What app can you recommend if your phone gets stolen to track it?

hawaiijedi

Jun 18, 2010
Visit site
I know if someone loses or has their iphone stolen they can locate where there phone is. Can we do that with our galaxy s3 on Verizon?
Sent from my SCH-I535 using Xparent Cyan Tapatalk 2

PJnc284

Nov 6, 2009
Visit site
Re: What app can you recommend if your phone gets stolen to track

I know if someone loses or has their iphone stolen they can locate where there phone is. Can we do that with our galaxy s3 on Verizon?

Not without a 3rd party app since Samsung Dive isn't available in the US. After the fact, there are apps like Plan B. Been messing around with Android Lost and it works surprisingly well.

heggood

May 20, 2011
Visit site

Where's my Droid, it's in the playstore and it's free.

Reactions: hawaiijedi

Suntan

Mar 16, 2011
Visit site

So has anyone actually known someone that suffered a stolen phone and then been able to get the phone back because of any of these apps?

Somehow, I doubt that these apps actually prevent someone from getting away with the phone, if they really wanted to steal the phone.

-Suntan

heggood

May 20, 2011
Visit site

So has anyone actually known someone that suffered a stolen phone and then been able to get the phone back because of any of these apps?

Somehow, I doubt that these apps actually prevent someone from getting away with the phone, if they really wanted to steal the phone.

-Suntan

not that exactly, but i have used "wheres my droid" for over 2 years now and i like it. it has helped me find my phone when lost, you can text "gps my droid" from any other phone and it will bring up a map to where it is located, or you can text "wheres my droid" to it and it will make a loud ring even if its set to vibrate or silent. the phone has to be powered on though of course. there's plenty of other options also that you can set up with the app, it gives good options to the user.

Tkbredx

Apr 8, 2012
Visit site
Do any of these have to NOT have keep GPS on at all times? I'm using lookout right now. But I've heard good things about Cerberus.

EvilMonkey

Jun 4, 2010
Visit site

Cerberus here (previously SeekDroid). I've used it a couple times to ring the alarm and find my misplaced phone, which is typically buried in the couch cushions or something like that.

And to the OP, these are tons better than the Find My iPhone app (which I assume you're referring to), which requires another iDevice. WTF?!?! You have to have a second iPhone to find your iPhone? These let you use any web browser.

Uhm...it's not designed to prevent someone from stealing the phone. They're designed for peace of mind that if it is stolen, you can lock it, change the passcode, and even wipe the phone (not rendering the phone useless, but at least preventing them from getting to your data).

Do any of these have to NOT have keep GPS on at all times? I'm using lookout right now. But I've heard good things about Cerberus.

Cerberus will automatically enable the GPS if it's not on and you try to locate the phone (not sure about the others). I think when I used Seekdroid, it would use Cell towers to triangulate the position, which obviously isn't as accurate as GPS, but would at least tell a general location...like if you were trying to figure out if the phone was stolen or you just left it at the office.

Suntan

Mar 16, 2011
Visit site

Uhm...it's not designed to prevent someone from stealing the phone.

Uhm... The OP specifically asked about apps that could be used to track the phone if it got stolen. Thus the question.

-Suntan

mallardhunter

May 3, 2012
Visit site
My niece had her I phone taken at a wal mart. She was able to track the phone to a RV park. Her brother inlaw was with her. They confronted the man that the tracker led them to, he denied it at first but Jack was persistent and the man finally own up to having it. They got her phone back. Most apps will turn on your GPS if it I'd not on. Avast is the one that I use. Out has many features that allow you to do more than track the phone. Take time to read about all the features on which ever one you pick. They do work!

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I727 using Android Central Forums

PJnc284

Nov 6, 2009
Visit site

Uhm... The OP specifically asked about apps that could be used to track the phone if it got stolen. Thus the question.

-Suntan

There's been a couple instances where iphones and androids have been recovered. Here's one about a Desire HD that was stolen and talks about Plan B and Android Lost. http://momav.me/post/21931658583/beating-the-thief Sure the others have similar features but you can have Android Lost send a message and take a picture with the FFC when a person hits ok. Pretty nifty.

Message Picture
Pops up a message on the phone. When the user clicks the OK button the app will take a picture with the frontface camera. You should use an inconspicous message like 'Low on memory' or something similar. Requires android 2.3

tk-093

Dec 5, 2011
Visit site

And to the OP, these are tons better than the Find My iPhone app (which I assume you're referring to), which requires another iDevice. WTF?!?! You have to have a second iPhone to find your iPhone? These let you use any web browser.

Who the heck told you that? You log right into icloud.com and there are all your iDevices. Easy as pie.

The thing that makes the iOS one superior (and keep in mind I dumped my 4S for this sweet G3, is that it is just built into the OS... Now we can go out and get 3rd party apps, but the vast, vast majority of smartphone buyers are clueless and want stuff build it. :)

davidnc

Super Moderator
Jun 8, 2010
Visit site

I currently use Lookout ,mainly for its tracking features,wiping features(premium) feature),and locking features(premium feature).
I havent ever lost or had a phone stolen ,,, yet .

This is the first I heard of Cerberus, might have to do some research on that one .

Alternatively there is also a Lookout Plan B ( its free)that can be remotely install on a "lost phone " after the phone has been lost (or stolen) as a tracking device.
Plan B can not wipe or lock the device however as far as I know

EvilMonkey

Jun 4, 2010
Visit site

Who the heck told you that? You log right into icloud.com and there are all your iDevices. Easy as pie.

The thing that makes the iOS one superior (and keep in mind I dumped my 4S for this sweet G3, is that it is just built into the OS... Now we can go out and get 3rd party apps, but the vast, vast majority of smartphone buyers are clueless and want stuff build it. :)

Maybe because on the writeup on the app store ([URL="http://itunes.apple.com/us/app/find-my-iphone/id376101648?mt=8&at=10l3Vy]link[/URL]) says "If you misplace your iPhone, iPad, iPod touch, or Mac, the Find My iPhone app will let you use another iOS device to find it and protect your data. Simply install this free app on another iOS device, open it, and sign in with your Apple ID."

And I did specifically mention the "Find My iPhone" app.

I didn't realize that was built in to iOS now to locate it. Even though it's not built into Android, you can still locate it easily enough since you can install something like AndroidLost from the Play Store after you lose it and still find the phone. Not quite built in, but you don't have to proactively use something like this before losing the phone.

Last edited: