Welcome to the Android Central Forums Create Your Account or Ask a Question Answers in 5 minutes - no registration required!
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
Like Tree2Likes

Default Re: What app can you recommend if your phone gets stolen to track

Cerberus looks good, but you have to pay for it with a paypal account. I would prefer to use Play.
    Nexus 7, stock.
    Galaxy Slll, stock.

Quote Originally Posted by Captain Kana View Post
    Cerberus looks good, but you have to pay for it with a paypal account. I would prefer to use Play.
    Have you looked at Android Lost? Haven't used Cerberus but it's feature list is similar to Android Lost and the latter is free.

Global Posts
    208 Global Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Tkbredx View Post
    Just checked out android lost. It's absolutely amazing. Functionality is way more than just finding your phone. It can take pictures with the front or rear camera. It can also record things that people are saying for the amount of time you would like. Lock it, wipe it, erase it, forward calls, turn WiFi and GPS on and off, notify you if the SIM card has been changed, and alarms, get text message and call logs... all this via the website or a text message from the allowed phones.

Wonderful app. And definitely show offy. Going to show my cousin why his jOb ok be and find my iPhone is complete crap compared to this.

Best thing about this app though? ITS FREE. :thumbup:

Wow I agree, I just tried out several of those features and it works flawlessly within seconds, time to begin my PI career with this app

cerebus and Lookout are good

I ended up getting cerberus. I liked the webpage interface better. I also found out you can purchase it through Play by buying from the app itself. I have a $25 credit from my Nexus 7. It is now on my phone, the Nexus 7, and my wife's Asus.
    Earlier this year my wife left her rooted nook on a plane in the Caribbean. Someone in Jamaica now has it, according to Barnes and Noble. They have tried to purchase books, but we immediately changed all passwords when we got to St. Barts.
    Nexus 7, stock.
    Galaxy Slll, stock.

ROM
    CM7.2 / Incredikernel

Avast Anti-Theft is good, you can download the beta from the link.

http://forum.avast.com/index.php?topic=101642.0

I ended up getting cerberus. I liked the webpage interface better. I also found out you can purchase it through Play by buying from the app itself. I have a $25 credit from my Nexus 7. It is now on my phone, the Nexus 7, and my wife's Asus.
    Earlier this year my wife left her rooted nook on a plane in the Caribbean. Someone in Jamaica now has it, according to Barnes and Noble. They have tried to purchase books, but we immediately changed all passwords when we got to St. Barts.
    A feature of Android Lost is that it can be installed AFTER a loss or theft by using the website. The website can also be used to "control" the phone from the computer. I'm not sure what a thief do to stop you from reinstalling the app, even after a wipe of the phone. Install it now and expect it to work well. If the phone gets wiped, install it again from the web, turn on the GPS, then go get it back. I suppose the only defense would be a permanent power off or battery pull.

Global Posts
    483 Global Posts

+1 for Android Lost. Has lots of features, including emailing a picture from the front-facing camera.

I have it installed (and hidden in the TouchWiz launcher).

Oh, and for those talking about Find My iPhone - it can be run from a web browser, too, not just another iDevice. It's nice that it's included (as long as you have a free iCloud account and actually activate it when you receive your iphone), but it can't take pictures of the thief and email them.
    Nexus 5 • Nexus 7 • Surface Pro 3

Quote Originally Posted by 06cbrf4i View Post
    Avast Anti-Theft is good, you can download the beta from the link.

http://forum.avast.com/index.php?topic=101642.0
    I installed Avast on my s3 but when I go to Antitheft it says that VZ Navigator is an incompatible SMS tool and needs to be uninstalled. However trying to uninstall it seems to be impossible.

Any suggestions??? Thanks

Global Posts
    1,949 Global Posts
    ROM
    TeamSonicFreeGS3 v9.1

Android lost does everything Cerberus does and more... one huge difference though. Android lost is FREE!

Cerberus - Hands down, any day, all day

The web control panel for Cerberus is WAY better than Android Lost. I have used both and Cerberus is worth the little amount of money it costs.
    Last edited by squiggie; 08-09-2012 at 01:25 PM. Reason: Reasoning behind Cerberus kicking donkey kong

Global Posts
    57 Global Posts

I also installed androidlost but luckily I havent had to use it yet

Quote Originally Posted by JWLthief View Post
    I also installed androidlost but luckily I havent had to use it yet
    Just my 2 cents but anfroidlost kinda gives me the creeps. I don't mean to offend the dev maybe it's a great app. That's just my opinion

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I727

I meant to add that I read somewhere about people hearing the camera sound going off when there was no reason for it to be. That is what really made me question it

Global Posts
    57 Global Posts

Quote Originally Posted by gov View Post
    I meant to add that I read somewhere about people hearing the camera sound going off when there was no reason for it to be. That is what really made me question it

I haven't experienced anything fishy yet...I almost forgot I even had it but I read something on here that reminded me I installed it while ago. The reviews on the play store seem to be really good.

Install the app called 'FindMyPhone'.
    npo

Can anyone confirm that any of these apps are able to remotely turn on the GPS on the Verizon SGS3 specifically? I seem to recall that this requires root on this phone.

Quote Originally Posted by npo View Post
    Can anyone confirm that any of these apps are able to remotely turn on the GPS on the Verizon SGS3 specifically? I seem to recall that this requires root on this phone.
    Just leave it on? The impact on battery life is negligible.

Global Posts
    1,949 Global Posts
    ROM
    TeamSonicFreeGS3 v9.1

Quote Originally Posted by JWLthief View Post
    I haven't experienced anything fishy yet...I almost forgot I even had it but I read something on here that reminded me I installed it while ago. The reviews on the play store seem to be really good.
    Same here.

I also have Cerberus. I chose it because of the features, not whether it was free or not. For those that "its free" is a big issue, I suggest you get a grip. Cerberus cost me all of about $4.

Global Posts
    328 Global Posts

Another vote for Cerebus.

Sent from my SCH-I535 using Tapatalk 2

Default Re: What app can you recommend if your phone gets stolen to track it?

My friends phone got stolen by some little high school girl & he could track his phone and see her through the camera. He really freaked her out by doing this, because he texted her and said he could see her. Big mistake. She ended up crushing the phone, but he tracked the phone to where she lived and got it back. Crushed screen & all.

Default Re: What app can you recommend if your phone gets stolen to track it?

Quote Originally Posted by Jessica Nixon View Post
    My friends phone got stolen by some little high school girl & he could track his phone and see her through the camera. He really freaked her out by doing this, because he texted her and said he could see her. Big mistake. She ended up crushing the phone, but he tracked the phone to where she lived and got it back. Crushed screen & all.
    what app is this? Cause this sounds like something you'd see on a movie

Sent from my SCH-I535 using AC Forums mobile app

Have been using Lookout for over a year and extremely please. It located my phone left in a restaurant and taken home by an employee.....confronted her and it mysteriously showed back up at the restaurant the next day.

Quote Originally Posted by davidnc View Post
    I currently use Lookout ,mainly for its tracking features,wiping features(premium) feature),and locking features(premium feature).
    Another Lookout fan here.

Quote Originally Posted by stickmoney View Post
    what app is this? Cause this sounds like something you'd see on a movie
    Don't know for sure what they were using, but Lookout will do this. It will track (or "find") your phone from a website. In addition, if you have a password set as the security lock and you enable the feature, it will take a picture of anyone who tries unsuccessfully 3 times to unlock your phone and email it to you.

For those who keep saying, "haven't had it happen yet," I'm in that category too, but you can test the "find phone" from their website without actually losing it, or make the phone start to screech, whatever. I'm not willing to test "wipe features." I have tested the email picture feature--works great. If it can take videos, however, that's news to me.

Lookout or something like it is a great deterrent. It will also wipe the phone and card. Everyone should have this app or something similar.

Lookout also acts as an anti-virus program, btw. It scans links and downloads to make sure they are safe. These days I think that's important. These phones are computers. You're not safe without an anti-virus, anti-malware.
    Last edited by monsieurms; 07-11-2013 at 01:38 PM.
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast