Firmware update OTA for VZW GSIII?

notataloss

Jan 26, 2012
Visit site
There appears to be one firmware upgrade for VZW phones and, possibly, two. Those who have exchanged their phones received devices with the VRLG1 firmware with crippled search. Apparently there is another firmware update performs the same upgrades but keeps the universal search function.

Has anyone received either of these upgrades OTA?

HotCoil

Jul 20, 2012
Visit site
I think I got an OTA update when I first took my "updated"* S3 out of the box at first. I'm not sure what it did though.

* it came with an "updated" sticker on the screen film and box

joebob2000

Jun 18, 2010
Visit site
I have done a check updates a few times since hearing about the first OTA, but havent seen anything yet. I have a preorder phone.

radar320

Dec 9, 2010
Visit site
Bought my phone on July 13th and still on VRLF2. Friend of mine got theirs within the last week or so and is on VRLG1. Been checking since Sunday, still no OTA.

ibcop

Trusted Member
Mar 9, 2011
Visit site
I swapped a 16gb for the 32gb version and received it (shipped from Verizon) on July 23rd. I'm on VRLF2.

radar320

Dec 9, 2010
Visit site
I tried the modem upgrade to VRLG1. It changed the baseband to the VRLG1, but under build number it still had IMM76d.I535VRLF2.

duanedude1

Dec 20, 2009
Visit site
I thought it was sneaky, wrong, if not illegal to sell a phone with a feature, then take that feature away. If the courts want to stop new phones from using the feature under debate (Univ Search), then so be it. Just don't sneak into my house and rip it outta my hand. Maybe Samsung (in the case of Verizon at least) is letting those with preordered phones slip by, but any new phones, including replacements, get the dreaded "Updated" sticker? My preordered SGS3 has not yet had that "Updated" OTA, but my wife's that she got later has the infamous sticker.

When the local flea market gets caught selling fake LV purses, those may have to be destroyed (that is another can of worms), but the feds don't rip them off the shoulders of customers walking down the street.

joebob2000

Jun 18, 2010
Visit site
I thought it was sneaky, wrong, if not illegal to sell a phone with a feature, then take that feature away. If the courts want to stop new phones from using the feature under debate (Univ Search), then so be it. Just don't sneak into my house and rip it outta my hand. Maybe Samsung (in the case of Verizon at least) is letting those with preordered phones slip by, but any new phones, including replacements, get the dreaded "Updated" sticker? My preordered SGS3 has not yet had that "Updated" OTA, but my wife's that she got later has the infamous sticker.

When the local flea market gets caught selling fake LV purses, those may have to be destroyed (that is another can of worms), but the feds don't rip them off the shoulders of customers walking down the street.

Are any phones that went out before the injunction actually getting the OTA? I think that VZ is sticking to the "letter" of the ruling, in that they are not selling phones with this feature any more. They are however letting the feature sit out there on phones that already have it (at least that is the case with mine). Is there anyone out there who got a phone in-store before the court ruling who had an OTA to remove the feature?

PJnc284

Nov 6, 2009
Visit site
Noob question alert... do you have to be rooted to flash the modem and have you seen a benefit?

AFAIK, it's official so it can be flashed through Odin on a stock device. Baseband/Modem updates usually improve signal strength/stability but I've yet to here anything definitive on the updated version. Probably flash it once my phone charges a little more just to see though.

xliderider

Nov 13, 2009
Visit site
3g/4g hand off is supposed to be improved and so far, I am getting better 4g reception at work in a concrete building where 4g was spotty before.

Reactions: xebikr

PJnc284

Nov 6, 2009
Visit site
Was able test the VRLG1 modem in a relatively poor signal area and needless to say I'm back on the release VRLF2. 3G kept dropping out altogether and would occasionally manage to get 1X. 3G signal, while still poor, seemed to be a lot more stable once I switched back to the VRLF2 radio.

Reactions: Anon_Emus

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jcl678