Rattle in S3

mooserman

Dec 22, 2010
Visit site
Well yesterday I first noticed that my S3 was making a strange rattling noise near the top of the phone, at first I didn't think anything of it, but then it became noticeable every time the phone is moved. Anyways after looking the issue over it seems that the vibrator inside the phone is somehow messed up and is banging around. Some research pulled up that a rattling noise can from the camera auto focus. But using the camera would stop the noise if that was the issue, which it doesn?t. I was wondering if anyone else has had anything like this happen to them before.

taylorz_412

Aug 28, 2011
Visit site
Well yesterday I first noticed that my S3 was making a strange rattling noise near the top of the phone, at first I didn't think anything of it, but then it became noticeable every time the phone is moved. Anyways after looking the issue over it seems that the vibrator inside the phone is somehow messed up and is banging around. Some research pulled up that a rattling noise can from the camera auto focus. But using the camera would stop the noise if that was the issue, which it doesn?t. I was wondering if anyone else has had anything like this happen to them before.

Mine makes the noise only if I shake it really hard

RoOtEd GSIII vzw via tapatalk 2

g1toevo678

Jun 11, 2010
Visit site
Could it possibly be the volume button moving back and forth? My S3 doesn't have a rattle but the gnex does. At first I thought it was the camera until I tried holding the volume button and shaking it.

Sent from my GT-P6210 using Tapatalk 2

mooserman

Dec 22, 2010
Visit site
Honestly the phone has been taken care of and in a case since day one, nothing more than day to day use. I did contact Verizon about it and they're sending a refurb out thankfully. As for it being the volume button, there's no way I've held it down and it still makes the rattle. Hopefully the replacement works good.

marlin29311

Apr 13, 2011
Visit site
I returned 2 S3's for a rattling volume rocker, both within a week of each other - both times the VZW manager gave me no quarrel with getting a new one - now on my 3rd S3, no rattling or issues.

If you are within 14 days, you shoudl get a new S3, not a refurb.

mooserman

Dec 22, 2010
Visit site
I returned 2 S3's for a rattling volume rocker, both within a week of each other - both times the VZW manager gave me no quarrel with getting a new one - now on my 3rd S3, no rattling or issues.

If you are within 14 days, you shoudl get a new S3, not a refurb.

Unfortunately I've had the phone since July 6th, so it's a bit out of the 14 day window. So the refurb is on the way out, also they apparently changed warrenty replacement shipping from free overnight to free 3-5 day shipping. Didn't realize they ever made that policy change.

marlin29311

Apr 13, 2011
Visit site
Unfortunately I've had the phone since July 6th, so it's a bit out of the 14 day window. So the refurb is on the way out, also they apparently changed warrenty replacement shipping from free overnight to free 3-5 day shipping. Didn't realize they ever made that policy change.

Ahh that stinks...at least your getting a new unit though. My rattle came on very very quickly, so the corporate store was very open to just giving me a new one each time. My latest one has no issues...though my brother and my friend's S3 never had the rattle to start. I guess we got lemons :cool:

TheBicycleHater

Aug 29, 2012
Visit site
I had this same thing, kept noticing it when I was on a call and kept hearing this little clicking type noise....Then kept hearing the same thing when I was tapping the screen while surfing the phone. This all was happening about 25 days into having the phone, called ATT, went to a local store and they replaced it no problem.....While at the store the guys shook the new phone and nothing....the next day, the same rattle is back! Not sure what to do at this point, had a Gs2 and it rattled also a little, but for sure not as much....Check my wifes new iphone, it surprisingly has a rattle to!...but man are iphone so much more solid, these Sammys lose so many points on build and feel....anyway, I did notice on all the phones I checked that when you pinch the area around the speaking you put your ear to and shake the phone it kind of stops the rattle, so maybe this is something to do with the speaker?

I dunno, it's pretty disconcerting considering it could get worse over the first year and of course magically break 1 month over the year warranty .......

Anyone have any other ideas on what to do here??? I have a manufacturing background so I can understand what Sammy might be considering if they know about a build quality issue to 10 million units or how ever many they sold, but I'm wondering how it can officially be brought to their attention.???

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
fallingOutOfLoveWfithTech