1. Thread Author  Thread Author    #1  
    Banned

Default Question on Contacts

Hey everyone! Newbie here. I have a question on the contacts. I have my my contacts saved with Back Up asst and some saved on Google. But when I select just Phone and Google, I still see all my Facebook and Twitter contacts, if I select all, I'm missing some contacts. I also have duplicates now of some of my contacts. Anyone know how I can clean all these up. Any tips or advise will help. Thanks.

Default Re: Question on Contacts

That's strange, seems like your contacts displayed are the opposite of what you selected.

All I know is, when I had my DX I had some saved on Backup Asst and some on Google, before I realized the difference. I eventually switched to Google only, so I exported my Backup asst contacts to Google, which did result in some duplicates. I went into my Google contacts (on the computer, easier interface for merging and cleanup) and merged them all, some auto, some manual. It was a good opportunity for some sorely needed housekeeping anyways. I'm still not super organized, just divided my Google contacts into two groups- My contacts, which syncs with the phone by default, and Other contacts, which does not sync.

Not sure what your problem is though, why your Facebook and Twitter are showing up even though you've selected just phone and Google...
  3. Thread Author  Thread Author    #3  
    Banned

That's what's confusing me too. And the more I mess with it the worse it gets. And if I try to delete them, it says I can't delete read-only contacts. I may do as you suggested. It's a mess in there.

I know you can't delete facebook or twitter contacts from the contacts section of the phone (have to unfriend or unfollow in their respective apps) so that's where the "can't delete read-only contacts" message is coming from. You can merge contacts in the phone's contact menu (join google, facebook, twitter contacts of the same name) but to join duplicate google entries of the same name, your best bet is to actually join them in your google contacts. Takes a bit longer up front but worth it in the long run.

My preference is to just save all new entries into Google, I don't use Backup Asst for anything. That way if I ever switch carriers (which I will whenever Verizon tries to take my unlimited data) I will have all my contacts, because I'll always be on Android.
  5. Thread Author  Thread Author    #5  
    Banned

So before I fix everything on Google I wanna delete everything, is there a way to do that without wiping the phone?