Can't transfer pictures from my S3....

Canephins

Feb 3, 2011
Visit site
Took a bunch of pictures this weekend after I got my new S3. I have my 32gb card in there that was in my Thunderbolt. When I hook the phone up to my laptop I can only see the pictures that are on the card from before the Galaxy S3. When I click on the details of the photos they say they are in this folder: /mnt/extSdCard/DCIM/Camera/

When I go to the mnt folder the only option from there is SDCard. There isn't an extSdCard folder.

I was trying to upload pictures into a photo album on Facebook. Kinda hard to do when you can't even locate the pictures.

Also, when shooting in Burst Mode the files are being saved to mnt/sdcard/DCIM/Camera. I can see the files but it won't let me take them off the phone and put them on the computer.

This is very frustrating. Does anyone have any solutions?

Thanks!

Canephins

Feb 3, 2011
Visit site
Yes. I can view them all in camera mode and in the gallery. Yet nothing when I sync up to a computer. Tried several computers and all with the same result.

Sent from my SCH-I535 using Android Central Forums

flenn

Jul 9, 2010
Visit site
After plugging in your phone, you can pull down from the top (where the settings toggles are) and select "Connected as a media device, touch for other USB options". Select "Camera PTP". In Windows Explorer you'll now see the phone just like it was a camera (it'll even have a camera icon). Right click on it and select "Import pictures and videos". You can select where you want everything saved in "Import settings". If you leave you pictures/videos on the phone, it'll only copy the new photos next time you import.

sandman132

May 28, 2012
Visit site
with google+ you can activate instant upload only when phone charging. So when you wake up in the am all your photos will be on your gmail(google+) account secure so only you can view. I used to store photos on my pc til it crashed one year and i lost so many family photos. This is a great storage place for you and from there you can do whatever with your photos.

Sent from my SPH-L710 using Android Central Forums

sandman132

May 28, 2012
Visit site
also a great photo app to upload multiple photos at once to FB is my album or my album pro. I use that to upload all my photos to FB.

i know it doesn't answer your question exactly but it just may save your night:-D

Reactions: Alfonsca

Canephins

Feb 3, 2011
Visit site
After plugging in your phone, you can pull down from the top (where the settings toggles are) and select "Connected as a media device, touch for other USB options". Select "Camera PTP". In Windows Explorer you'll now see the phone just like it was a camera (it'll even have a camera icon). Right click on it and select "Import pictures and videos". You can select where you want everything saved in "Import settings". If you leave you pictures/videos on the phone, it'll only copy the new photos next time you import.

The only options I remember seeing were mnt or ptp. I don't recall anything after that. I will try again tomorrow and look for that.

Canephins

Feb 3, 2011
Visit site
with google+ you can activate instant upload only when phone charging. So when you wake up in the am all your photos will be on your gmail(google+) account secure so only you can view. I used to store photos on my pc til it crashed one year and i lost so many family photos. This is a great storage place for you and from there you can do whatever with your photos.

But I still need to save them to the computer from there to upload into a Facebook album, right?

Still...It is an option. But I would at least love to get this sync issue resolved.

Canephins

Feb 3, 2011
Visit site

Ok. I just hooked it up to a computer at work and did the import. It is importing those pictures. So at least it does that.

The downside, I still can't just locally access that file on the phone. It won't even let me change the folder to where pics are saved to. It is either card or phone. Would be nice if it let me choose what folder on the card to save to.

byrds8

Jul 4, 2011
Visit site
I have this same issue with my phone. I can copy all the pictures that was not taken with the phone to my desktop no problem but nothing that was taken with the phone itself. No matter what setting for the USB connection it has the same outcome. Very odd that it is only items I have taken with this device. That is one heck of a weird bug. Anyone ever figure out why this is an issue?

Last edited:

psyjohn

Jan 27, 2012
Visit site
I would suggest using Dropbox. When you first set it up it will ask if you want to automatically upload your pictures, and gives you the option of only doing so over wifi to save data. When I get to my computer I just open my dropbox folder and all my pictures are there. Another nice thing is I can open my online dropbox account if I am using someone else's computer and access my recent pictures from there.

Since9600

Oct 24, 2010
Visit site
One of my biggest issues with this phone is not being able to access as a disk drive like in prior Android versions and how many apps saves to only the internal "sdcard" and not "extSDCard"... Kind of sucks having to constantly transfer from internal to external all the time...

GSDer

Jan 30, 2011
Visit site
The downside, I still can't just locally access that file on the phone. It won't even let me change the folder to where pics are saved to. It is either card or phone. Would be nice if it let me choose what folder on the card to save to.
Are you trying to 'locally access' those files on the phone when it's disconnected from the computer? I use the included 'My files' application and it shows both the sdcard and extSdCard directories:
6ubutyby.jpg
I'll agree that you can't pick a specific directory to save the camera pictures to but you can access the default directory on either the sdcard or extSdCard using 'My files' or any other file explorer.
egubuhyb.jpg

Sent from my rooted, debloated, deodexed Sinclair ZX-80 running CM -0.001 using Tapatalk 2

Since9600

Oct 24, 2010
Visit site
Are you trying to 'locally access' those files on the phone when it's disconnected from the computer? I use the included 'My files' application and it shows both the sdcard and extSdCard directories. I'll agree that you can't pick a specific directory to save the camera pictures to but you can access the default directory on either the sdcard or extSdCard using 'My files' or any other file explorer.
I meant how many apps just blindly save to the internal memory, especially some other camera apps... I wish I had the option of choosing my default save space.. By access I meant how in prior versions I was able to access as a real disk drive and not as a media drive... which is so painfully slow and annoying..

Rockafella

Oct 15, 2010
Visit site
I too use Dropbox to save all my pictures I take with my phone. I have different folders set up on Dropbox and I use "drop sync" to keep the pictures separated the way I want them to be. You can use drop sync to monitor picture folders you create in gallery and it will automatically upload them. This way I don't have a folder with just a crap load of pictures with no organization. Instead of using the lack luster gallery that comes with the phone get the app "quickpic". It's so much better and I like to see my picture list in detail view instead of a bunch of thumbnails. Create and organize your folders with quickpic or you can take it a step further.

I also have an app called "media organizer". The good thing about the app is it helps you easily move pictures to your most common folders that you create to organize pictures. An example....I'm viewing a picture I just took in the "quickpic" app and I want to move it to a folder I've created. You can select the "move to" option but you have to always keep sifting through the folders to get to the folder you want or you can click share and select "media organizer" and you can select favorite folders. You don't have to constantly sift through folders all the time and you can create unlimited favorite folders.

I hope this doesn't sound way too complicated because it isn't. I just wanted to show you options out there. Ultimately if you used Dropbox to upload your shots you can have access to them on your pc automatically without having to even connect the cable to the phone.

byrds8

Jul 4, 2011
Visit site
I am trying to copy from the exsdcard to the computer. The images are saved on the external card. It will not copy anything that was taking with the S3. Images taken with prior phones that is on the same SD card will copy just fine and if I remove the card and place it in the computer it will copy just fine. I shouldnt have to use dropbox or anything else to move images.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
w8wca