is on the same SD card will copy just fine and if I remove the card and place it in the computer it will copy just fine. I shouldnt have to use dropbox or anything else to move images.
  21. #21  
    Rockafella's Avatar

    Posts
    32 Posts
    Global Posts
    251 Global Posts
    ROM
    Stock 4.1.1

    Default Re: Can't transfer pictures from my S3....

    Quote Originally Posted by byrds8 View Post
    I am trying to copy from the exsdcard to the computer. The images are saved on the external card. It will not copy anything that was taking with the S3. Images taken with prior phones that is on the same SD card will copy just fine and if I remove the card and place it in the computer it will copy just fine. I shouldnt have to use dropbox or anything else to move images.

    The reason and suggestion of using Dropbox was so that you wouldn't even have to worry about taking the card out or connecting the phone to the computer because the pictures would be uploaded to Dropbox and if you installed it on your computer they would be there.
  22. #22  

    Default Re: Can't transfer pictures from my S3....

    I've never had this problem...when I plug my phone in, I see "SCH-I535" listed under "Other" when viewing in Explorer, and under there are both "phone" and "card" (/mnt/sdcard and /mnt/extSDcard)

    Quote Originally Posted by Canephins View Post
    Ok. I just hooked it up to a computer at work and did the import. It is importing those pictures. So at least it does that.

    The downside, I still can't just locally access that file on the phone. It won't even let me change the folder to where pics are saved to. It is either card or phone. Would be nice if it let me choose what folder on the card to save to.
    My guess it has something to do with the camera technology. Perhaps as cell phone cameras became more sophisticated, they were obligated to follow the design rule for digital camera folder structure?

    Quote Originally Posted by mike340t View Post
    One of my biggest issues with this phone is not being able to access as a disk drive like in prior Android versions and how many apps saves to only the internal "sdcard" and not "extSDCard"... Kind of sucks having to constantly transfer from internal to external all the time...
    You know...it should technically be possible, since I believe you can still access the directory structure via ADB...hmmm...maybe I'll try to see if I can script something to easily allow this...
  23. #23  

    Default Re: Can't transfer pictures from my S3....

    Also having trouble transferring pics from phone. Pull down the bar as suggested but see no 'connect to media ' or mount options? The pics must be on an internal hardrive as I have no sd card in the phone
    Val Roy likes this.
  24. #24  

    Default Re: Can't transfer pictures from my S3....

    I just purchased a new memory card and i cant transfer my pictures from my gallery could you pleade aassist me
  25. #25  

    Default Re: Can't transfer pictures from my S3....

    Im having same problem... have you figured it out yet?
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Posting Permissions