Welcome to the Android Central Forums Create Your Account or Ask a Question Answers in 5 minutes - no registration required!
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
Like Tree9Likes

Global Posts
    11,176 Global Posts
    ROM
    Stock

Quote Originally Posted by dmcman73 View Post
    I have about 89 downloaded apps on my phone right now and I've only used about 1GB for the apps. After all the other "Misc" files and such on my phone, I have 10.61GB free. I have an SD card for all my pictures and music on it.

I can see wanting a 32GB if for some reason you don't want to use an SD card and store all your music/pictures on the phones internal memory.
    Many people opted for the 32GB due to it potentially having a higher resale value.
    Lorroth1 likes this.

Global Posts
    5,588 Global Posts
    ROM
    Stock

Default Re: 32GB Galaxy S3 is merely a 16GB with a 16GB Micro SD Card?

Quote Originally Posted by ScandaLeX View Post
    Many people opted for the 32GB due to it potentially having a higher resale value.
    Indeed.....lol

Well if I would have known I would have bought the 64GB

Sent from my SCH-I535 using Android Central Forums

Global Posts
    5,588 Global Posts
    ROM
    Stock

Quote Originally Posted by smbrooks32 View Post
    Well if I would have known I would have bought the 64GB

Eh, the 64gb card is overkill - especially with a 32gb device. If you have a 32gb card, you're set. I wouldn't worry about it.

Quote Originally Posted by dmcman73 View Post
    I have about 89 downloaded apps on my phone right now and I've only used about 1GB for the apps. After all the other "Misc" files and such on my phone, I have 10.61GB free. I have an SD card for all my pictures and music on it.

I can see wanting a 32GB if for some reason you don't want to use an SD card and store all your music/pictures on the phones internal memory.

Since there is only $50 difference I figured I would just get the larger memory....it's my trip tomorrow

I have a feeling that Costco doesn't sell the 32g model

Quote Originally Posted by ibcop View Post
    Eh, the 64gb card is overkill - especially with a 32gb device. If you have a 32gb card, you're set. I wouldn't worry about it.
    I bought a dell computer in 1993, a friend told me 1 gb was plenty. I filled it up in one year. It is true, most of what goes on will never be used.
    Nexus 7, stock.
    Galaxy Slll, stock.

Quote Originally Posted by JWLthief View Post
    Same here. Not that it makes a huge difference to me but I asked him several times and that's what he kept saying and now that I know it to be false, it kinda pisses me off

Edit: although with my wife's law enforcement discount on accessories, it turns out it was cheaper for me to get a 16 GB S3 + 16 GB sd card than a 32 GB S3
    Only drawback to what you did...

All your apps get stored in the phones 16 or 32gb memory. The Apps2SD storage or storing apps on your SD card no longer is an option on ICS. So with 16gb, after the phone takes its partition that it needs to run, you are left with only10-11gb for apps. Only thing you store on your SD card is your pics/vids/music and such.
    You will wish you had gotten the 32gb model down the road.

Apple's opening court statement...
    "It's easier to copy than Innovate"

Sent from my Innovative Galaxy S3

Global Posts
    57 Global Posts

Quote Originally Posted by bdmridgback View Post
    Only drawback to what you did...

All your apps get stored in the phones 16 or 32gb memory. The Apps2SD storage or storing apps on your SD card no longer is an option on ICS. So with 16gb, after the phone takes its partition that it needs to run, you are left with only10-11gb for apps. Only thing you store on your SD card is your pics/vids/music and such.
    You will wish you had gotten the 32gb model down the road.

Apple's opening court statement...
    "It's easier to copy than Innovate"

Sent from my Innovative Galaxy S3
    Yah...I looked more into this and what you're saying is true. I'm going to go to the store today and see what they say. Only thing is is that I'm past my 2 week have period (I'm at three weeks tomorrow)

Global Posts
    5,588 Global Posts
    ROM
    Stock

I'm certainly glad I swapped. A pain in the arse, but well worth it.

Quote Originally Posted by JWLthief View Post
    Yah...I looked more into this and what you're saying is true. I'm going to go to the store today and see what they say. Only thing is is that I'm past my 2 week have period (I'm at three weeks tomorrow)

Will jelly bean allow us to move aps to sd? Hate that I can't do it now
    Chicks Dig The Long Ball
    Banned

Global Posts
    2,524 Global Posts
    ROM
    Muzzyz 4.2.1 build

If u root it u can

Sent from my Nexus S 4G using Tapatalk 2

Global Posts
    1,460 Global Posts
    ROM
    Stock

Here's a little humor for you guys.

Official OpenROM Developer
    Want to contribute to OpenROM? Click HERE.
    Want to view my personal GitHub? Click HERE.

Quote Originally Posted by Lorroth1 View Post
    Since there is only $50 difference I figured I would just get the larger memory....it's my trip tomorrow
    I did the same as $50 more wasn't that big of a deal to me.

Global Posts
    490 Global Posts

Also remember that even if you get a high quality, high speed (class 10/uhs-1) micro sd card they will still be slower than internal memory. I got the 32 GB intending to only use internal memory until it gets full and then I will expand with and external SD card.

Global Posts
    5,588 Global Posts
    ROM
    Stock

Quote Originally Posted by trivor View Post
    Also remember that even if you get a high quality, high speed (class 10/uhs-1) micro sd card they will still be slower than internal memory. I got the 32 GB intending to only use internal memory until it gets full and then I will expand with and external SD card.
    In a phone, a Class 6 will work fine - unless you prefer a Class 10. Usually the Class 6 will be cheaper but I have seen to good deals on Class 10 cards.

Global Posts
    57 Global Posts

Well here's my update. Went into Verizon and told them what happened. The sales guy who told me the 32GB was an internal 16GB + 16 GB sd card wasn't there but the manager didn't dispute anything. However he said that since it was past 14 days the system would not let them do a return or exchange. He then went into a whole thing about how would I even full up all that memory and that a 64GB sd card should satisfy all my needs. I told him that wasn't the point. The point is that they sold me a phone and gave me the impression that I was buying something that I wasn't. I wasn't trying to pull any shenanigans...I was willing to pay the price for the 32GB when I originally went in and I was willing to pay the difference if they could do the exchange. But they couldn't do anything. He refunded me for the 16 GB card they originally sold me and credited me the difference between a 64 Gb and 16 GB card to purchase a 64 GB card from best buy. So in the end all I got was $53 for my troubles. I was very dissatisfied with his tone so when I got home I called Verizon directly. The first lady I spoke to was very understanding and she transferred me to the loyalty department. That lady was very understanding as well and tried as much as she could but she also could not do anything. I guess they really can't do anything after 14 days. I felt better though talking to the reps on the phone cuz they sounded like they actually cared.

It wasnt THAT big of a deal to me because I really like the phone and I was able to order a 32 GB sd card from amazon for less that the 16 GB sd card I originally purchased at the Verizon store. Will I be upset a year from now? I dont think so and I hope I wont. I had a 16 GB iphone 3Gs before this and never worried about needing extra memory

Global Posts
    48 Global Posts

A salesperson at verizon tried to pull this one on me as well. He almost had me convinced, until I took him to verizon's website and showed him that it said 32gig internal memory. He seemed to not care. Turns out they had no 32gb models in stock, so I suspect he just wanted to sell me the 16gb version because that was all they had. It is a shame that there a probably several people that got talked into a 16gb model with misinformation.

YOu guys are going to LOVE this....I went back to the same store Saturday. I explained to the salesman what had transpired (told 16 Int + 16 ext was same as 32 GB).....he said that is correct...I said "No it is not, I was mislead. Technically I do understand that 16+16=32, BUT that the 32 GB phone had 32 GB INTERNAL memory...." He argued, insisting that the two ideas were the same. He then said "I will show you"..I responded "fine, pull up verizons site"....he got the stupidest look on his face. He said I was correct (duh) and said that is what the all understood in that store (BS)....I told him I wanted to exchange the phone for a 32 GB....which was what I originally came in for. Now he begins to argue with me that I will never actually use 32 GB. I said it doesn't matter if I do or don't...it is the phone I came in for. Long story short...I am off to another store...they didn't have any...I would have had to turn in the phones we have and be phoneless.

I will let you know how that turns out
    MERCDROID likes this.

Global Posts
    5,588 Global Posts
    ROM
    Stock

YOu guys are going to LOVE this....I went back to the same store Saturday. I explained to the salesman what had transpired (told 16 Int + 16 ext was same as 32 GB).....he said that is correct...I said "No it is not, I was mislead. Technically I do understand that 16+16=32, BUT that the 32 GB phone had 32 GB INTERNAL memory...." He argued, insisting that the two ideas were the same. He then said "I will show you"..I responded "fine, pull up verizons site"....he got the stupidest look on his face. He said I was correct (duh) and said that is what the all understood in that store (BS)....I told him I wanted to exchange the phone for a 32 GB....which was what I originally came in for. Now he begins to argue with me that I will never actually use 32 GB. I said it doesn't matter if I do or don't...it is the phone I came in for. Long story short...I am off to another store...they didn't have any...I would have had to turn in the phones we have and be phoneless.

I could never find a store with a 32gb in stock. I even had one rep tell me "they are hard to find as they didn't make many of them." Yeah, okay. I ended up having to order one but Verizon did send it overnight at no charge.

Good luck!!

Global Posts
    5,588 Global Posts
    ROM
    Stock

Quote Originally Posted by cfairchi View Post
    A salesperson at verizon tried to pull this one on me as well. He almost had me convinced, until I took him to verizon's website and showed him that it said 32gig internal memory. He seemed to not care. Turns out they had no 32gb models in stock, so I suspect he just wanted to sell me the 16gb version because that was all they had. It is a shame that there a probably several people that got talked into a 16gb model with misinformation.
    Of course he wanted to sell you that 16gb model....add to his quota and get the commission.

Not to mention that the 16 gb is only 11 when u add in the bloat, and only specific data can be put onto a expandable sd card, so some of the data won't go on it even if there is a space.

Global Posts
    57 Global Posts

See my experience above. If you're past the 14 days you are SOL.

I'm going to buy a micro sd for my s3 I have 32gb internal and I wanted the 64gb micro sd now my question is the classes what's the differences? Is there one I need to stay away from getting?

Global Posts
    5,588 Global Posts
    ROM
    Stock

I would say the Class 10 is better - although I have read where some people were reporting some issues (i.e. lagging video, choppy songs, etc) when using a Class 10 card. It seems Best Buy sent some people Class 10 cards during the awesome sale they had on the 64gb card. The original deal was for a Class 6 card, which is the one I received - why some people got Class 10's I don't know. But I will tell you I haven't had a single issue with the Class 6. Price wise you can find good deals on the Class 10 cards but the Class 6 cards tend to be a little cheaper. I highly recommend a name brand card.
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast