Welcome to the Android Central Forums Create Your Account or Ask a Question Answers in 5 minutes - no registration required!
Results 1 to 6 of 6
  1. Thread Author  Thread Author    #1  

    Default Possible Google map and screen issue using car dock

    Today I managed to hook my GS3 to my Droid X car dock. I connected the power cable directly to the phone and turned car mode on and opened Google map.

    The screen dimmed after 1 minutes, this is my setting when to turn the screen off, and shortly after it turned off. I changed several settings (no auto brightness, no power saving, removed display power saving option, eye detection on/off) with no luck.

    On my Droid X, as long as you have the phone on the dock and power is feeding the phone and car dock icon is on then the screen never turns off when you have it on Good map.

    Is this is a normal Samsung phone behavior, screen always turns off except when you have navigation on?

    Any solution?
  2. #2  

    Default Re: Possible Google map and screen issue using car dock

    If I have navigation on, the display will stay on. It will dim (but not turn off) until the voice navigation gives you your next directions, then it will come back on to it's normal brightness. I think in any other program it will turn off like it normally does.
  3. #3  

    Default Re: Possible Google map and screen issue using car dock

    You should not be running a Samsung phone through a DROID dock because Motorola designs their docks to work with their phones in order to get the special dock features. It doesn't look like the SGIII will have a custom dock. I have read other forum members ordering the Samsung dock for the ATT Infuse and that seems to work. There is a forum with that info. Do a search and you should find the info you need.
  4. #4  

    Default Re: Possible Google map and screen issue using car dock

    Quote Originally Posted by Kaad_g View Post
    If I have navigation on, the display will stay on. It will dim (but not turn off) until the voice navigation gives you your next directions, then it will come back on to it's normal brightness. I think in any other program it will turn off like it normally does.
    There's a setting in the navigation app to change that (if you don't want it dimming).

    I would definitely try another power source. I would bet it's the Motorola dock causing the problems (I'm not familiar with the dock, but you do say you hooked the phone directly to the power source, so maybe that's not it).

    Have you tried it connected to power but not in the dock? That would be my first test to narrow it down.
  5. Thread Author  Thread Author    #5  

    Default Re: Possible Google map and screen issue using car dock

    Quote Originally Posted by techgeek32 View Post
    You should not be running a Samsung phone through a DROID dock because Motorola designs their docks to work with their phones in order to get the special dock features. It doesn't look like the SGIII will have a custom dock. I have read other forum members ordering the Samsung dock for the ATT Infuse and that seems to work. There is a forum with that info. Do a search and you should find the info you need.
    As you said there is no dedicated dock for the GS3. I have read about the infusion dock solution and will try to ask the same question there but I thought to ask here first for possible software solution that I am not aware of.
  6. Thread Author  Thread Author    #6  

    Default Re: Possible Google map and screen issue using car dock

    Quote Originally Posted by EvilMonkey View Post
    There's a setting in the navigation app to change that (if you don't want it dimming).

    I would definitely try another power source. I would bet it's the Motorola dock causing the problems (I'm not familiar with the dock, but you do say you hooked the phone directly to the power source, so maybe that's not it).

    Have you tried it connected to power but not in the dock? That would be my first test to narrow it down.
    I do the power direct, bypassing the power extension on the dock. I tried it with the phone on the dock and off the dock but no go.

    I am trying several car dock home from Google play hoping one of them will signal the screen to stay on when on map.

Posting Permissions